Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
smalltalkdan
Channel Surfer

Can't add Prime Video channels (like Acorn and Discovery+)

First-time Roku user.

I have several channels that I subscribe to through Prime Video (Acorn, Discovery+, Epix) or Hulu (Cinemax) that I just can't get to work on the Roku other than using the Prime Video app. Several of these just don't work properly in the PV app - for example, searches on Acorn are clunky and results are often incomplete.

What I want is to use the Acorn, Discovery+, et al apps natively rather than using Prime. Can this be done?

TIA...dan

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
Ello2022
Roku Guru

Re: Can't add Prime Video channels (like Acorn and Discovery+)

It’s always best to subscribe directly to the individual apps website. Doing all your billing through Prime will only lead to issues. But you should be able to install Acorn TV, Discovery+, Hulu and Epix on your Roku and use your Prime credentials to log into them. 

0 Kudos
smalltalkdan
Channel Surfer

I agree I should, but there is no option to do so. There was for a few other channels I subscribe to through either Hulu or Prime, but not these.

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

No option for what? To subscribe or login? Each service you mentioned as it’s on website and it’s on way to subscribe directly through them. You should be able to log into them using your Amazon credentials if not you can ask Amazon. Or cancel all your subscriptions to those channels through Amazon and sign up individually for each. I am several different channels and I subscribe to each directly through the website. meaning my Netflix subscription is directly through Netflix, my Disney subscription is directly through Disney

0 Kudos
smalltalkdan
Channel Surfer

I *really* appreciate the help; however, you are incorrect that there is such an option for Acorn, Discovery+ or Epix. I agree there *should* be, and there is such an option for other channels, but not for these three. Amazon says that using the Prime portal is their solution.

Using Acorn as an example: after launching, there are options to Subscribe, Log in or Browse. Subscribe doesn't help, obviously. Log in asks for my email address and password, which I don't have - there is no option to use an existing service provider.

Note also that I subscribe to these through Amazon (similar problem with Cinemax from Hulu) because I got terrific deals. Yes, I can cancel and resubscribe, but it would be more expensive.

...dan

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

@smalltalkdan I’m incorrect about what? Signing in with your Prime credentials? That’s why I said cancel your subscriptions with Amazon and make sign up directly through the website. Like go to Acorn TV and make an account and sign up. Then download the Acorn TV to your Roku and login. That’s what 90% of people do. Have you tried logging into Acorn with the same credentials as your Amazon account?

0 Kudos
smalltalkdan
Channel Surfer

While I really appreciate your help, I am aware (as I have already mentioned) that I can cancel these subscriptions with Prime and Hulu and resubscribe directly. As I mentioned in a prior post, in each of these cases I got deals that were far better than anything available directly (and in each case I have a prepaid one-year subscription).

>> But you should be able to install Acorn TV, Discovery+, Hulu and Epix on your Roku and use your Prime credentials to log into them. <<

^^^That is what is incorrect, except for Hulu (which I didn't mention, and is already installed and working). Prime credentials do *not* work.

...dan

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

@smalltalkdan  Ok so are you looking for help or just venting? I offered help. Your refusing. So I’m not sure what answer your looking for? The deals you might be getting through Prime are usually only temporary and most services offer those deals from time to time. I got Hulu for .99 cents/month on Black Friday. I subscribe to several paid channels and all my subscriptions are billed directly through those websites. There are drawbacks with everything. Just do what’s best for you. If saving $5 means that much to you then keep subscriptions through Prime. I would rather choose convenience over press

0 Kudos
smalltalkdan
Channel Surfer

I was hoping for help. So far, you have (1) told me to stop doing what I'm doing and (2) given me incorrect information about what you believe will work (using Prime credentials). I have been very polite up to now, but I would prefer you stop trying to 'help.'

...dan

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

@smalltalkdan  Well no one else can offer you any help. You want to use Prime but you don’t like the way it works. So what other choice do you have?

0 Kudos