Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NoviceUser24
Reel Rookie

Can't access Local Antenna Channels

I've done everything you suggested:

Connect coax cable to my TCL Roku TV
Hide streaming channels
restart TV

Nothing works. Any other suggestions to access channels via my antenna?

Thank you

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Can't access Local Antenna Channels

Hi, @NoviceUser24

Thanks for posting, and welcome to the Roku Community.

We understand the issue you've had with the inability to access the Local Antenna channels on your Roku TV. Are you receiving any error codes? Also, have you tried rescanning the antenna input of your Roku TV? Further, have you ensured that the cables and cords are firmly attached?

Keep us posted.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
NoviceUser24
Reel Rookie

Hi - I haven't received an error code and I've done all of the above. No local channels have appeared after scanning the antenna input. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @NoviceUser24,

Welcome to the Roku community!
We will be pleased to help you with this matter going forward. Kindly try moving your antenna and attempting to scan the nearby channels once more.

We hope this helps.

Thanks,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
NoviceUser24
Reel Rookie

Thanks. I live in an apartment building and don't have access to my antenna. Could that be the problem?

0 Kudos
RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for the response, @NoviceUser24.

This is most likely the cause of the issue. Once you have access to your antenna, you can try the following:

Check your antenna connection:

• Ensure that your antenna is properly connected to your TV or tuner.
  • Make sure that the antenna cable is securely plugged into the antenna input on your TV or set-top box.

Antenna Position and Placement:

• Try repositioning your antenna for better signal reception. Sometimes, a slight adjustment can make a significant difference.
  • If you're using an indoor antenna, try moving it to a different location within your home, away from electronic devices that may cause interference.

Scan for channels:

• Perform a channel scan or auto-tune on your TV to ensure it is detecting all available channels. This function is usually available in the TV menu settings.
  • If you're using an external tuner or set-top box, check its menu for a channel scanning or tuning option.

Check Signal Strength:

• Some TVs provide a signal strength indicator during the channel scanning process. Check for this information to ensure that the signal strength for local channels is adequate.

Please keep us posted on what you find out.

Regards,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Bismarck318
Roku Guru

@NoviceUser24  Yes, an antenna is definitely necessary for local tuner viewing! 

Since you are in an apartment, try an indoor type antenna & place it in or by a window toward the signal direction of the stations (if possible).   Otherwise try on/near outside walls. Roof & wall material will have an effect on your signal too.  There will also be a difference in signal capture between UHF & VHF physical channels. 

I currently use an outdoor type antenna in my attic, as my HOA banned roof antennas. 

Good luck!

0 Kudos
NoviceUser24
Reel Rookie

Thank you for your help

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@NoviceUser24 It's entirely possible the "antenna" connection you have in your apartment is actually a cable connection, and there is no actual outdoor antenna. You would need to confirm that with your facility management. But every apartment I'm aware of offers a connection through a local cable company, and they don't have an over the air antenna.

I don't know your location, or how close you are to any local TV transmitter sites. But as a test, you might simply insert a wire into the center connection of the TV's antenna port (there's no power there, nothing that can harm you or you harm it). They try scanning for any TV channels. Assuming there are signals strong enough in the area, even something as small as a paperclip can sometimes be enough of an antenna to pick up at least some stations. This would confirm there's nothing wrong with your TV's tuner. Depending on the signal strength of your local stations, there are indoor TV antennas that actually work fairly well for receiving local stations. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Bismarck318
Roku Guru

@atc98092  True, many apartment buildings that were "rewired" for cable disconnected the MATV (Master Antenna TV) System.   This peeved me off as it implied the tenant is a captive customer to the cable company. 

@NoviceUser24  as suggested a "paper clip" may work, you may also try a short piece of coax cable as well, if you are very close to your transmitters. Also make sure your set tuner is set to "Antenna" (it may also be labeled ATSC, or Digital), not "Cable". 

The term "Digital" antenna is a misnomer, you may use any antenna optimized for use within the TV bands.     

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.