Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shellmoore
Reel Rookie

Re: All shows on older Roku boxes etc.. : "Is not available or has expired" Error

Has anyone been able to fix the issue with roku channels saying the episode is expired or no longer available? I am so frustrated with roku.  The customer service is terrible.  They have no answer for why it’s doing that.  They don’t seem to want to resolve the issue either.  

0 Kudos
Bellringer
Reel Rookie

Re: All shows on older Roku boxes etc.. : "Is not available or has expired" Error

Yes been having same issue for months now I had to stop watching due to that , guess they want use to buy new ones well I’m not . Yes same issues and customer service was no help . Not sure how a company can survive like this . It’s was very good when it worked but they had an update in their service and servers and coding don’t see old boxes due to no updates using old codes so their server kick old boxes off giving error codes. In other words the app don’t work with old running iso or their core running Roku . It’s the way companies make customers buy new products like apple,MS,androids, and so on but the pass on they will stop updating the security updates or the apps need to register through their system for  Sercurity reasons from the Arthur so they use many ways to make more money and the expensive products you bought from them will not work to it’s full potential due to the software or app that’s how the survive in business by screwing the people that support them simple , yes I’m pissed too. 

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Shellmoore @Bellringer

Thanks for the posts.

Can you please provide more specific information about the issue you are experiencing? What Roku model device are you using? What channel are you seeing this issue occur within? Can you please provide a screenshot of what is happening on screen?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
olecrewdog

Re: Can't Access Program/Is not available or has expired Error

Ditto, the problem (Can't Access Program and Not Available or Expired) only occurs in the Roku Channel. Seems that it occurs particularly with "specials" ever when the "special" program has not expired yet, like later into the month." I have just about given up on Roku Channel...suggest PlutoTV, it works. BTW, the device is a Roku 2XD.

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@olecrewdog wrote:

... the device is a Roku 2XD.

Roku actually ended support on the model 3050 Roku 2 XD a few years ago. That device isn't receiving updates, and has officially reached end of life.

If it's selected content within the app, and it sounds like it is, then it could be that something about the streams are not compatible with your legacy hardware. Or, it could be a glitch that's impacting supported users as well. Given the lack of others mentioning this, I'm leaning toward the former.

I don't think any apps support that device any longer, however you will find many that will work. This may be the beginning of a change in behavior for you, as you transition from apps that stop working to others apps with similar content that still work on legacy devices.

For what it's worth, the Roku Ultra is on sale right now. And Roku has last year's Walmart exclusive Roku Ultra LT on save (online only) for $40. link

But, if you decide to wait it out, you may find good prices later when you end up having to replace the device.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
rku_usr

Same error here, using Roku 3930X to view tv shows on the Roku Channel.  Seems related to Ads/Commercials.

When Does Error Occur?

1.  Episode hits a commercial marker OR

2. When first playing an episode

What Happens?

The episode stops playing and the screen goes black. Hitting the "Back" button and attempting to restart the episode shows the error "...not available or has expired". 

If you try to "Resume (the) episode" or "Play Episode" MANY, many times it will usually load a different commercial, allowing the episode to resume playing, but that's not a reasonable solution....

Questions:

Where can I find the error logs? Because it definitely seems like there's something about certain Ads that's contributing to/causing the error. Like the infamous bug causing some HD radio receivers to crash:

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/thanks-to-a-glitch-some-seattle-mazda-drivers-cant-tune-th...

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hello @rku_usr

Thanks for the post.

Have you tried removing the affected channel and then reinstalling it? If not, we suggest giving it a shot. To ensure the process is successful, restart your device before adding the channel back in. We would recommend doing this from the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > Power (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.) > System restart.

For detailed instructions, refer to this Support link: How do I resolve channel playback issues?

Let us know how it goes!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
r_usr2

@RokuKariza-D 

Tried that, same result.

What about the other questions? 

1. Where can I find the debug logs?

2. Are commercials causing the issue?

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

@r_usr2

Thanks for the reply.

Please provide us with the following information for further investigation:

1. Roku device model, Serial number, Device ID, Software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  2. Does this issue occur on a specific channel? If so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
  3. Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID)

With more information, we will be able to assist you further.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos