Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wldrnss77
Binge Watcher

Re: Block certain commercials

Lolololol As I stated, I already contacted Roku Channel. Your responses have me rolling. Thanks.

Ello2022
Roku Guru

@Wldrnss77  You can’t contact the “Roku channel”. You can email Roku support and what do you think they are going to do for you? Please explain to me how emailing Roku is going to magically help you filter commercials? Please do tell

0 Kudos
mop_891
Roku Guru

I hate to get into this but, i don't think the advertisers would be happy with any kind of ad filtering or blocking. They'd probably just take their business elsewhere, Roku's ad revenue would dry up and.......

Ello2022
Roku Guru

@mop_891  Exactly. Roku would have ask every single advertiser permission to block their commercials. That won’t happen 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Doesn't Youtube have the ability to filter ads?  You can choose options to stop seeing a particular ad. The options are Inappropriate, Repetitive, and Irrelevant.

It would not take years of coding.  It would also give immediate feedback to both Roku and the ad sponsors exactly what types of ads are being received positively and which are not.

Additionally, Roku has aquired Nielsen’s Advanced Video Advertising so Roku is not some hapless entity beholden to their advertisers.  They spend a considerable amount of money and energy in developing their advertising strategy.

The amount of ignorance and conjecture being bandied about is staggering.  Unless there is a push for Roku in one direction or the other, they will continue in the path of least resistance.

-----

The original question was whether specific ad concerns could be blocked or addressed in some manner.  Currently Roku does not provide a means to their users to do this.  It does not mean they do not have the ability.  It also does not mean the user cannot do this with alternative methods outside the Roku environment. Instead the thread, like many others (without particular mention), has developed into mind numbing ill-mannered advice and harassment.

It was not long ago in the Roku Community where users could actually have an interactive civil discourse and address their concerns and actually get reasoned feedback.  I can actually pinpoint the actual day when this all ceased.  

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

Ello2022
Roku Guru

@AvsGunnar  Google has a custom way to filter advertising. It’s in your Google account. Not YouTube. This whole thread was started by @Tdawgdad because he/she finds the new Fitbit commercial offensive. But yet the commercial airs live on national tv with out any problems.  This thread is about someone’s personal beliefs and not about blocking commercials. It’s gotten way out of hand. I have provided links of how to handle it. End of story 

If a commercial is offensive to one’s personal beliefs then reach out to the company who made the commercial. Also file a complaint with the FCC asking them to remove the commercial. Those are the first steps

0 Kudos
Tdawgdad
Binge Watcher

I don't find idiots and mentally ill people offensive. I would just rather not explain to my children why certain things are wrong and why society seems to think it's ok to encourage certain behaviors... that's also why I don't talk to them about this thread and your responses. 

Ello2022
Roku Guru

@ Your comment was reported. This isn’t about Roku or Fitbit. It’s about your own personal beliefs. In that case this community isn’t where to post about your own personal beliefs 

0 Kudos
Wldrnss77
Binge Watcher

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

0 Kudos
Wldrnss77
Binge Watcher

Your intelligent, informative and polite addition to the thread is refreshing. Ad choice is not unrealistic as it is available through various channels and apps. Greatly would improve viewer experience when people vary what they watch ie., adult vs. child content.  It absolutely would help companies find if their getting the responses desired and in demographics targeted.