Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tdawgdad
Binge Watcher

Block certain commercials

Is there a way to block or filter commercials/ads? I have kids and I would rather not see the FitBit commercial that has a dude dressed like a girl dancing on a stripper pole and then have to explain what's going on in that commercial to my kids.

71 REPLIES 71
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Block certain commercials

@Tdawgdad 

There used to be a time where you could probably contact the advertiser and voice your concerns.  As you are probably aware, this would now be a futile exercise.

Just explain to your kids, "This is what happens if you wear a FitBit - no FitBits allowed".

Then turn on a Rocky movie and show them the proper way to train.

------

Unfortunately, there is no way to currently filter ads.  You can maybe try disabling "Limit Ad Tracking" if currently enabled (maybe worth a shot, but probably won't change anything.).

[Settings/Privacy/Advertising/Limit Ad Tracking ]

-----

For what its worth, I have never seen this ad on Roku, but I have on Youtube.  I have the Ad Tracking disabled.  Could just be coincidence though.  Wish I could offer you better advice.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

Ello2022
Roku Guru

@Tdawgdad  Exactly what channel are you watching when you see this? PlutoTV? Tubi? Hulu? The Roku channel? 

0 Kudos
Tdawgdad
Binge Watcher

Roku channel

Tdawgdad
Binge Watcher

Oh yeah we watched bloodsport for good measure

Ello2022
Roku Guru

@Tdawgdad  So wait a minute here. You watched a violent rated R movie with your children but your upset over a Fitbit commercial? Commercials will be geared towards the content you are watching. If you were watching a G rated movie you would get G rated commercials. FYI……..Bloodsport is not available on the Roku Channel. 
E51DE76C-B1BE-40FE-9B65-0AAF9B46A18A.jpeg

28821CDC-22C3-40DF-B40C-072705E9F4A0.jpeg

Wldrnss77
Binge Watcher

Totally inappropriate commercial on Toku channel with stripper pole scene! How to block or change ad choices?

Tdawgdad
Binge Watcher

It was a joke in response to someone else. I was watching the universe and I'm pretty sure it's not geared towards what you're (not your)  watching. Thanks for your very enlightening lefty-progressive-sensitive Sally nobody cares solution

Ello2022
Roku Guru

@Tdawgdad  You asked for help. If you want help then be truthful. Roku cannot control the commercials you see. Nor is there a filter. Just like cable tv or satellite. No difference. FYI……The Universe is rated TV-14 so the commercial you saw is age appropriate for the content you were watching. 

Tdawgdad
Binge Watcher

Once again thanks for your ever- enlightening solution. Let me know when they start letting 14 year olds in strip clubs.