Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AmberRay
Reel Rookie

Black Screen on YouTube app

We are having issues with the YouTube app on our Roku. We have an Onn tv with Roku built in, but we also have 2 TCL tvs with Roku built in and even the Roku stick all won't work but YouTube works perfectly fine on our phones. Even if we try mirroring/casting from the phone to the TV YouTube won't work.

Everything works fine, Netflix, Hulu, Paramount Plus, Disney+, etc  except when we try to use YouTube. The YouTube app will open up without an issue. When we scroll over a video, the preview plays. But when we select the video, there is no video, just a black screen (Not even audio plays) 

I have tried restarting through the system, doing a hard restart by unplugging the tv and leaving it unplugged for several minutes. I deleted the YouTube app and reinstalled it multiple times (Even deleting YouTube then restarted the TV and then redownload the app), hooked up an ethernet cable, even connected my data hot spot to the TV,  restarted the YouTube app itself, checked/did multiple updates for both the YouTube app and the TV itself and even completely did a factory reset and nothing had helped. Our internet connection is excellent and our speeds are like 300/300 so I have no idea what the issue can be and no idea how to fix it and this has become very frustrating. It's been on going 2 days now since this had happened. 

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Brucek1
Reel Rookie

Re: Black Screen on YouTube app

My youtube works ok, but I do notice that when I log in when I cursor across the videos my screen will blank for a little bit, but it does come back right away.

Have you tried deleting and reloading the app? Also, check your youtube login?

0 Kudos
AmberRay
Reel Rookie

Yes, I restarted the tv, did a hard restart by unplugging the tv and leaving it unplugged for several minutes. I deleted the YouTube app and reinstalled it multiple times (Even deleting YouTube then restarted the TV and then redownload the app), hooked up an ethernet cable, even connected my data hot spot to the TV, restarted the YouTube app itself, checked/did multiple updates for both the YouTube app and the TV itself, logged in/out of YouTube and used a different account, and even completely did a factory reset on my TV and nothing had helped

0 Kudos
Brucek1
Reel Rookie

I had a very weird thing happen to me with my ROKU. One day it just froze and would not start up, as you describe. I did everything I could think of to bring it back. Then I ordered another unit since mine was very old and out of warranty. When the new one came, just for the heck of it I thought I'd give the old one a try again, and when I plugged it all up together again, it worked. I returned the new one and it's been working fine ever since. I have no idea what the problem was. One person here mentioned they changed the HDMI port and it started working.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hi Community users,

Thanks for the posts.

Can you please provide us the following information:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
  • tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times and provide us with this ID)
  • steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information, we will be able to investigate the issue.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos