Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nigelbb
Reel Rookie

Re: BBC iPlayer won't run on Roku Ultra

Jump to solution

The annoying thing is that there is no technical reason preventing BBC iPlayer working on the Roku Ultra. I bought mine in 2017 & initially BBC iPlayer didn't work & just showed the splash screen then dropped out. For a period of a few weeks around August 2017 BBC iPlayer did work OK on the Roku Ultra then subsequently stopped working but this time with the message saying that the device wasn't supported & this is how the situation has remained. Every few months I get my Roku Ultra out of the box to see whether BBC iPlayer works again but thus far have always been disappointed.

0 Kudos
RTM
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Huge corporations playing licensing games. On the other hand, the BBC these days is awful. We ‘Defunded the BBC’ (legally ended our incense and got a refund) some months ago. We no longer watch any live broadcast TV or use iPlayer, and have not missed it one bit.

0 Kudos
Krobar1
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

The BBC seem to be desperately trying to annoy as many TV license payers as possible. There is no good reason for blocking IPlayer, the same GeoIP blocking used by other streaming services is also used by the BBC anyway.

They did a similar thing with radio service making BBC radio stations unavailable to service like vtuner because they could not provide them with session information/login disgusting behaviour for an entity funded by compulsory tax. 

scott23c
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I understand the BBC not wanting US Roku devices running iPlayer as US viewers don't pay UK TV licence fees and would be able to watch content for free.

I have an issue with both sides, BBC for not allowing Roku devices from UK IP addresses running iPlayer app. I also understand why as the use of a VPN routed through UK server would enable access from outside UK.

And 

Roku for not selling the Ultra or the device with an Ethernet socket in the UK. I have a centralised system in a metal equipment rack which affects WI-FI. I know that I am in the minority but there are systems like mine out there. How hard is it to make the Ultra available in the UK.

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@scott23c wrote:

Roku for not selling the Ultra or the device with an Ethernet socket in the UK. I have a centralised system in a metal equipment rack which affects WI-FI. I know that I am in the minority but there are systems like mine out there. How hard is it to make the Ultra available in the UK.

Since I can't tell from here in the States, is the new Express 4K+ player available in the UK? If so, it supports an external USB/Ethernet adapter. I picked one of these up about a month ago (the player, not the adapter) and it works almost as well as my Ultra 4800. No Dolby Vision of course, and I don't know if iPlayer is supported on it yet. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
scott23c
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

In the UK we have an Express and an Express 4K model. Do you know what usb to Ethernet adapter works with Roku?

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

https://support.roku.com/article/360058027813

This tells everything you need to know about using a USB network adapter. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Five_Alive
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

So please provide details as to where you can see both of these to identify if your correct 

kind regards 

0 Kudos
Five_Alive
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I bought mine in the uk and I have the same issue. 
I’m and IT tech it’s in and using a VPN gets round all providers, country limitations. 

Netflix Amazon etc 

it’s more likely to not let you download the app rather than download it and then say no. 
so my gut would say this is more along the lines of it not been a supported device on the accepted list. 

0 Kudos
Five_Alive
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Perhaps the answer is to re flash the box to uk firmware. If it’s possible. 
on you sly this isn’t a restriction they should do because it’s not perfect, we are British people not able to access iPlayer from a restriction that doesn’t apply to us so who ever decided this should be a thing should be sacked 

0 Kudos