Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Swift4551
Reel Rookie

Australian restrictions . No BINGE or STAN. Garbage !!!

I've recently been using a roku2 Telstra TV 4200TL.  .  I was impressed by the  user-friendly interface . Allowing 4G mobile data hotspot connectivity ..  providing access to Netflix ,STAN  ,Binge , prime, Disney plus etc.... As well as multiple apps for free to air TV. 7plus, 9now 10play ,,     .    Then last week  I upgraded to the Roku express 4k+3941x . What a mistake  useless. And it can't even be repurposed as a doorstop as it's too light   .  Unless I cloak my Australian identity with the USA VPN.   The Roku app doesn't work account cost because I don't have a router...      Rant rant rant !! .    Android I'm coming home

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Australian restrictions . No BINGE or STAN. Garbage !!!

Roku devices aren't supported in Australia other than those Telstra branded devices.  The two devices use different Channel Stores and as you've discovered not all channels/apps are supported in all regions.  You take your chances when you import a device that isn't officially supported in your regions.

Discussion of VPNs to circumvent regional restrictions isn't allowed here:

Roku Community Guidelines - Roku Community 

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
AnnieBee

This wasn’t listed so customers were aware, like me, when I purchased it from an Australian store, in Australia! Disgusting, so useless and disappointed!

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@AnnieBee, this thread was started before Australia was officially supported and it spoke of using a VPN to get around restrictions (which isn't allowed here).  Most, if not all, of the apps mentioned should be available to users in Australia with accounts set up in Australia.

If you're trying to use a VPN for some reason, we can't help you.  If you're having some other problem, let us know what it is and maybe we can help.

You can see what apps are available in Australia by going to:
https://channelstore.roku.com/en-au/browse/

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @AnnieBee,

Thanks for the first post in the Roku Community!

Please be advised that Roku does not directly sell or market Roku devices in that location, but a Roku device will work anywhere.

Some channels and services may be unavailable on the Roku platform in your location. Netflix and YouTube tend to work just about anywhere; however, other streaming channels (apps) may have geo-restrictions that don't allow them to be offered or streamed in those locations. You'd need to reach out to any specific channel/service provider directly to inquire further and request additional information.

We're always looking to expand our presence, and we appreciate you reaching out to share your interest.

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos