Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Fred625ax
Reel Rookie

Apple TV+ subtitles disappearing

Jump to solution

My wife is a hearing-impaired viewer trying to watch Apple TV+ programming on a Roku Express (model 3930x) using hearing aids and SUBTITLES.

Regardless of which program we watch on Apple TV+, the SUBTITLES display correctly - for a minute or two - and then they simply disappear.

To get them "working" again, we back out of the Apple TV+ app completely and go to a different channel, then navigate back to Apple TV+ and restart the program where we left off.

The SUBTITLES then work again - for a minute or so - before disappearing again.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Re: Apple TV+ subtitles disappearing

Jump to solution

Hey @Fred625ax 

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community!

Does the subtitle issue only occur on Apple TV+ or across other channels installed on your Roku device?

If you haven't tried yet, you can remove the affected channel and then re-install it. To ensure the process is successful, restart your device before adding the channel back in. We would recommend doing this from the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > Power (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.) > System restart.

For detailed instructions, refer to this Support link: How do I resolve channel playback issues?

Let us know if there's any difference after.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Hey @Fred625ax 

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community!

Does the subtitle issue only occur on Apple TV+ or across other channels installed on your Roku device?

If you haven't tried yet, you can remove the affected channel and then re-install it. To ensure the process is successful, restart your device before adding the channel back in. We would recommend doing this from the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > Power (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.) > System restart.

For detailed instructions, refer to this Support link: How do I resolve channel playback issues?

Let us know if there's any difference after.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Fred625ax
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you for your reply Kariza. I will try your suggestions and see if they resolve the issue.

The subtitles only disappear when using the Apple TV+ channel/app. Subtitles still seem to work fine on all other channels (Netflix, Prime Video, etc).

Note - We just recently started a 3-month trial subscription to Apple TV+, which is when we started noticing the problem.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Fred625ax 

Thanks for the response.

The troubleshooting above should resolve the issue you are experiencing, however, if the issue is still unresolved, please reply back and we will be able to assist you further.

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Fred625ax
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I deleted the Apple TV+ channel, restarted the Roku, and re-installed the channel, as recommended.

It did indeed seem to solve the subtitle problem. Hopefully permanently 🙂

Thank you again for the help.