We are trying to watch Ted Lasso / AppleTV on our Roku Premier + (4630X / software 10.5.0 • build 4208-29). We use the TV speaker, no soundbar. The sound will go out intermittently during the show. Usually just a couple of seconds but sometimes up to 30. Tonight the image started freezing and the sound went out of sync with the show. We have dumped the cache on the Roku, deleted and the reinstalled the AppleTV app, and changed the audio settings (auto to Dolby & back to auto). Apple support referred back to Roku, saying the problem on the Roku side.
This only happens with the Apple TV app, no other streaming apps are affected.
Did you restart your Roku device before re-installing the channel? That step is crucial when performing the troubleshooting. If you haven't tried the suggested order (remove > restart > re-install), we would recommend giving it a shot once again. We also suggest doing the restart in the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > System restart > Restart.
The ATV app is more device-resource intensive than most other apps (and less efficient with them), as well as using higher-than-average bitrates and more susceptible to changing network conditions (dropped frames/resolution/dropouts/de-sync).
You are also using an older slower less-capable 5+ year-old model (4630).
Things to try:
1) Change audio to STEREO: Settings/Audio/Digital output format=Stereo
2) Manually configure display to 1080p/720p: Settings/Display type=1080p/720p
4) Switch to 5Ghz WiFi (if your 2.4+5Ghz SSIDs arent separated, you'll need to separate them)
5) Use ethernet instead of WiFi (less susceptible to network issues that cause de-sync/dropouts/etc)
6) Try a different/new HDMI cable (audio dropouts are common with older/"gone bad" cables)
7) Buy a new Roku - Express 4K+ (3941), Streaming Stick 4K (3820) are inexpensive ($25-50, currently $40) -if you want/need wired ethernet, get the Ultra/Ultra LT (or a USB ethernet adapter for the Express 4K+).
😎 Buy a competitor's device - FS4K/M, TS4K, O4KSB, GCCWTV are all obtainable for $20-50
Thanks so much for this. You are the first to inform me about possible issues with my actual Roku device and what you suggested worked. Roku is currently having a $30 off sale on the Ultra - we have purchased it and look forward to no longer having issues. Again, thanks so much for taking the time. I appreciate it! 🙂