Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ignaurus13
Channel Surfer

Apple TV App will not allow Apple One family users to get past trial offer prompts

I cannot view Apple TV content as a Apple One family subscription plan user. Issue only happening on Roku devices (tried multiple) , using a user account that is not the main Apple One subscriber (tried multiple family users). WORKING FINE ON NON_ROKU DEVICES. ALSO THE APPLE MUSIC APP ON ROKU WORKS JUST FINE. NO ISSUES USING THE MAIN APPLE ONE ACCOUNT.

-Apple authentication works fine.

-Apple Family Sharing works as I can see other family member's content, so we know authentication is working and family sharing services are enabled.

-Can only see one episode for shows and see option for a 3 month trial because I am a Roku user.

-Cannot get past trial offer nor can I accept the trial offer as the app tells me I am already on a family plan and eligible for Apple TV for free, but continues to keep me stuck.

-Was previously able to watch programs until this past Labor Day weekend, when my Apple App on Roku launched as logged out and after logging in again experienced this issues.

-Originally used a Roku 3 but purchased a Roku LT Ultra in case the Roku 3 was no longer supported; both Roku experiencing the issue.

-Reported to Apple Support. Verified the service eligibility, configuration, and the accounts used as well as successful authentication. They blame Roku and have no solution other then to buy an Apple TV device.

-Already reset both Rokus, reset Apple TV App, removed/reinstalled Apple App.

-Tried using someone else's Roku on a different Internet provider.

I suspect a recent update to the Apple TV app has broken the Apple One family subscription capability. The Apple Music app on Roku works just fine. Is anyone else seeing this problem? How can I escalate to the Apple TV app team?

Thanks! See below for photos.

#AppleTV

Logged but trial offer enabledLogged but trial offer enabledI can see Family Sharing contentI can see Family Sharing contentAttempt to accept trial offerAttempt to accept trial offerTrial offer denied as I should already have the service for freeTrial offer denied as I should already have the service for freeStill logged but trial offer enabledStill logged but trial offer enabled

Apple Music app working fine with same user accountApple Music app working fine with same user account

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

Re: Apple TV App will not allow Apple One family users to get past trial offer prompts

@ignaurus13 

FYI, apple codes and maintains and publishes the Apple TV/Music apps (and the AirPlay functionality, which is actually a set of hidden apps) for Roku - they are entirely responsible for them

Its ironic and interesting that Apple support declined to support their own app - if the latest update broke it, they need to either revert it or issue another (hopefully fixed) update.

You need to pursue and push this with Apple CS.

Otherwise, you can report the app to Roku (who can collect and pass on the info to Apple):

Highlight the ATV app/Options (*)/Give us feedback/Could not log in or authenticate

ignaurus13
Channel Surfer

Re: Apple TV App will not allow Apple One family users to get past trial offer prompts

I have sent feedback as you instructed. Thank you.

0 Kudos
ignaurus13
Channel Surfer

Apple Support is unable to address or escalate the issue. I have sent additional feedback via https://www.apple.com/feedback/apple-tv-app/ where you can specify Roku related issues.

0 Kudos
SBF2023

Same issue here. I have family sharing but the Apple+ app on the Roku will not recognize it. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@SBF2023

Thanks for the post.

For more information about that channel's authentication and functionality, you'll want to contact the channel provider support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
ignaurus13
Channel Surfer

Unfortunately there is no direct way to do so. I've already provided feedback through the channel review, called Apple support (unaware of how to escalate), and posted on communities. Basically my last effort is to post here and hope a Roku rep talks to an Apple developer about it.

0 Kudos