Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Panos
Binge Watcher

Re: Amazon prime not available on Roku Ultra in Germany

Purchased roku 3940eu express 4k from Germany and I live in an EU country (namely CY) where primevideo is working fine in all my other devices, latest google TV, 2 smart TVs, iphone app etc. only device it does not work so far is Roku 3940eu.

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@Panos 

Roku is supported in Germany. Roku is not supported in Cyprus.

Many services will not support their app on Roku in a country in which Roku itself isn't supported. They may support their service on other platforms, but not on platforms which themselves aren't supported. Roku isn't supported there, so the Roku app won't work there.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

atc98092

Amazon controls which countries their app will work in on Roku devices, so that's where you need to ask. Prime Video may work fine on other devices, but Amazon has to grant permission for it to be available on Roku devices there. It's not something Roku can control. 

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Panos
Binge Watcher

Already contacted Amazon and got a reply that they will speak with platform software developers to see if issue can be resolved or not. Wish I could get a similar reply from Roku.

0 Kudos
atc98092

@Panos wrote:

Already contacted Amazon and got a reply that they will speak with platform software developers to see if issue can be resolved or not. Wish I could get a similar reply from Roku.

But Roku doesn't provide support for 3rd party apps, such as Prime Video. They can't, as they have nothing to do with the app/channel development and deployment. All they could do is tell you the same thing we have said: contact Amazon. 

Dan

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
DBDukes

@Panos 

What you got from Amazon was a "get you off the phone" type of response. And it worked. You're here and not speaking with the people that actually control that. Amazon controls where their app works. Roku doesn't.

Roku allows developers to pick where the apps are supported, and which devices support the apps. Simply put, Roku has the world divided up into regions, with each region being a country (or group of countries) where Roku is supported. Then there's a "Rest of the World" (RotW) region. That's everywhere that Roku isn't supported. Cyprus falls there. It's provided so the developer can support the app if they want, although Roku won't support any of it there.

If the app developer doesn't code the app to work in RotW, then it won't. It won't show up on the device as an option to add. If you do somehow obtain it, it won't work (or at least, it won't work correctly). And Roku controls none of that. They cede control to the app developers. And the app developers for Amazon don't work for Roku. They work for Amazon.

All that to say you already got the correct answer, just one you didn't like.

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

Panos
Binge Watcher

Nice. I believe now both parties are informed of the issue in hand, one developing the app and one offering the app on their website (add channel).

This seems a joined issue and both parties involved need to do their part. It takes two to tango as one has to offer it on their website as at the moment this is not the case and the other give access rights for the RoW.

Thanks for your replies.

DBDukes

@Panos 

Roku will not offer an app on their product in any area the app developer does not approve. Roku gives the app developer the freedom to support the app where the developer chooses. Roku is not causing anything to fail to appear. Roku's setup is working. If Amazon chooses to not support their Roku app in your country, that is Amazon's decision. There is nothing for Roku to do. They will not override the app developer's decision.

DBDukes

0 Kudos
Egui
Binge Watcher

Hi,

I live in Paraguay, the Amazon Video app works on my smart TV, but the Amazon Video app is not available on my Roku Premiere.

I wrote to Amazon technical support to ask what the problem is and they answered that the problem is that Roku does not enable the app for my country.

Please let the managers of Roku solve this problem with the Amazon company or we will not buy any more Roku devices.

Why the Roku company does not enable the app??? Is there an official link where I describe the real situation????

Thank you very much.

0 Kudos
renojim

@Egui, Roku doesn't enable apps for any country - the developer of the app does.  When the developer chooses what countries to support the list only includes countries Roku supports.  Roku has a limited list of countries that they support and Paraguay isn't one of them.  If Roku doesn't support your country they obviously don't care if anyone there buys their devices.  If they did, they would support your country, so your threat means nothing to them.  There is one other option you can take up with Amazon - there's the "Rest of world" selection a developer can make, but that's up to Amazon and I doubt you'll get ahold of anyone at Amazon that understands that.

For reference, here's the list of countries:

United States
Argentina
Australia
Brazil
Canada
Chile
Colombia
Costa Rica
El Salvador
France
Germany
Guatemala
Honduras
Ireland
Mexico
Nicaragua
Panama
Peru
Rest of World
United Kingdom

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos