Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LAmy

Amazon prime tells me I need to upgrade my Roku

Jump to solution

Amazon Prime is telling me that I need to upgrade my Roku. All other channels are fine (so far).  I have a Roku Player 3500x.  software version 10.5.0.   I do not have a smart TV and all viewing is through my wi-fi ( no cable or satellite dish). I have no  clue as to what to upgrade to and if it would be compatible with my TV.  Thanks for any advice.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Amazon prime tells me I need to upgrade my Roku

Jump to solution

@LAmy 

You only need need to upgrade your Roku device to a newer model if you wish to continue viewing the Amazon Prime Video Channel.  The older Roku streaming players just won't be able to handle the newer requirements of the changing Prime Video Channel.   Here is a longer thread that is explaining it. (https://community.roku.com/t5/Channel-Issues-Questions/Is-Amazon-no-longer-going-to-support-the-Prim...)

Your Roku 3500X does appear to be one of those affected.

To answer your question about compatibility, any of the newer line of Roku devices should be compatible with just about any TV that has an HDMI port.  Here is the link to Roku's product page.  (https://www.roku.com/products/players).  You can buy from Roku directly, or in a store like Best Buy, Walmart, Target, etc.

The "4k" listed on the devices just means this is the maximum video output.  You do not have to have a 4k TV to use these devices.  I recently added an Express 4k+ (model 3941) to one of my older TVs and works great.  Hope that helps a bit.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

Ruth2

Re: Is Amazon no longer going to support the Prime Video app on certain Roku devices as of 11/1/21

Jump to solution

You will know on Nov 1, 2021, there will be a message that your device no longer supports Prime Video. If you scroll up from where you posted your question there is a list. But I'm sure you know this by now. I don't have the stick , but you would think the model number would be on it somewhere.

0 Kudos
Pekkle
Reel Rookie

Re: Amazon Prime Models Supported

Jump to solution

I purchased the Roku Express as suggested by Roku but the signal was so strong that it "took over" my TV according to the Spectrum technician who came over and didn't allow me to access my regular TV channels. I returned it and Roku sent me another Roku Express but I had the same problem. Does anyone know of another model that  is less powerful but will access Amazon Prime?

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Pekkle, I think the Spectrum technician is feeding you a story.  What do mean by it's taking over your regular TV channels?  Do you have a separate cable box connected to your TV as well as the Express?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
RadioButch

Re: Is Amazon no longer going to support the Prime Video app on certain Roku devices as of 11/1/21

Jump to solution

"NORMAL"?   i will be cancelling

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Pekkle 

Try turning off 1-touch play on the Roku (Under Home->Settings->System->Control other devices), or turn off HDMI-CEC on the TV.  (Depending on the TV brand, HDMI-CEC may have a different name like "anynet".)

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

All of the other apps, including Netflix work perfectly fine with my original antiquated ROKU device which I’ve been using with no problem for 15 years. Now we have to spend more of our hard earned crumbs to accommodate this unanticipated inconvenience. That’s bovine droppings. 

nolanbb

Jump to solution

I don't think my Roku is that old.  All other apps work fine.  It's only Amazon who chose to do this.  Poor customer service.  I canceled my Amazon Prime, as Prime Video was the main reason why I had it.

0 Kudos
MizzS
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I've just seen this same message come up on my ROKU after trying to use Amazon Prime and frankly I'm furious. My ROKU otherwise works fine with all other channels. This feels like a greedy and irresponsible  ploy to force people to buy new devices they don't need, meanwhile creating even more e-waste from all the otherwise perfectly functional devices which will go into landfill. Between this and their refusal to deal with many other persistent bugs, this is just another reason to ditch ROKU altogether.

0 Kudos