Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KTS
Channel Surfer

All4 crashes on Roku Express

I've had a Roku Express for just over six months, and it's been working without any issues until now.

Today, All4 would not work - when I select the channel, its home screen comes up and immediately returns to the Roku home page. I have tried removing and adding the channel back, and doing a factory reset of the device - neither has solved the problem, just two hours of my life down the tube Smiley Frustrated.

I see other posts similar to this but none with an obvious resolution. Can an expert or a mod give me a clue why this happens, or how o fix it?

Sidebar: I tried casting All4 from my iPhone to Roku/AirPlay - it started initially, but just would not connect after a few seconds. All these issues started after I got an error whilst in BBC iPlayer about HDCP  1.4 compatibility; I unplugged all HDMI cables, powered off the TV and the Roku, and since then, just can't get All4 to work. I wouldn't be surprised if there are issues with other channels, after two hours, I can't be bothered to fault-find any more!

22 REPLIES 22
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: All4 crashes on Roku Express

Hi @KTS,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We'd like to take a closer look to see if there's anything else we can suggest to help.

Are all other streaming channels playing content normally? Please make sure to restart your Roku device after removing the channel and before adding the channel back to ensure the process is successful.

See more tips and troubleshooting steps for this type of issue here: How do I resolve channel playback issues? | Official Roku Support United Kingdom 

Please keep us posted and we'll continue assisting you from there.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
KTS
Channel Surfer

Hi @RokuMary-F ,

Thanks for responding!

Yes, all other channels are playing fine. The only other glitch was not being able to stream AirPlay content - I wanted to try this as a workaround to see if I could play All4 on another device and cast it to Roku, but that didn't work either Smiley Sad.

With regards to restating, I did a full factory reset after removing/adding the channel didn't work. I think that should overcome any issues that  a restart might not!

Would really appreciate some help.

With regards,

KTS

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @KTS,

Thanks for the quick response.

If removing the channel and adding it back after you've restarted the device does not resolve the channel issue, I'd recommend reaching out to the channel support directly to report the issue and request additional support. Many channels on the Roku platform are developed and maintained by the channel provider directly, and they'll be able to best assist. If other channels are working correctly, and you only experience this issue on that channel (app), that is likely an indication that the issue lies within that particular channel. In these cases, the channel provider will need to investigate the issue in order to help resolve it.

In regards to your Airplay or Casting inquiry to stream All 4, there are many factors to check. Here's a link to our support page to find out more about the Airplay and Casting feature: 

How to use AirPlay and HomeKit with your Roku® streaming device | Official Roku Support United Kingd... 

How do I cast apps like YouTube or Netflix from my phone to my TV? | Official Roku Support United Ki...

Please keep us posted on what you find out.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Martyn1
Reel Rookie

I am on my second Roku device because All4 never worked properly on the first one. I kept it for over 2 years and recently bought another Roku express just Incase the other one was faulty and All4 still won't work properly on the new device. So basically I wanted money on the new one. I have been in contact with channel 4 support quite a lot of times about the issues and it never got resolved. I had to recently uninstall the app completely because it's unusable.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hi @Martyn1

We're sorry to hear about the issue you're experiencing.

Could you tell us specifically what happens when you open the All4 channel? Do you receive an error code or message? Have you checked the other channels installed on your Roku device if the same problem occurs? 

Please let us know. We'd like to know more about how we can help.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
KTS
Channel Surfer

I thought I had posted a reply a couple of weeks ago but but not sure what happened.

Just want to make two points:

1. The issue with All4 still remains. It is the only mainstream app to have this behaviour, and none of the standard fixes like reset/re-install make any difference.
  2. From similar feedback on the forum, it is obvious that this has been ongoing for a while and is not an uncommon issue.

I am unable to reach Channel 4 to get any support. Given the extent of the issue and the frustration that many users are clearly experiencing, it would be the customer-centric thing to do for Roku to advocate resolution with Channel 4, instead of sending users off to contact C4 - which is not producing any result.

PunyDan

Hi

I agree, this is a problem I am recently experiencing. Since trying to watch a film cast from my PC through the Roku the all4 app no longer works. This hasn't effected any other app. I tried uninstall/reinstall etc. But to no avail. Seeing as clearly this is an issue with only all4 and several users are experiencing the same Roku should resolve with Channel 4 on users behalf.

Cheers

Philstollery
Channel Surfer

Broken. Done a full reset and still crashes. Roku should have the logs maybe not enough people are watch All4. 

Might change now crufts is on 😁

0 Kudos
Philstollery
Channel Surfer

I FOUND A FIX

The app only crashes on the Home page of the All4 app - if you quickly press the down arrow on the control before the homepage can load it won't crash. 

Just have to remember not to navigate up to the home for ever and you can watch and search for programs on All4. 

You're welcome.