Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Neil13764
Streaming Star

Advertisements on my Roku Ultra

Jump to solution

If I subscribe to a Roku channel (like YouTube), how are the amount of commencials in comparason to subscribing directly tp YouTube?

YouTube is only used as an example so if it is different for different channels, please let me know

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Advertisements on my Roku Ultra

Jump to solution

Ads within a channel not controlled by Roku (The Roku Channel is really the only one they control) are under the sole control of the channel provider. YouTube for example is owned and operated by Google, so they control the ads seen on their channel. Some people believe they see more ads on Roku devices when using YouTube compared to other platforms. That may be true, but it's still Google that's controlling it, not Roku. Remember, Google owns and sells a competing product (Chromecast), so they may make ads more intrusive on Roku platforms. I don't think it would be legal, but someone would have to make the effort to determine if it's true.

When you mention "subscribing" to a channel, I don't think YouTube is one you can subscribe to through Roku. There are a number of premium services that you can subscribe to through The Roku Channel, but I don't think YT is one of them. Remember that if you subscribe to anything through Roku, you can only access that subscribed content on a Roku device. For example, if you subscribe to Paramount+ or Showtime through Roku, you can only access those services via a Roku device. You won't be able to log into those services from a computer or other streaming device. 

Roku does offer to channel developers an ad product, but the ultimate control of the ads is still done by the channel developers, not Roku.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Ads within a channel not controlled by Roku (The Roku Channel is really the only one they control) are under the sole control of the channel provider. YouTube for example is owned and operated by Google, so they control the ads seen on their channel. Some people believe they see more ads on Roku devices when using YouTube compared to other platforms. That may be true, but it's still Google that's controlling it, not Roku. Remember, Google owns and sells a competing product (Chromecast), so they may make ads more intrusive on Roku platforms. I don't think it would be legal, but someone would have to make the effort to determine if it's true.

When you mention "subscribing" to a channel, I don't think YouTube is one you can subscribe to through Roku. There are a number of premium services that you can subscribe to through The Roku Channel, but I don't think YT is one of them. Remember that if you subscribe to anything through Roku, you can only access that subscribed content on a Roku device. For example, if you subscribe to Paramount+ or Showtime through Roku, you can only access those services via a Roku device. You won't be able to log into those services from a computer or other streaming device. 

Roku does offer to channel developers an ad product, but the ultimate control of the ads is still done by the channel developers, not Roku.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Neil13764
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Thanks for the explanation

0 Kudos