Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reel Rookie

Advertisement choice and skipping function.

I understand advertisements pay the bills but there are certain ads I find objectionable or that play over and over and over.    Is there any way to skip these ads?   I am willing to watch  ads just not SOME ads. For example some hygiene ads are just too disgusting for me, and I am not a target for the product anyway.    I know, the obvious answer is just leave the room and come back when the ad is over.   Perhaps a setting that gives a choice of ad subjects could be added? 

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Strega
Roku Guru

Re: Advertisement choice and skipping function.

Another possible answer is that there are hundreds if not thousands of channel/apps on Roku, so if you’re not totally happy with whichever one you are using now, you could try some others.  And if people migrate away from this channel, then that’s serious incentive to change something.  On the other hand, I think people complaining about ads, but continuing to watch, tells them that they have the annoyance level “just about right”.  😉

0 Kudos
Reel Rookie

Re: Advertisement choice and skipping function.

Yes of course you are right.   I need to search roku to see if the documentary I want to watch is on another streaming app.    What I'm trying to watch is on Freevee.  I've already cut down on my time spent watching Freevee because of the ads algorithm.  PlutoTV is the same.  The same stupid ad plays over and over.   I've had to limit my time watching some shows I like because of the ads.    YouTube is another offender.  I know YouTube wants you to buy the ad free service.   A friend who did that says there are still ads embedded in the content.  Music streaming services have a thumbs down feature for songs.     The same idea would work for ads.    Let me click a thumbs down.  It's a win win solution. 

0 Kudos