Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jonesgroup
Channel Surfer

Acorn TV lost my Recently Watched, doesn't keep track of watch progress

Jump to solution

Hello,

We have subscribed to Acorn TV through Roku for several years.  Two days ago these problems started abruptly:

1. The Recently Watched row disappeared.  (We have watched dozens of shows.)

2. The watch progress bar for any uncompleted show (red bar at the bottom, displayed when paused)  episode is unsaved.  If I exit and restart the episode it starts at 0.

3. All previously-watched shows start at Season 1, Episode 1.

4. However my Watch List is still present and correct.

We were logged in.  I logged out and back in.  I reset the Roku+ stick.  No improvement.  Acorn recommends uninstalling and reinstalling the channel, but there is no uninstall option in Roku since we subscribe to it through Roku.

If the problem persists I will cancel the subscription through Roku and subscribe direct, since Acorn notes there have been complaints with the Acorn interface provided by Roku.

Any other suggestions?  Thank you.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TheRealEJ
Reel Rookie

Re: Acorn TV lost my Recently Watched, doesn't keep track of watch progress

Jump to solution

Yes, fixed. Working on the Roku Ultra and Nvidia Shield TV. What isn't working is removing a show from Recently Watched. (Have tried to do that repeatedly after  bingeing the five seasons of Line of Duty). Anyway, I guess the fix required intervention from The JonesGroup! Thank you, and happy streaming.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
23 REPLIES 23
davidjazz
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Same thing happened to me yesterday. I have the standalone channel.

Will try the delete-reboot-reinstall later.

Jonesgroup
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thanks, davidjazz,

Good to know it happened with the standalone channel/app as well, thanks.  Please let me know how that goes for you.

Best,

Jonesgroup

psrobby

Jump to solution

We lost it on Roku and our computer.  Uninstalled Acorn on Roku and reinstalled - no help.

realpeach
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Ditto.  Just noticed this. 

1) Shows/episodes I've previously watched no longer are marked as watched (red bar on episode/show)

2) Show progress is not stored (if I switch to another device, the episode show starts at the beginning, not where I stopped)

3) there is no 'recently watched' category

Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

This is happening to me as well. Is there a software problem? Also on Britbox and other channels

Jonesgroup
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Folks,

I've read four replies to my original post.  All report the same problems I see.  Not certain, but it seems to have started some time yesterday, 1/7. 

Among other things I used to do software testing. I suspect the Acorn and/or Roku developers updated one or more apps yesterday. Those apps have to play together, something got broken and it was missed in testing. I'm not criticizing - it's tough coordinating s/w testing between two (somewhat competing) companies. They also often don't tell us if they did an update, and we don't usually care.

I believe the problem's on Acorn's and Roku's end, not ours, we won't be able to fix it ourselves, and A & R will need to work together to get it fixed. For what it's worth I'd like to pass that observation on to them. Any idea how?

Best,

Jonesgroup

TheRealEJ
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

It's not just Roku or Roku Channels.  I also have Fire TV devices and Nvidia Shield TV.  Recently Watched is missing on all the apps. It's an inconvenience for sure, but I keep a separate log of shows we currently watch that includes season and episode last watched.  

0 Kudos
Jonesgroup
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Hello, TheRealEJ

Thank you.  That's very useful. I'm curious - when did you first notice the problem?  The more specific, the better.  

Based on your information I now believe it's only Acorn's problem, not Roku's.  

We've had to keep show/season/episode logs before on some other channels, but the Acorn app should and does do that for us when it works correctly.  Now I also have to record the time I paused an episode if I want to go watch something else for a while (even another Acorn show), then return to it, because all episodes always restart at 0:00 time and have no progress bar. 

Contributing to my irritation, Acorn's "fast forward" is really slow.  I went back to finish an episode of Midsomer Mysteries an hour and 16 minutes in.  It took me about three minutes to fast forward from the beginning to that point.

I'll see if I can find out how to notify Acorn.  (I'd be surprised if they don't know already, but it can't hurt.)

Regards,

Jonesgroup

0 Kudos
Jonesgroup
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I went on the Acorn Help Center and entered information about our problems.  Since it's Sunday I don't expect a response today but will post their replies and discussion.  Best, Jonesgroup

0 Kudos