Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PatBrandon
Binge Watcher

Accidetally Hit Don't ask again for this channel Option

Jump to solution

My daughter said she accidentally hit the Don't ask again for this channel option while watching a Hulu stream on my Roku Express 4K+. Now the Hulu screensaver always plays instead of shutting down Hulu and  going to the Roku screensaver.

My question is, can I make it ask to keep watching after an amount of time again and have the Don't ask for this channel come back on?

My TV used to shut off automatically when the Roku screensaver came on after a period of time. Now it just keeps showing the Hulu screensaver.

Any help with this would be appreciated. Should I clear the cache or history or something?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Accidetally Hit Don't ask again for this channel Option

Jump to solution

@PatBrandon 

I have had this occur on different Channels like the Roku Media Player where I accidently hit "don't ask me again".

Sometimes I have had to Remove the Channel, Restart the Roku device, and add the Channel back.  I did notice that I also had to toggle the bandwidth saver from on to off and then vice-versa.  The message did not immediately reappear but did come back and after an extended time of viewing (probably past the 4hr limit of the bandwidth saver).

There is no way to immediately trigger that "don't ask me again" with just a menu press (as far as I know).  It will appear again when it runs up against the Roku bandwidth saver setting though.  This little info box only popped up on certain channels/apps and I actually assumed it was just a leftover bug from the 9.2 OS of Roku that introduced the bandsaver saver option.  There used to be a "hidden way" to enable and disable, but this has been removed.

-----

The only way to get it to appear immediately would be to perform a Factory Reset of the device.  This will return the device to original settings.  However, you will need to perform the initial setup and login to all your subscriptions again.  

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
Ello2022
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Roku’s don’t shut off. They never have. Your screen saver time is in the the them settings. Bandwidth saver turns on after 4 hours of no remote movement. There is no clear cache setting on a Roku. When you are done streaming you should always go back to the Home Screen. Never leave a channel just playing in the background. Hulu will only show up if Hulu is currently running. Just like if I pause Netflix the Netflix screen saver comes on. Any time a channel is open it will use that channels screensaver over the Roku. Are you leaving Hulu running and walking away?

PatBrandon
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Thanks for that. Yes I misspoke when I mentioned "shut off". I know it doesn't ever shut off. Once in a while I fall asleep and the Roku screensaver would be on and then my TV would see that I'm not watching anything and shut off completely after a half hour when the Roku screensaver came on. It doesn't do that when the Hulu screensaver comes on. I'll try not to ever fall asleep while watching, and go back to the home screen, but I probably will sometime, or be out mowing the lawn and my kid leaves without going to home screen.

Because the "Don't ask again for this channel" Option was selected, it doesn't do that any more. Is there a way to bring back the "Don't ask again for this channel" Option?

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I’m not sure what message you’re speaking of. But I honestly would not worry about it. 

AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@PatBrandon 

Try going to Settings/Network/Bandwidth Saver.  If you see that it has been disabled (no checkmark), then Enable this setting (checkmark).

This should return the "Are you still watching" screen message. 

PatBrandon
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@AvsGunnarthanks for the reply. I did check that already and bandwidth saver is still on. I kinda think once I hit Don't ask for this channel again, it can't be changed back. I've tried many things and look a bunch on Roku for a solution. I guess I'll just have to make sure I go to Home before I ever leave the TV.

I appreciate your time.

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@PatBrandon  You can always do a factory reset on your TV. That will put your TV back to out of the box condition. I think I remember seeing that message but it was for the screensaver itself. Not a channel screensaver. Basically it came along the bottom of the screen to tell you the screensaver is about to start. I clicked never show again cause I knew what it was. Are you saying if you leaving Hulu on for 4 hours or so then a specific screensaver that says Hulu comes on? That I know is normal. Like I said if I leave Netflix on and suppose I pause it. 10 minutes later it’s still paused a Netflix screensaver comes on. Not my default Roku one. You cannot force the Roku to overlay a screensaver when another channel is running. What is your Roku screensaver and what is the wait time you have it set to?

PatBrandon
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@Ello2022  Yes, a Hulu screensaver comes on. A green Hulu word slowly roams around a black screen. Then when I hit the remote it takes me back to Hulu. It didn't used to do this until the Don't ask for this channel again was selected. I don't think it has anything to do with my TV screen saver or auto shut off because it used to work in a way I liked and the only thing changed was the "Don't ask for this channel again".

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@PatBrandon 

I have had this occur on different Channels like the Roku Media Player where I accidently hit "don't ask me again".

Sometimes I have had to Remove the Channel, Restart the Roku device, and add the Channel back.  I did notice that I also had to toggle the bandwidth saver from on to off and then vice-versa.  The message did not immediately reappear but did come back and after an extended time of viewing (probably past the 4hr limit of the bandwidth saver).

There is no way to immediately trigger that "don't ask me again" with just a menu press (as far as I know).  It will appear again when it runs up against the Roku bandwidth saver setting though.  This little info box only popped up on certain channels/apps and I actually assumed it was just a leftover bug from the 9.2 OS of Roku that introduced the bandsaver saver option.  There used to be a "hidden way" to enable and disable, but this has been removed.

-----

The only way to get it to appear immediately would be to perform a Factory Reset of the device.  This will return the device to original settings.  However, you will need to perform the initial setup and login to all your subscriptions again.  

Ello2022
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@PatBrandon  The Hulu or Netflix screensaver will take over your Roku screensaver. That’s normal, if you want it back the way it was then you will have to perform a factory reset 

0 Kudos