Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Atrain1973
Reel Rookie

10.5 update kills prime and Disney Plus

Upon the update to 10.5 on my 2 Roku devices both Prime and Disney Plus ceased to function…the apps will open and display shows…after selecting a program it just spools for several seconds and says there is a playback issue…I’ve read some articles describing a glitch in this new update and the need to rollback to version 10.0 but my devices give me no such option…how can I manually roll back???

0 Kudos
23 REPLIES 23
Mike463
Binge Watcher

Re: 10.5 update kills prime and Disney Plus

I had the same issues with Prime; it would load fine, I could navigate on the site, but the minute I tried streaming a program I got bunted back to the Home screen. I don't have Disney Plus but hopefully these procedures will work for it as well. I have three Roku devices; the one that had issues is a Roku 2, model 4210. I have a 3700 Roku Express and a 3800 Roku Stick; neither of these had any issues.

Here's what I did to solve the issue with my 4210:

It's a good idea to have your Amazon, Disney Plus and Roku credentials handy (emails/passwords). It's a good idea to have a cell, tablet or laptop up and running. As part of these procedures, you will need to re-register with Amazon, Disney Plus and Roku. If you have a "QR" reader app that will make re-registering with Amazon a bit easier ...maybe Disney as well. Also, you may need a paper clip.

1. Remove the Amazon and Disney Plus tiles from the Home screen app selections. Using the Roku remote, navigate to and highlight Prime. Using the remote, push the asterisk button; a pop up menu will appear. Select the "Remove" option and "yes" to confirm the delete. Give it a few seconds and Prime will be gone. Do the same thing for Disney Plus.

2. Next we clean the Roku cache; way easier than it sounds. From the Home page left hand menu scroll down to "Settings" > "System" > "System Restart". Restart your Roku. This is referred to as a "soft reset.

3. Once the Roku comes back to your Home screen, add back your Prime and Disney Plus app tiles. Easiest way to do that is go to the " + " symbol at the bottom of your app menu and click on it. On the new screen that opens, select the "Search" option from the menu on the left and type in "pri"; you'll get "Prime Video" first on the list. Do the same for Disney Plus.

4. Once reinstalled, click on Prime. It will load and may take a bit longer to do so. You will have to re-register with Amazon to get your permissions back. This is where the QR code will come (right side of the screen); you can use it (real easy) or log in manually to Amazon and put the 5-letter code that will show on the left side of the screen. Re-register Disney Plus.

5. When you are back in good graces with Amazon and Disney, try using Prime and the Disney Plus programs. If you're lucky you won't have to do the next procedure. I don't have Disney Plus so I don't know if it will respond the same as Amazon. After this cache cleaning you might get both back, in which case, you're done. Or, you might get neither. Or, one but not the other ...in which case you need to press on ...

6. If Prime and/or Disney Plus are still not working, then you'll need to do a "hard reset". Look at your Roku devices; somewhere there will be a small hole, possibly a switch or button, labelled "reset"; that's the hard reset switch. With the Roku powered and showing your Home screen, poke the end of the paperclip into the hole until the switch is activated; your TV screen will go black. IMPORTANT: Keep the paperclip pushed against the switch until you see the Roku logo come up on the screen; takes a few seconds. If you release the paperclip too soon, the Roku will do a soft reset and you'll have to do the hard reset again. If you have a reset button, I would press and hold it until you see the logo. Given the variety of Roku devices there isn't a standardized reset switch or location. Some resets are a little different in how they proceed. Find your Roku type and model and look up how to do a "hard reset".

7. As the Roku restarts, you will have to re-register it and go through the initial procedures as if it were a new device. Once you wade through that process, you will need to re-register with Amazon and Disney Plus.

8. Once everything is re-registered, check the function of Prime and Disney Plus. Hopefully they both come back, everything is normal and life is, once again, good. Time for a "Celebration Brewskie" ...or a "Happy Dance" ...or both.

This is the procedure I used to bring back Prime Video on my Roku 2 4210. I have successfully helped at least one other person, here on the forum, bring their Prime back to functionality doing this (also on a 4210). So, at least for Prime, this should restore it ...hopefully it works for Disney Plus as well.

Good luck, I hope this works out for you.

Cheers!        

MeliBee
Reel Rookie

I’m having the same issue. I followed the instructions listed to revert to 10.0 but when I click on Check Now it just says Software update “checking for new update.”  Then I get a message that the software is up-to-date and no option to roll it back to 10.0. 

0 Kudos
Atrain1973
Reel Rookie

We’re in the same boat (along with thousands of others)…Roku needs to get this resolved

Thanks mate, but…No…that doesn’t work…it’s not a matter of rebooting or clearing the cache…it’s a software issue and Roku needs to support THEIR CUSTOMERS by repairing it!

0 Kudos
Mike463
Binge Watcher

Well, it's something gone buggy or corrupt ...whether software or firmware.

I've got three different models of Roku and all of them are older models still supported:

1. Roku Express (model 3700).

2. Roku Stick (model 3800).

3. Roku 2 (model 4210).

All of them have the 10.5 OS on them.

The only one that gave me issues was the Roku 2. Doing the procedures I listed brought it back and it's working fine.

I believe there is a listing of "legacy" Roku devices no longer supported ...but I suspect you've probably checked that.

It would be nice to hear from the IT types at Roku since this seems to be a consistent issue. I believe something like this happened a few years ago ...also with Prime.

Sorry it didn't work out.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

Can you please specify the issue you are experiencing? What are you seeing on screen? Do you see a specific message? In order for us to best assist you, please provide the above information along with providing the serial number of your Roku device from Settings>System>About? I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
MeliBee
Reel Rookie

In response to more information on exactly what is happening and the model and serial number:

Roku Model # 4660X

Serial number YJOOCA878352

Software version 10.5.0 * build 4208-46

After the system upgraded to 10.5 (assuming that was the cause because I never had an issue prior to that), I am no longer able to get Disney+ and Hulu is intermittent at best. I have tried removing and reinstalling the channels and a full reset. I have tried both wired and wireless and still have the same issues. This seems to be a common problem as many people online are experiencing similar issues.

Hulu - First says "Welcome, (Name). Just a moment while we gather what's new..." Then., the next screen says..."We are having trouble loading your shows and movies right now. Check your internet connection and try again." There is a RELOAD button. When I hit the RELOAD button, it sometimes connects to Hulu. Sometimes it just keeps cycling back through the screens listed above. Again, this happens whether it is wired or wireless.

Disney+ - Screen says: "We're sorry, we're having trouble connecting you to the service. Please check to see that you are still connected to the internet, and try again. (Error Code 42)." I have not been able to access Disney+ on the TV connected to the Roku - again, wireless and wired - same response.

One of the threads on this site (and others) says that we should be able to go back to the prior version 10.0, but this is not an option that is available to me. When I try to follow the instructions of going to Settings > System > System update > Check for updates - it says the system is up to date and there is no option for rolling it back.

Disney+ and Hulu both work fine on the computer. They just don't work through the Roku.

0 Kudos
MeliBee
Reel Rookie

Not sure what happened, but we just did yet another modem restart and full Roku restart and we are back in business!! Disney+ and Hulu are now working like before!

0 Kudos
highhills
Channel Surfer

I am having the same problem with Prime and Disney +.

Prime screens reads " Something went wrong. Please try again later"

I have removed Prime ( several time now) and added it back. I get the same message. I also have done a soft restart and a hard reset. Rebooted the modems several times and still get the same message. 

Prime will load but when I click to watch a show i get the message. I have been dealing with this now for several weeks.

Something is wrong!

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Hello @highhills

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community!

Did you restart your Roku device before re-installing the channel? That step is crucial when performing the troubleshooting. If you haven't tried the suggested order (remove > restart > re-install), we would recommend giving it a shot once again. We also suggest doing the restart from the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > System restart > Restart.

Let us know how it goes.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos