Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: youtube without ads

Jump to solution

Strange that I get almost no ads on my Samsung tablet when using its YouTube app, but an absolute ton of them when using Roku's YouTube app. This doesn't seem as simple as "we at Roku have no control over this", and it feels disingenuous for Roku to merely suggest that we pay YouTube a hundred bucks a year to solve the problem.

Surely you don't expect me to believe that if YouTube has tailored the Roku version of their app to be far more annoying than YouTube's own Android app, there's nothing Roku can do about it?  Is Roku a powerless victim of mean old YouTube? ie "we're going to give your customers a worse experience than on other platforms, and since we're YouTube you just have to accept our terms" ??

Maybe it's time to look into other products (especially with Black Friday coming soon).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: youtube without ads

Jump to solution

@PSlacker wrote:

Strange that I get almost no ads on my Samsung tablet when using its YouTube app, but an absolute ton of them when using Roku's YouTube app. This doesn't seem as simple as "we at Roku have no control over this", and it feels disingenuous for Roku to merely suggest that we pay YouTube a hundred bucks a year to solve the problem.

Surely you don't expect me to believe that if YouTube has tailored the Roku version of their app to be far more annoying than YouTube's own Android app, there's nothing Roku can do about it?  Is Roku a powerless victim of mean old YouTube? i.e. "we're going to give your customers a worse experience than on other platforms, and since we're YouTube you just have to accept our terms" ??

Maybe it's time to look into other products (especially with Black Friday coming soon).

I get just as many ads on YouTube with my Shield as I do with any Roku device, and it's an Android device. It is not Roku doing it. Perhaps Samsung has some sort of deal with Google to reduce ads on their devices. And yes, Google certainly could be the "mean old" provider that wants everyone to use a Chromecast device. And yes, there's nothing Roku can do about the user experience on any channel they did not develop. Roku themselves are only responsible for The Roku Channel and Roku Media Player. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos