Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
whynosupport
Level 8

youtube, other channels not working after latest update on both roku devices

Ever since the latest update on my roku devices, youtube will no longer load. It stalls, then puts up a message saying "remove channels" because it needs more space. It did this sporadically in the past, and a restart would always fix it. I have removed several channels, still no good. I have removed youtube, and reinstalled it, no good. I have restarted both devices, ad nauseum. No good.

A few other channels have been glitching, including the roku channel, which failed to load repeatedly, then when it did load, it lost my entire watch history.

Is this just a bad update, or planned obsolescence? Had both of these units for a couple of years now, and they have become slower and less dependable with each update. 

Once again, before anybody starts, I have already:

restarted both units, several times

checked for updates

removed, reloaded channels, multiple times

removed several channels to make space

Please don't tell me to contact support at youtube, when you don't even have actual support yourselves, and the issue is with other channels as well, including roku's own channel. I doubt very seriously I'm the only one encountering this issue. Not trying to be rude here, but I've been reading through this board a bit, and it always seem to be the same copy-paste "solution", with no indication of resolution.

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7\
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: youtube, other channels not working after latest update on both roku devices

@whynosupport wrote:

After removing a channel, best practice is to restart your Roku to clear its memory before reinstalling the channel. Did you do this?

Restart via Settings > System > System restart (for Roku TVs: Settings > System > Power > System restart)

@whynosupport wrote:

Not trying to be rude here, but I've been reading through this board a bit, and it always seem to be the same copy-paste "solution", with no indication of resolution.

Most people who come here with problems receive suggestions but never come back to share their outcome.  It's that way on most support boards. 

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Do not ask me support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.". Please only do this if it ACTUALLY solves your problem.

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X | Streaming Stick 3600
0 Kudos
whynosupport
Level 8

Re: youtube, other channels not working after latest update on both roku devices

Yes. As I said, I have tried every way it can be done.

And actually, most people DO comment back if their problem is fixed, on most any discussion board, it's kind of the point, but thanks for your... opinion. I will certainly be updating if the problem is fixed, or if I'm going to be replacing roku with something that works.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@whynosupport wrote:

And actually, most people DO comment back if their problem is fixed, on most any discussion board, it's kind of the point, but thanks for your... opinion.

Having been on this board for over 10 years I can assure you that most people here do not post back to say whether their problem was resolved or not.  Heck, a significant number of people don't even respond to, or totally ignore, questions asked by those trying to help them.

Youtube, Netflix, and Hulu are memory pigs.  You can try the clear the cache routine which seems to work for some:  Press Home 5 times, Up once, Rewind (<<) twice, and FF (>>) twice.  Your Roku will reboot on its own if you did it properly.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 20

@whynosupport wrote:

Ever since the latest update on my roku devices, youtube will no longer load. It stalls, then puts up a message saying "remove channels" because it needs more space. It did this sporadically in the past, and a restart would always fix it. I have removed several channels, still no good. I have removed youtube, and reinstalled it, no good. I have restarted both devices, ad nauseum. No good.

A few other channels have been glitching, including the roku channel, which failed to load repeatedly, then when it did load, it lost my entire watch history.

Is this just a bad update, or planned obsolescence? Had both of these units for a couple of years now, and they have become slower and less dependable with each update. 

Once again, before anybody starts, I have already:

restarted both units, several times

checked for updates

removed several channels to make space

Please don't tell me to contact support at youtube, when you don't even have actual support yourselves, and the issue is with other channels as well, including roku's own channel. I doubt very seriously I'm the only one encountering this issue. Not trying to be rude here, but I've been reading through this board a bit, and it always seem to be the same copy-paste "solution", with no indication of resolution.

You didnt state your model #(s) or firmware version(s), but we'll assume its 10.0.0-4195 for both devices.

You are not the only one encountering issues with apps (especially YT) not loading after upgrading to OS10 (its a known issue).

There are some that have reported back the problem was resolved, but most people that report an issue dont come back again, or even if they do, dont report whether it was resolved or not (thats pretty standard for the CE support industry, FTR).

As to potential resolutions (all of these have been reported to resolve it for some people/some models):

Try:

1) Network connection reset (Settings/System/Advanced system settings) - try again

2) Change theme to Roku Default (Settings/Theme/Restore default theme) - try again

3) Change screensaver to a Roku clock (Settings/Theme/Scrensavers) - try again

4) Check for updates (Settings/System/System update/Check now) - try again

5) Factory reset (Settings/System/Advanced system settings) - try again  <-- Last resort if not willing to wait for another firmware update that may or may not fix the issue.

GreggL
Level 7

Roku express 6871 updated to 10.0.0

both Youtube, and Youtube TV would no longer load after the last update to 10.0.0

all other channels worked 100%, no issues ...   (this stinks)

1) Network connection reset (Settings/System/Advanced system settings) - <---  did the trick

I'm still sore about losing the SlingBox app a couple of years ago,

and now they pull this baloney with Youtube & youtubeTV. 

SlingBox still works on my firesticks.  So does YouTube and YouTube TV

I am currently running 6 individual/different Roku devices ...

I'll be thinking long and hard before purchasing another Roku,

or recommending Roku from this point on...

0 Kudos
whynosupport
Level 8

Resolved, sort of...

Youtube is working again, miraculously. Having two of the same unit, I tried everything to fix the issue on just one unit, including a full factory reset. It did NOTHING. Now, big surprise, youtube will load again, on both units, including the one I didn't change. 

Thanks so much to those of you who tried to help. No thanks to the smug attitude from a few of you. If Roku just had normal support, I wouldn't have had to rely on this ridiculous forum business. It's a lousy way to do customer support, and when these two units reach their (planned) obsolescence, I'm going to just buy a couple of small fanless computers to replace them, so we can watch anything we want. It's a bit lame how many things aren't available on the device, and the general attitude about unsanctioned channels from roku. Being told that I may lose the ability to load channels on a device I paid for is B.S., especially when said manufacturer doesn't offer realistic customer support.

Anyway, as I said, problem solved, even though nothing I tried worked, so my money is still on faulty update.

FacilitatorMike
Level 7

Cache clearing worked!  Thanks so much!!!

0 Kudos