Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
orion-47
Level 7

why does a roku device download information from akamai.net

I monitor traffic on devices within the internal network. A particular Roku downloaded 7+GB of data from akamai.net in one day. Before I block the site for what reason would a Roku need to download that much information from akamai.net?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RokuTannerD
Level 19

Re: why does a roku device download information from akamai.net

@orion-47 Thanks for the question. Akamai provides content distribution network services (also known as a CDN). Streaming video services use CDNs to help deliver their streaming content to their apps on various devices. The traffic you are seeing is likely data being sent/received when you press play to stream something. 

Hope that helps clarify. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Alexiarubio
Level 7

@orion-47  How do you block the site

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@Alexiarubio 

You normally block web addresses, keywords, and the like at the router level.  In the admin configuration of your router setting, look for something similar to Access Restrictions or Parental Controls and look for Website Blocking or the like.  Then just enter the name of the sites or services you wish to block.  Then Save, and restart your router to take effect.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

If you block akamai.net expect big problems and not just with your Roku.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.