Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

what is the difference between Showtime standalone, and "Showtime on the Roku Channel"?

Why do I get two apps on my home screen, side by side: one saying "Showtime" and another saying "Showtime on the Roku Channel"?

Same price, same free trial length, same content. What is the difference?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: what is the difference between Showtime standalone, and "Showtime on the Roku Channel"

It seems to me that Showtime on the roku channel is a slimmed down version of the standalone Showtime. Same thing with the Starz on Roku and Fandor Spotlight. There is no search function and a minimal selection. Would someone please weigh in on this?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: what is the difference between Showtime standalone, and "Showtime on the Roku Channel"

@njride @vanessa_123 

Thanks for the inquiry.

Please be aware that if you subscribe to Showtime on The Roku Channel, you will only be able to watch Showtime through The Roku Channel, however if you purchase Showtime through the channel provider directly, you will be able to view Showtime content through different platforms.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Thanks. I took that for granted. What also seems the case, however, is that the movie content of Showtime on Roku is a fraction of the Showtime standalone movie content . So for someone like me who basically avoids television programing in favor of movies, I'm getting much less for the dollar through Roku. 

0 Kudos