Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tfrost2002
Level 7

weather underground

If this is not the right forum I am sorry but I have been wondering about the weather underground channel not working correctly.  Does anyone know how to fix the problem?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
lion7718
Level 8

Re: weather underground

Someone onsite emailed WU, they said they weren't going to update their channel anymore.
Don't know how true it is, we'll have to wait & see when all the API/SDK's change.
Roku Stick: 3800RW
Roku Stick: 3800X
Roku Stick: 3600X (Died)
Roku 1 SE: 2710X (Retired)
Roku 2 XS: 3100X (Retired)
0 Kudos
eetjtl
Level 7

Well its gone R.I.P.
It had the better radar.
0 Kudos
empirefalls
Level 7

I have gone to that channel almost everyday,maybe 2 times a day,  for 4-5+ years?  Or about 1000 times+. Simple weather without being AD tortured.. Yes, the channel is removed.
Believe that is the Last and final streaming media channel that did not have ads.   .Tune in Radio channel  has no ads?---surprise coming..

Streaming media entertainment has metamorphosed into satellite /cable TV entertainment. Expensive--and getting worse with never ending rising internet service skyrocketing.  Pay up! if you dont want to be ad tortured.  Even if you pay $$$$$ for a channel, you can still get ad tortured. to watch it.
0 Kudos
yort
Level 7

It figures. The best weather app on Roku. It was just too good so we had to get rid of it!

I suggest we all write a plea to Weather Underground and request a new Roku app. Maybe it will work.
0 Kudos
johnall203b
Level 7

Weather Underground should release the code for the roku app to the community to maintain.  They might not have the resources inside their organization to keep this app going but there are lot of people who love the simplistic interface and quick radar and satellite images.  I'm sure we have some developers that would like to take it and run with it.
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Level 10

AFAIK - Weather Underground was acquired by The Weather Channel (weather.com) in 2012 and the whole shootin' match was purchased by IBM in 2015.  (The Weather Channel television service is a separate entity, and is currently owned by Entertainment Services.) 

Source: Wikipedia article

My speculation: IBM probably just got tired of maintaining two separate Roku apps.
Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi connected - Samsung UN55ES6100
Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi connected - JVC EM37T
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

My WeatherUnderground apps on my phone are being depreciated as well. The Storm app tells me it's no longer supported and directed me to install Storm Radar from The Weather Channel. My primary WU weather app still works, but I expect it to go away as well eventually. It seems that The Weather Channel is discontinuing everything branded WU. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
RAIST5150
Level 7

Thankfully, some of our locals put weather forecasts and radar on their OTA side channels 24/7. Might want to look into it in your areas. Our ABC and Fox affiliates do it, and can pick them up with a coat hanger... literally, I once opened one up and made a makeshift loop antenna with a piece of old rg59. 15.1 will be main ABC, but 15.2 will be a rotation like the Weather Channel used to do. Little 3-5 minute ad breaks at top and bottom of the hour, but better than being forced to endure an ad cycle blasted at you every time you load an app.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

"RAIST5150" wrote:
Thankfully, some of our locals put weather forecasts and radar on their OTA side channels 24/7.  Might want to look into it in your areas.  Our ABC and Fox affiliates do it, and can pick them up with a coat hanger... literally, I once opened one up and made a makeshift loop antenna with a piece of old rg59.  15.1 will be main ABC, but 15.2 will be a rotation like the Weather Channel used to do.  Little 3-5 minute ad breaks at top and bottom of the hour, but better than being forced to endure an ad cycle blasted at you every time you load an app.

Where I live I have a direct shot to downtown Seattle, where there are 6 different TV station towers. Even though I'm about 25 miles from them, I can receive most of them with just a paper clip straightened out and inserted in the antenna connection. VHF/UHF signals are great if you have direct line of sight and a reasonable distance. But I have another station that has some minor terrain between us, and even though they are only 20 miles away I get a very poor signal, if at all. And I have a large TV antenna hanging inside my garage up high, and it is capable of getting one station occasionally that is over 80 miles away. 
For OTA signals, I always suggest giving an antenna a try. Also, go to AntennaWeb and enter your address. it will give you a very good idea what stations you might be able to get, their direction and distance, and a recommended antenna type for success. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos