Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
oddly2002
Level 7

un-geeky mom trying to set up WWE in a special needs adult group home...

HELP MEEEEEEE!!! I recently purchased a Roku Express for my son's special needs group home, and it will not load WWE Network.
 He has a Roku in his room that DOES stream WWE.
 I have searched online for solutions, and so far I have updated Roku software, and removed and reinstalled WWE Network.
We are online wifi, we are signed in to WWE Network,
it begins to retrieve, then it says "media error occurred while trying to load this video",...,
I sure do have a lot of disappointed guys!

I have to drive a half hour to get over there and Ive already worked on this twice... anybody??    Heeeeeeellllllllppp!
0 Kudos
18 Replies
oddly2002
Level 7

Re: un-geeky mom trying to set up WWE in a special needs adult group home...

ooops forgot to mention - I have also written WWE / help
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Level 10

When you uninstalled WWE did you reset your Roku before reinstalling WWE?  This step is necessary to be sure all vestiges of the original installation are purged from memory.
Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi connected - Samsung UN55ES6100
Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi connected - JVC EM37T
0 Kudos
oddly2002
Level 7

yes, I did think to reset it. But I only tdid that through settings... should I have set it all the way back to factory?
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

When the other said “reset” he was referring to a restart.

To properly reinstall an app on Roku, do this, in this order:

1. Remove the app

2. Restart the Roku

3. Reinstall the app
A factory reset really shouldn’t be necessary in most cases.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

Factory reset is a "last ditch effort" kind of thing if all else fails.

You should also try rebooting router/modem/Roku (leave Roku unplugged while everything else is booting up; once you have access to the internet, then plug the Roku back in).
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

To the OP:

You say this is a group home.. is your son's Roku connected to the exact same network as the Roku that isn't working properly?

Just thinking there could be a configuration issue on the router that's having connection issues, if there's indeed more than one network there.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
oddly2002
Level 7

they have a specific wi-fi signal set to " special" for the clients ( residents).. I am pretty sure its the only thing we can connect to.

I will re-set the wi-fi also, have to sort of be sneaky on that cuz the staff isnt helpful.

I'm taking notes on these answers, thank you, people.
0 Kudos
dgrace
Level 7

Anyone think this could be a firewall or permissions issue since it's a managed (OP said "staff isn't helpful")?
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ
0 Kudos
AndyCalling
Level 7

You've not been explicit with the key info here. I think you are saying that your son's working Roku stick is connected to the same 'Special' wifi network as the one you are trying to get working. But you've not confirmed that explicitly so I can't be sure. What this would show is that it can work fine and so we need to focus on the stick. If this was not the case we'd be looking at routers and firewalls. Please confirm for the best advice.

I'd be tempted to do a full factory reset on the stick if it is indeed the stick we need to concentrate on. I'd also check out the wifi signal quality reading on the stick (check in the network settings on the stick, easy to find). If that's not great, or even if it's inconsistent, you might get a better signal by using an HDMI extention cable. Many TVs can block the wifi signal if the stick is tucked around the back. Another thing to look at is the power supply. Are you using the TV's USB socket to provide power? That can often be flakey and can produce some weird behaviour. Best to use the Roku provided USB PSU instead.

Try to get it working at your home. If you can get it working somewhere, that'll give you the encouragement to keep trying as you'll know it can be done. Especially if your son's is already working with the 'Special' network at the centre.
0 Kudos