Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
justinloch
Level 7

twitched is dead

is sad how roku is getting rid of top channels people enjoy, from dailymotion to twitch.
twitched was then created by a user and I loved it. sadly it has been removed. thanks roku smh
i guess fire tv or android tv is the best way to go now
0 Kudos
17 Replies
Bacon
Level 9

Re: twitched is dead

It was removed by the Twitched developer, not Roku. Just like the original Twitch channel.
0 Kudos
Heyitsrick
Level 10

"justinloch" wrote:
is sad how roku is getting rid of top channels people enjoy, from dailymotion to twitch.
twitched was then created by a user and I loved it. sadly it has been removed. thanks roku smh
i guess fire tv or android tv is the best way to go now

As Bacon said above, the Twitched developer has made the decision to remove that app from Rokus. Roku will accept your apology now.

From CordCutters News (6/17/19 https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/rokus-last-remaining-twitch-channel-has-been-removed-from-roku-players-roku-tvs/ ):  

Back in November of 2017 Amazon removed their official Twitch streaming Roku Channel from Roku players. Any Roku owner who already had the Twitch Channel installed on their Roku at the time got a warning message saying the app will no longer be updated but that they can still use it. Sadly new Roku owners would be unable to add the official Amazon Twitch channel.

Very quickly a 3rd party free Twitch app that worked just like the official Twitch channel appeared called Twitched Zero. There was also a paid version that costs $0.99 just called Twitched. Back in May the creator behind Twitched Zero shut it down and today Twitched has also removed the Roku Channel [, thus] shutting down down the last option to watch Twitch streams on Roku unless you are grandfathered into the old Twitch app. Sadly the Twitched Roku Channel is being forcibly removing the channel from Roku Players and Roku TVs.
0 Kudos
justinloch
Level 7

yeah my mistake, but still without those app, it sucks and likely leaning towards getting an android device or even fire tv.
but hopefully roku and the twitch developer work things out
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there, 

Thanks for the notes here. Channels may become unavailable for a variety of reasons, including at the request of content rights owners. I'd recommend following up with the channel developer, or the service provider directly, to share your interest in seeing their channel/service on the Roku platform and request any additional information they may have available. 

See more here: https://support.roku.com/article/360004150534-why-is-a-channel-no-longer-available-on-my-roku-stream...

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
AJCxZ0
Level 7

"RokuTannerD" wrote:
Channels may become unavailable for a variety of reasons, including at the request of content owners.
See more here: channel developer (details of which disappeared with the channel from both our devices and the Channel Store) or a third party content owner such as Amazon Twitch. Best of all would be a reference to authoritative information about the channel where details such as status, history and instructions on obtaining a refund) are available so we do not have to rely on the increasingly widespread hearsay on the subject.
When Amazon withdrew the Twitch channel from the Store, my recollection is that there was some more appropriate communication.
Thanks in anticipation.
Hardware: 4640RW (Ultra), 4630X (Premier+), 2 × 3500R (Stick) | Software: Android app
0 Kudos
Elijah_Baley
Level 8

Roku Is Issuing Refunds to Anyone Who Paid for the Twitched Roku Channel
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.
0 Kudos
Heyitsrick
Level 10

"Elijah_Baley" wrote:
Roku Is Issuing Refunds to Anyone Who Paid for the Twitched Roku Channel

Something doesn't smell right here. Why would Roku pick up the tab for someone else's choice to remove a channel?  Nice gesture on their part, if that's what it is, but could set a pricey precedent for them.  Perhaps Amazon will be porting the official app back to Roku?
0 Kudos
Bacon
Level 9

According to the dev, it was removed at the request of Twitch Interactive by Roku.

https://github.com/FrozenIronSoftware/T ... -510100299

Not sure why Roku lied and said it was removed at the request of the developer...
0 Kudos
trekkeriii
Level 10

"Bacon" wrote:
According to the dev, it was removed at the request of Twitch Interactive by Roku.

https://github.com/FrozenIronSoftware/T ... -510100299

Not sure why Roku lied and said it was removed at the request of the developer...

The official post in this thread said possibly at the request of the content owner, that's different than the channel developer if they are not the content owner.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos