Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lfayb
Level 8

trouble with resume on amazon prime

I recently have started having trouble with the resume option on Amazon Prime.   Seems to work on on NetFlix.
It seems that on most movies or episodes it does not set the place for the resume to start, but leaves it as it was.  The resume point does gets set if I watch on my IPAD.
For instance,  I can  exit out while watching on IPAD,  go to my roku and bring up whatever I was watching.  The resume point was set when watching on IPAD and I can resume there.  But if I watch a while and exit out  it does not change the resume point but leaves it as it was.
If I start watching something on roku on amazon prime that I have not watched,  then exit out,  the resume point does not get set and it will start over from the beginning.

NOTE:  it does seomtiems get set, and I have not been able to identify the difference.

Any one else have this problems or any ideas what the problem is?.
0 Kudos
9 Replies
RokuShawnS
Level 10

Re: trouble with resume on amazon prime

We need more information:

• Make/Model of the Roku

• Current firmware version and build number

(All can be found in Settings > System > About)

For what it's worth, on four different Rokus I routinely watch/test on, I'm not seeing this behavior at all.  Wherever I stop playback, I can always resume at that point later on.

Try deleting the channel, REBOOT the Roku (do NOT skip that step), and re-add the channel.  If that doesn't work, another thing to check is to make certain you're logging into the same account on all streaming devices :mrgreen:  ... I've made that mistake before.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
lfayb
Level 8

RokuShawnS

I did as you suggested, removed amazon prime,  rebooted Roku, added Prime back.  It did not make a difference.

Here is the info you requested:
model  3600Rw - roku Stick
software   version   8.0.0    build 41841-24

I believe this to be a problem that just started the last few days and I do not know what has  changed.
I do have another roku in a different room that has the same problem.  I unregistered it and tried on the 1st one again, and that did not make a difference , so I went ahead and reset up the 2nd one
And again, I seem to see this problem only on amazon prime.  I only have one amazon prime account.  And it works ok on IPAD  and on my smart tv.
Thanks
lfayb
Level 8

I think I may have figured it out.   I have been using the home button to exit when watching and it has been working to set the point at which I exited.  Now it appears that it sometimes works and sometimes does not.  But, if I use the back button to exit,  it appears to work.  Guess I will have to give it a while to see if that will continue to work.  The home button appears to still work for Netflix.  So I do not know who changed what.  But  for now, it looks like maybe I just need to remember to use the back button on amazon prime.
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

"lfayb" wrote:
I think I may have figured it out.   I have been using the home button to exit when watching and it has been working to set the point at which I exited.  Now it appears that it sometimes works and sometimes does not.  But, if I use the back button to exit,  it appears to work.  Guess I will have to give it a while to see if that will continue to work.  The home button appears to still work for Netflix.  So I do not know who changed what.  But  for now, it looks like maybe I just need to remember to use the back button on amazon prime.

Hmm, I'll check around the office for confirmation of this behavior (but it may be late next week before I can get back to you with expected behaviors).  I've always used the back-button instead of home when exiting the title, but I'll see if I can find some time tonight and tomorrow to test with the Home Button as well.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
lfayb
Level 8

RokuShawnS.

Ok  thanks.   For some reason I have always used the home button.  It may be one of those thinks that just happened to work,  where results are unpredictable.  But something does seem to have changed but just for Amazon Prime (as far as I can tell).  I will appreciate any light you can shed on it.  It may be that I should start  use the home button even on Netflix even if the home button does work for now.

Thanks
0 Kudos
renojim
Level 8

In general, don't use the home button to exit a channel. It's akin to pressing the reset button on a computer. The channel gets no warning and no chance to save any information. It may be ok sometimes, but often will not be.

-JT
0 Kudos
lfayb
Level 8

renojm

Thanks.   Guess I have been using the button for and "unsupported function".   But something changed, but it appers to have changed only for Amazon Prime.
But, regardless, seems I  probably need to  always use the back button.

But I am a bit curious as to what happened  to cause the change.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

"renojim" wrote:
In general, don't use the home button to exit a channel.  It's akin to pressing the reset button on a computer.  The channel gets no warning and no chance to save any information.  It may be ok sometimes, but often will not be.

-JT

You can't exit some channels any other way. Pluto TV is one example, and I know there are others. I didn't like doing it either, but it doesn't seem to impact any channel in my experience. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
dfgsrzwer
Level 7

"lfayb" wrote:
renojm

Thanks.   Guess I have been using the button for and "unsupported function".   But something changed, but it appers to have changed only for Amazon Prime.
But, regardless, seems I  probably need to  always use the back button.

But I am a bit curious as to what happened  to cause the change.

Thanks.

Prime. has always operated that way for me the last 5 years; you either never noticed it or got lucky. I learned very early on to always stop the video before going home. Since I never use the resume function on any other app, Home works with the others just fine.
Charter Spectrum 60; d-link dual band router
Roku 4210, 3710; Xbox One, 360; Samsung BD player
Samsung tablet; Windows Vista laptop; LG phone
Toshiba DVD-R; Sony AVR; Panasonic AR
1080p and 720p TVs
0 Kudos