Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

trouble playing jpgs with mov and mp4 files in roku media player

I'd like to use my roku tv to play a slideshow consisting of photos and short videos, off of a usb drive.  The roku media player channel will recognize the photo and video files fine.  I can play the videos individually just fine.  I can also play a folder of only jpgs as a slideshow, or an .m3u playlist file of only jpgs just fine.

However, if I have a folder mixed with both jpgs and videos, the roku media player channel eventually gets stuck on "retrieving" when it comes to a video file.  The same thing happens with an m3u playlist file with both jpgs and videos.  The list (or folder) will play the jpgs just fine until a video file comes along in the sequence.  Then the screen will say "retrieving" and the app gets stuck.  Eventually the TV will power cycle twice and exit the app.

My videos consist of .mov and .mp4 files, and all play just fine by themselves.

I'd appreciate any help or ideas you can offer.  Thank you,
0 Kudos
4 Replies

Re: trouble playing jpgs with mov and mp4 files in roku media player

I did some more testing and I learned a couple things about playing usb media on a roku tv:

1. roku will play an .m3u playlist of only .jpgs just fine

2. roku will play an .m3u playlist of only .movs just fine

3. roku cannot play an .m3u playlist containing both types of files.  A "mixed" playlist will play the first jpg, then it hangs up.  The screen says "retrieving," and the tv will reboot itself twice before reverting to the main roku menu.

Any ideas how I can fix this issue?  Thank you,
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

RokuDale will have to respond to this. He's the RMP expert on the forum. It might not be possible, but he's the one that can say for sure. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos

thank you.  I tried a couple modifications to the .m3u file, to see if it would help.  I tried adding a running time to the .jpg files, and I also tried changing the runtime of the videos to zero.  Neither one of these helped.  I noticed that the roku "file system" had trouble listing the files in a playlist when there is a mix of jpgs and videos.  If you just click on a .m3u playlist with mixed file types, the video files are listed with a thumbnail from one of the images.  In this context, roku does not realize it's dealing with a video, and it steals a thumbnail from an adjacent jpg in the playlist.

I could not find a uniform file specification for .m3u files, apparently there is none.  But if there is a special way to make the .m3u file in roku so I can use these mixed playlists, that would be great.

I should point out again that I also experience the same lockup when I just play a simple file folder containing both jpgs and video files.  Roku locks up on the "retrieving..." message.
0 Kudos
RokuDale
Level 8

That sounds like a bug as mixed media playback is supposed to work.
There is a newer version of RMP in beta test group. It would be best to look into this further there.
Send a PM to me and I'll send a short NDA for you to agree to and then I can add you to the rmp beta group.
thanks for your help and patience.
rokudale
0 Kudos