Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dlleno
Level 7

synology media server

hi

I haveca roku ultra device of about 4 months old, and using Roku Media player I am not able to see any of my video content served up by synology media server . roku media player sees photos just fine but not the. mkv or . mp4 files. all other dlna clients in the house work just fine (windows media player on win 7, windows media player on win 10 and a, Samsung TV)

I noticed that roku does not list synology as a supported dlna server. is that likely to change or Do I need to move away from roku in favor of a different solution?

yes ds video is working fine but I have seen that this will disappear on 2019.

Thank you for your comments
0 Kudos
36 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: synology media server

I can't speak from any experience with a Synology box, but I do have extensive experience with other DLNA servers. Many NAS boxes do not have the power to transcode video, or even if they have the power the provided DLNA server software doesn't support it well. Depending on what is within your video files, the Ultra may not be able to play them, and if it thinks it can't play them they won't appear. 
Roku players have a very limited number of video and audio codecs that are supported, as well as only a few containers. MKV and MP4 are supported containers, but the codecs within them must be supported. See this web page to see what is supported. 
Roku Media Players supports virtually any DLNA server, so just because it isn't listed doesn't mean it won't work. If you were using a computer I might suggest several different DLNA software products to try. Even with your NAS, there are some alternatives to the server software it came with. Serviio provides a package for Synology, as does Plex. There might be others, but I know those two do work. However, it usually requires more than a basic computer knowledge to install to the NAS.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
dlleno
Level 7

Im not an expert, but DVD rips with makemkv should be mpeg2 no? . the synology 918+ has enough horsepower to transcode a single 4k stream in software without using the native hardware transcoding of the celeron j3455 processor. I can play all of these mkv rips with the ds video app, just not via dlna.

but the codec theory does sound plausible though I just haven't gotten to the bottom of it. maybe there is a synology side setting that I have yet to find
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

"dlleno" wrote:
Im not an expert, but DVD rips with makemkv should be mpeg2  no? .  the synology 918+  has enough horsepower to transcode a single 4k stream in software without using the native hardware transcoding of the celeron j3455 processor.   I can play all of these mkv rips with the ds video app, just not via dlna.

but the codec theory does sound plausible though  I just haven't gotten to the bottom of it.  maybe there is a synology side setting that I have yet to find

Correct, virtually every DVD uses MPEG2. Guess what? Roku doesn't support MPEG2!  Smiley Very Happy Unless you have a Roku TV, MPEG2 video requires transcoding. And it sounds like your NAS has enough power for transcoding. The audio from a DVD is either DD or DTS. Every player and TV on the market can handle DD, but not all TVs will play DTS audio. If you are sending your audio to an AVR, then DTS should work fine. If you are connected directly to your TV, it's hit or miss. 
Again, I have no idea what settings your NAS DLNA server has. I believe it uses something called MiniDLNA, although that might have been a different brand of NAS. If you can't find any settings for transcoding, you might try installing Serviio or Plex on it. I can almost guarantee your videos would play fine.
Disclaimer: I am a moderator on the Serviio forum, and am the author of the profiles it uses for Roku players. But I just another end user, and have no other affiliation with Serviio beyond that.  Smiley Very Happy
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
dlleno
Level 7

yea it must be that my synology is not transcoding mpeg2 to 264 which I'm trying to do. I'll have to play with that more... or use handbrake to transcode mpeg2 to. 264

Thanks for the pointers I think I see what's going on
0 Kudos
dlleno
Level 7

update ; using handbrake I have produced a H264 video inside mkv, and Roku media player still can't see it. it sees photos in /photo and it sees the nas folders where the h. 264 mkv resides but doesn't see the mkv
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Can you provide the media info for the file? You can use a program called MediaInfo, or run ffmpeg -i from the command line. Need to see what's exactly inside the MKV file.
Dan
0 Kudos
RokuDale
Level 8

Which particular model synology are you using? Did you install a media server yourself? If so which one did you install?
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

He said the Synology 918+, and almost positive he's using the default DLNA function, whatever that is...  Smiley Very Happy
Dan
0 Kudos
beq
Level 8

"atc98092" wrote:
Roku doesn't support MPEG2!  Smiley Very Happy Unless you have a Roku TV, MPEG2 video requires transcoding.

That brings up your interesting post... Smiley Very Happy
0 Kudos