Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
teckel
Level 8

Re: sling app change on or about July 2021, menu problems

Jump to solution

Just got the Sling app update today and it's useless. Contacted Sling and they didn't seem too interested in functionality. Said rolling back was not an option.

So, I guess this is when I cancel my Sling service. They lost 100,000 customers last month, I'm sure this will be repeated this month as well. If anyone plays the market, this would be the right time to short Dish network. 

bbuch57
Level 7

Jump to solution

Just saw the update on my Roku Express last night. Do NOT like it at all. They took away so much of the functionality. It has not updated on my older Roku 3 yet (thankfully).

I cut the chord years ago and have enjoyed Sling as an alternative to cable/satellite. Now it looks like every on-demand streaming service instead of a cable substitute.

If/when my Roku 3 updates I guess I will have to decide whether to give up Sling or Roku or both.

phantoms
Level 9

Jump to solution

I see they're running ads about the new Sling App on TV now. While some of it is a nice change, much of it is a huge step backwards,

You can definitely tell it was designed by someone who doesn't use Sling to start with. If so they would have kept a lot of the abilities we already had and gave us more choice ofn how to use the features they added.

rsiefert
Level 8

Jump to solution

While watching my favorite show, I always use the down arrow to see the schedule for upcoming and past episodes. I could then just scroll through and pick the shows I want to see. The new app makes me want to cancel my subscription. At least allow us long time users keep the old app.

@syphon94 wrote:

for real, they just ruined it. and its probably because some moron thought it'd be cool, hip, and cutting edge. it seriously gets under my skin when something works perfectly fine and then its f****** up in the name of progress. thanks sling! 

Also Sling now requires you to add Discovery Plus to watch many channels at additional cost. You are becoming just like cable and you will soon be priced out of existence - at least for me.....

rsiefert
Level 8

Jump to solution

That is my issue, also. Sling was great and now a pain in the a** to use. Give us the option to use the old app.

rsiefert
Level 8

Jump to solution

Not if you have a ROKU TV that I purchased

@sbsaylor wrote:

Use Firestick. Older version of Sling is available there.

because I (used) to like SLING.

0 Kudos
LenoraColso
Level 7

Jump to solution

Discovery+ support to see if they have any plans to develop and offer a channel for their service on the Roku platform. 

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @rsiefert

I hope you're doing well.

Channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel developer themselves. We suggest reaching out to Sling TV support directly to submit your feedback.

You can contact them here: https://help.sling.com/ or at 888-363-1777. 

We appreciate your understanding.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
doug79
Level 8

Jump to solution

Sadly Sling is very hard to contact, I don't tweet or facebook, do you know another way to get in touch with them. Perhaps phone or e-mail, I would love to communicate the issue to them.

Like so many companies their support has a ton of canned self help that can put you in an endless loop and no practical means of direct communication. Not great for a service you pay for! 

Please help if you can.

0 Kudos
teckel
Level 8

Jump to solution

@RokuKariza-D wrote:

Channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel developer themselves. We suggest reaching out to Sling TV support directly to submit your feedback.

You can contact them here: https://help.sling.com/

I understand that, and have already contacted Sling, but they were not interested in assisting.   Sling doesn't offer a forum to post grievances, and it's specific to certain platforms (for example, the Sling app on Android isn't so bad).  The new Roku Sling app, however, is an abomination, which is why I posted here.

View solution in original post