Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JorgeToroCea
Level 8

serious problems with HBO MAX on ROKU EXPRESS

The HBO MAX app on my ROKU EXPRESS works very badly. The content hardly loads and if for some reason I want to change the movie or series, the ROKU just reboots.
I search and look for solutions for this and there is nothing. I've already tried all the "tricks" like reinstalling the channel or closing all sessions and restarting ROKU after reinstalling HBO MAX and everything remains the same.
Is there any solution? Does HBO MAX work well for anyone on their ROKU EXPRESS? I need a solution because otherwise I will have to abandon the ROKU platform for one that does work.

7 Replies
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: serious problems with HBO MAX on ROKU EXPRESS

I can't really answer your question since I don't have HBO Max, but since the Express uses a USB power adapter make sure you're using the supplied power adapter and not your TV's USB port.  An insufficient power supply can cause all kinds of strange issues.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
JorgeToroCea
Level 8

Hello!!! thanks for your answer.
Indeed I have the Roku plugged directly into the outlet using the adapter that comes with the equipment. The application does not improve in performance and still has many problems.

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Level 21

After removing a channel, best practice is to restart your Roku to clear its memory before reinstalling the channel. Did you do this?

Restart via Settings > System > System restart (for Roku TVs: Settings > System > Power > System restart)
  • Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
JorgeToroCea
Level 8

Yes. it was one of the first things I did to try to fix the problem and it didn't work.
Navigating the channel is almost impossible and accessing menus such as subtitles or languages only causes the APP to close or the ROKU to restart.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser

@JorgeToroCea wrote:

Yes. it was one of the first things I did to try to fix the problem and it didn't work.
Navigating the channel is almost impossible and accessing menus such as subtitles or languages only causes the APP to close or the ROKU to restart.

You didnt mention your model # or firmware version:  Settings/System/About

..or the HBO Max version:  Highlight HBO Max, press Options (*)

Just as an FYI, the HBO Max app is poorly coded on all of its supported platforms.

Try this and see if it makes any difference:

1) Check for updates:  Settings/System/System Update/Check now

2) Change your theme to the Roku default:  Settings/Theme/Restore default theme

3) Change your screensaver to a Roku clock:  Settings/Theme/Screensavers

4) Load HBO Max

StreamerUser

0 Kudos
JorgeToroCea
Level 8

Thank you very much for your answers but really whatever I do, the channel continues to work badly, but last night I noticed something interesting and that is if I leave HBOMAX open for a few minutes without doing anything and then I start browsing the screen. it is very fluid and does not collapse.

Apparently the problem is that the channel is very heavy and the ROKU's memory is not capable of loading all the information at the speed that channels such as NETFLIX or PRIME VIDEO can.

Exactly what I did:
1.- I left the roku plugged directly into the power outlet and not to the USB of the TV.
2.- I turned on the Roku and opened HBO MAX
3.- Wait about 5 minutes before doing anything.
4.- I navigated through the menus in a very simple way and without crashing, being able to even search for content and configure aspects such as Languages ​​or subtitles.

In summary, I believe that this channel cannot be used in the same way as we do with others that are well optimized for our ROKU and we can only wait for a version that adapts to the limitations of our devices.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser

That's not uncommon for many apps on many platforms - they are "front load heavy", and try to load everything up front as soon as possible.

Roku actually has requirements for maximum app load times - this forces larger/front load heavy apps to space/spread out their loading over time, especially with slower/lower memory (or older) models - so this is what you are experiencing with the HBO Max on your Express (it takes longer to fully load).

HBO Max isnt the only app you may experience this with, especially on older/slower/lower memory models, but due to its large size and inefficient design/coding its more obvious.

StreamerUser

0 Kudos