Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
venz0ja
Level 7

roku media player support Cyrillic?

file names where there is a Cyrillic alphabet are not displayed in the Program,
 the war of the Worlds (Война миров Z) Z is displayed only Z
can I add support for Windows 1251 encoding? or 
0 Kudos
5 Replies
venz0ja
Level 7

Re: roku media player support Cyrillic?

have news? 
0 Kudos
fluke
Level 10

If you build your own Roku Channel then you can package a different TrueType Font into the channel.

It would be nice if the Roku channels could allow for the selection of TTF files from the USB drive but it looks like that currently isn't an option.  If Roku does choose to extend the typography API to allow for loading from the USB drive, they could choose at the same time to extend the official Roku Media Player to support an "autorun.ttf" file (that automatically loads a font supplied by the USB drive) similar to how it already supports an autorun.m3u.
0 Kudos
zolotoiy
Level 7

Roku should simply use one Unicode font. This is ridiculous in 21 st century to have just Latin support.
0 Kudos
fluke
Level 10

I'm not sure having a complete Unicode v11 font set of 137,000 characters would be the best use of resources.  However, I have to agree that limiting support to use latin characters is disappointing.  Given that Google, Red Hat and the GNU project have released more complete font sets under licensing terms similar to library code baked into Roku OS.  For example, Google Roboto is under an Apache license, has a complete Unicode v7 character set, is less than 200kb as a TTF and is designed to still look good at a wide range of resolutions including budget phones that are below 720p quality.

I understand there are design constraints to creating an embedded device but in this case I am having a hard time coming up with a good excuse why cyrillic isn't standard in Roku OS and would be left up to being on a per channel basis for support.
0 Kudos
cyborg
Level 7

Same problem... This is weird to support only latin characters
0 Kudos