Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
philsoft
Level 8

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

"dpurser" wrote:
I don't know if this has been posted before but tonight, I started building xml files for each video, to use with the Directory Structure approach. I found that if you include an & (and sign) in the Genre category, Roksbox will not read the xml.

Just an FYI.

As a regular, registered Rokxbox user, I have to say I'm loving Roksbox.

You probably have to use &amp: rather than just &
0 Kudos
DallasSoxFan
Level 7

First post here, but I thought I'd help out some of the Microsoft folks out there.

For a default IIS install on WIndows 7, you will need to check the following things:

1. You may need to use the IP address instead of the server name in your web address configuration. I'm sure this can be worked around, but its on the local LAN, so who cares.

2. Important: You will need to create a Mime type mapping for the videos folder for .mp4 files. Extension is .mp4, type is video/mpeg

3. THe default install of IIS from add windows features does not open the windows firewall for http access. Edit the firewall and allow local LAN access to the World Wide Web Publishing service.

Hope this info helps. Time to start queuing up my VIDEO_TS folders for conversion to MP4.
0 Kudos
djwurm
Level 7

Ahh turning off windows 7 firewall worked! I can see Avatar demo but when I go play it it says Http Error 403.. anyone know how to fix this? also can you just get a top down list or do you always have to use the XML files?
0 Kudos
WilDD
Level 7

"philsoft" wrote:
WilDD,
Have you noticed the DVP becoming slow and dropping video and audio occasionally when watching video over USB?

I just watched a 2+ hour video on a Sandisk flashdrive, and it seemed to be fine. I don't know if anyone else is having problems with USB.
0 Kudos
WilDD
Level 7

"ItsMeAaron" wrote:
Any plans to add automatic metadata retrieval?

Maybe something akin to (the very excellent) Media Browser (http://code.google.com/p/videobrowser/)?

Unfortunately the Roku SDK doesn't provide this ability. The alternative is to use Personal Video Database to create the xml file with the detail information.
0 Kudos
WilDD
Level 7

"djwurm" wrote:
Ahh turning off windows 7 firewall worked! I can see Avatar demo but when I go play it it says Http Error 403.. anyone know how to fix this? also can you just get a top down list or do you always have to use the XML files?

You don't have to use an XML file. Get rid of your video XML name in the Media Settings. This will tell Roksbox to search your existing directory structure for videos.
0 Kudos
philsoft
Level 8

"WilDD" wrote:
"philsoft" wrote:
WilDD,
Have you noticed the DVP becoming slow and dropping video and audio occasionally when watching video over USB?

I just watched a 2+ hour video on a Sandisk flashdrive, and it seemed to be fine. I don't know if anyone else is having problems with USB.

OK, this is on an XDS, trying to figure out if it is exclusive to the new hardware.
0 Kudos
ldr223
Level 7

Hi, I can't get no web server to work at all on my windows XP. I try the Mongoose software and I did what the instructions and it still not working on putting videos over there on my Roku player. Does anybody know any other web server that is easy to used? I don't want to used apache I look into that and its so hard for me to figure out. I like to try orb (I pretty much know how to work with that software) with it but I don't know how to put videos over there on my Roku with that software. If I can't get this to work is there any way to get my money back too (I already pay my $10.00 for it)?
0 Kudos
midiwall
Level 7

"ldr223" wrote:
Hi, I can't get no web server to work at all on my windows XP. I try the Mongoose software and I did what the instructions and it still not working on putting videos over there on my Roku player. Does anybody know any other web server that is easy to used?

You might wanna take a look at this post:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=26058&start=945#p201255

It'll help figure out if you can get to the server at all by reducing Roksbox as a variable.
:: Mark
0 Kudos
WilDD
Level 7

"midiwall" wrote:
"ldr223" wrote:
Hi, I can't get no web server to work at all on my windows XP. I try the Mongoose software and I did what the instructions and it still not working on putting videos over there on my Roku player. Does anybody know any other web server that is easy to used?

You might wanna take a look at this post:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=26058&start=945#p201255

It'll help figure out if you can get to the server at all by reducing Roksbox as a variable.

Also look at this web page:

http://roksbox.com/home/index.php?optio ... icle&id=62

Keep us posted with your progress.
0 Kudos