Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

"abe" wrote:

I've yet to figured out how to change the location of my media from anywhere but the default Sites folder that the Apache server apparently uses. I would like to change that to an external hard drive. I've tried altering the user.conf file and using symbolic and alias links but nothing has worked so far. Its a pain having to not only re-encode the files but not being able to store them where I want.

I didn't fully ready this before making my last post. I've tried aliases and just tried Symbolic Links with no success either.

Seems like there's GOT to be a way to do this but I'm at a brick wall, again.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Try Chaneru, it might help !
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

"greubel" wrote:
Try Chaneru, it might help !
I agree that Chaneru will help anyone that wants to use their directory structure for movie organization or want very easy installation but Roxbox's use of a video.xml file gives it an advantage for those that want more info attached to their movies when browsing.

This is not the place for debate about the advantages/disadvantage of each, I guess a separate thread would be best for that, and I have yet to make my final choice.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"Gilgamesh" wrote:
I agree that Chaneru will help anyone that wants to use their directory structure for movie organization or want very easy installation but Roxbox's use of a video.xml file gives it an advantage for those that want more info attached to their movies when browsing.

This is not the place for debate about the advantages/disadvantage of each, I guess a separate thread would be best for that, and I have yet to make my final choice.

I have questions about Chaneru but will start a new thread on the forum for that.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I was trying out this software tonight.

I installed Mongoose on my Windows Home Server box. Verified I could hit http://servername from another machine after setting the share/webroot location and restarting the service. I first removed the XML paths in the settings for roksbox, as I just wanted to use my directory structure. An example for Videos - is root\Videos (actual movies are in a subfolder called 'Movies'). The path is set as 'Videos' in roksbox settings.

This would retrieve no movies. So I decided to try PVD. I did that, and placed the resulting xml into the videos share, and referenced it on roksbox. Roksbox reads this file, but when i try to play any of the movies it throws 'An unexpected problem (but not server timeout or HTTP error) has been detected.'

For music, I just want to use directory setup as well. My music is located in root\Music. When I click 'My Music' from the roksbox channel, it takes a moment, and then completely kicks me out of the channel, back to my listing of all channels i have.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

"Oh4Sh0" wrote:

I installed Mongoose on my Windows Home Server box. Verified I could hit http://servername from another machine after setting the share/webroot location and restarting the service. I first removed the XML paths in the settings for roksbox, as I just wanted to use my directory structure. An example for Videos - is root\Videos (actual movies are in a subfolder called 'Movies'). The path is set as 'Videos' in roksbox settings.

This would retrieve no movies. So I decided to try PVD. I did that, and placed the resulting xml into the videos share, and referenced it on roksbox. Roksbox reads this file, but when i try to play any of the movies it throws 'An unexpected problem (but not server timeout or HTTP error) has been detected.'

For music, I just want to use directory setup as well. My music is located in root\Music. When I click 'My Music' from the roksbox channel, it takes a moment, and then completely kicks me out of the channel, back to my listing of all channels i have.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Sounds like you might be using a MAC and if you are I cannot help much but some of my experiences might help:

To use an xml file this is what works for meSmiley SadI use, for now, a very simple setup)

Roxbox wants Mongoose's web server to point to a root directory. (There is a workaround for this but I have not used it.)

Media root folder is empty

Video folder path is a \

Video XML name is Videos.xml (and it lives in the root directory)

Make sure that when using PVD all paths are relative to the root directory (I do not know if Roxbox will even see other drives)

Also, it seems that Roxbox fails on file names that contain periods. ie King_Kong.mp4 works but King.Kong.mp4 does not.

One more thing: it seems to fail if the file names are too close a match to the directory name. ie. if you have a directory named Jaws and it contains movies named Jaws_1.mp4, Jaws_2.mp4, Jaws_3.mp4, and Jaws_4.mp4 none of the movies will play and you get a 404 error but if the directory is name is Sharks then all files in it work correctly.

Hope this helps a bit to get you started.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"Gilgamesh" wrote:
"Oh4Sh0" wrote:

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Sounds like you might be using a MAC and if you are I cannot help much but some of my experiences might help:

To use an xml file this is what works for meSmiley SadI use, for now, a very simple setup)

Roxbox wants Mongoose's web server to point to a root directory. (There is a workaround for this but I have not used it.)

Media root folder is empty

Video folder path is a \

Video XML name is Videos.xml (and it lives in the root directory)

Make sure that when using PVD all paths are relative to the root directory (I do not know if Roxbox will even see other drives)

Also, it seems that Roxbox fails on file names that contain periods. ie King_Kong.mp4 works but King.Kong.mp4 does not.

One more thing: it seems to fail if the file names are too close a match to the directory name. ie. if you have a directory named Jaws and it contains movies named Jaws_1.mp4, Jaws_2.mp4, Jaws_3.mp4, and Jaws_4.mp4 none of the movies will play and you get a 404 error but if the directory is name is Sharks then all files in it work correctly.

Hope this helps a bit to get you started.

Nope, box the media is on is a Windows Home Server. But thanks for your help. I thought the relative pathing for PVD might be my issue. Hadn't thought of that. But after playing around with paths, it appears a '404' error is thrown if it cannot find the file.

so to clarify, my movies are structured as:
D:\shares\Videos\Movies

my webroot is:
D:\shares

my Videos.xml file is:
D:\shares\Videos\Videos.xml

my 'videos' dir in roksbox is:
Videos

Again, if I just use folder structure, and no XML files, roksbox reports 'Movies' is an empty directory. I can connect to it from another machine and stream videos @ http://servername/Videos/Movies/moviename.extension just fine.

If I use the PVD utility to generate the XML file and place it where I mentioned above, and then set the string in the roksbox setup as Videos.xml, the file is read/my video information is loaded, but I get the aforementioned error.

None of my movies are .mp4's. They're all .divx or .avi. That the issue?

Music is another issue entirely. I have about 1500 mp3's in my music dir. Clicking 'Music' in roksbox - it searches and then takes a moment on generating playlist, finally bringing up a button for MusicLib. Clicking that, it takes a moment, and then kicks me back to my channel selection screen.

Hopefully those details help if I wasn't clear enough initially.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

"Oh4Sh0" wrote:

Nope, box the media is on is a Windows Home Server. But thanks for your help. I thought the relative pathing for PVD might be my issue. Hadn't thought of that. But after playing around with paths, it appears a '404' error is thrown if it cannot find the file.

my webroot is:

my Videos.xml file is:

Videos

Again, if I just use folder structure, and no XML files, roksbox reports 'Movies' is an empty directory. I can connect to it from another machine and stream videos @ http://servername/Videos/Movies/moviename.extension just fine.

If I use the PVD utility to generate the XML file and place it where I mentioned above, and then set the string in the roksbox setup as Videos.xml, the file is read/my video information is loaded, but I get the aforementioned error.

Music is another issue entirely. I have about 1500 mp3's in my music dir. Clicking 'Music' in roksbox - it searches and then takes a moment on generating playlist, finally bringing up a button for MusicLib. Clicking that, it takes a moment, and then kicks me back to my channel selection screen.

OK.

I think your Webroot needs to be D:\ set in Mongoose's config.

Also the Roku will only play mp4, mpv, and, I think, one other format that I cannot remember right now but Divx and avi are not supported. This is a limitation of the box not the ch.

If you really want to get this, or any other current streaming ch, working I would convert one movie to an mp4 or an mpv, you can use Handbrake for this, and place it in the simplest location possible and get it playing and go from there.

When using Handbrake be sure to set the frame rate at 29.97 to avoid rebuffering after about half of a movie.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"Gilgamesh" wrote:
"Oh4Sh0" wrote:

my webroot is:

my Videos.xml file is:

Videos

OK.

I think your Webroot needs to be D:\ set in Mongoose's config.

Also the Roku will only play mp4, mpv, and, I think, one other format that I cannot remember right now but Divx and avi are not supported. This is a limitation of the box not the ch.

If you really want to get this, or any other current streaming ch, working I would convert one movie to an mp4 or an mpv, you can use Handbrake for this, and place it in the simplest location possible and get it playing and go from there.

When using Handbrake be sure to set the frame rate at 29.97 to avoid rebuffering after about half of a movie.

That's what I'm currently trying.

Thanks!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

After converting American Pie 4, and The Bucket List, I get the same message trying to access the American Pie 4 file 'An unexpected problem (but not server timeout or HTTP error) has been detected.' The files at least show up in the directory structure now, however. The Bucket List on the other hand, says the format is either invalid or corrupt. Strange, since they were both converted by handbrake to mp4 with the same settings.
0 Kudos