Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
maw4156
Level 8

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

"philsoft" wrote:
"krisbee" wrote:
And the obvious, you have turned off your router and rebooted, along with the Roku's, right?

And reboot the server.

Rebooting the server (for the third time) seems to have done the trick. AAARRRGGHHHH Deeep breath - I'm up and running again!!! YEAH!!!

Thanks for all of the help - as always!!!
0 Kudos
krisbee
Level 7

"maw4156" wrote:
"philsoft" wrote:
"krisbee" wrote:
And the obvious, you have turned off your router and rebooted, along with the Roku's, right?

And reboot the server.

Rebooting the server (for the third time) seems to have done the trick. AAARRRGGHHHH Deeep breath - I'm up and running again!!! YEAH!!!

Thanks for all of the help - as always!!!

No problem... glad it was solved... also sometimes having a firewall turned on causes problems if it isn't clearly defined/allowed for intranet traffic, which trapped me once when it was inadvertently turned on...
0 Kudos
iarizona
Level 7

Tilde still a problem in V2. WilDD I tried it again on V2 and Roksbox does not list any of my movies that exist in the Mac's Sites location. This used to work a couple of months back even on version 1.

I am using Apache2 on the Mac and the logs show that HTTP accesses that carries the tilde such as http://10.1.0.2/~username are processed ok by Apache with a return code of 200. But there are also other HTTP requests coming from Roksbox that replace the tilde with %7E (automatic replacement by Roksbox I think) and those do not return HTTP code 200, so there is not problem there.

So the result is none of my movies are listed and of course I cannot play them.

I don't want to add symbolic links so can you look into this again? Thanks!

By the way you may want to consider adding optional automatic transcoding, like Plex does, to your product in a future release. Plex has a lot of bugs so this is an opportunity for you to transcode everything on-the-fly to a playable format such as .mp4.

Best Regards.
0 Kudos
krisbee
Level 7

Sorry for my ignorance (use linux and not a mac), but can't you make a symbolic link from somewhere to your ~username location - like http://10.0.0.0/link which then points to your ~username location? it will resolve correctly, as will all the subdirectories, but you don't have to do anything except the one initial link... (so http://10.0.0.0/link/videos/video.mp4 really is at http://10.0.0.0/~username/videos/video.mp4)

As for transcoding, software would have to be installed on the web serving computer - which isn't what roksbox does - the only software installed is on the Roku - you install a webserver (or if one is already installed, great)... I don't run plex specifically because I don't want to run plex software on my computer (older linux machine that also functions as my dvr backend, and NAS)...
0 Kudos
kirkwolf
Level 7

I have roksbox running, serving videos from my linux server.

I have a basic question: what is the best tool (command line linux) to use if I need to lower the average bitrate of a mp4 or mkv video so that it will play on my ROKU 2 HD?

Many of the videos that I want to play are, from various sources, 720P MP4 or mkv. They seem to be using supported codecs, but have an average bit rate of 4-5 mbits/sec.

Thanks,

Kirk

BTW: I tried using ffmpeg with settings as described here: http://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/RokuSDK ... ndBitrates
It ran a long time, and didn't lower the bit rate or file size at all. Wierd.
0 Kudos
philsoft
Level 8

"kirkwolf" wrote:
They seem to be using supported codecs, but have an average bit rate of 4-5 mbits/sec.

This bitrate should not be a problem for HD video.
0 Kudos
Arwen
Level 7

"kirkwolf" wrote:
Many of the videos that I want to play are, from various sources, 720P MP4 or mkv. They seem to be using supported codecs, but have an average bit rate of 4-5 mbits/sec.

If I remember correctly, MKV are only supported via the USB channel(s), not for streaming. Use MP4.

As the prior response said, 4-5Mbps should be fine. I routinely run 6Mbps or higher on my Roku 2 XS
for SD and 720p. Even upto 15Mbps for 1080p.

As for trans-coding, I use HandBrake, which works well under Linux via command line;

http://handbrake.fr/

And I also use Linux as my media server, (a fit-PC1). Works very well even for 1080p videos. (Though
it's slow to copy over the large files like videos... but whence there, great.)
Arwen Evenstar
Middle Earth
0 Kudos
krisbee
Level 7

I agree with the past posters - your bandwith should be fine - I would look into some of your wireless settings on the router, making sure the mhz size is as big as possible, perhaps changing channels, etc. first. Then I would look into your webserver and make sure the settings there are optimized - perhaps there is a priority setting that is gumming up the works, or cache size in apache, etc...

Having said that, to change bit rate, I would use either mencoder using xvid (quicker) and putting that in an mp4 container (which works), or using handbrake (which is basically all I use to make roku compliant files)...
0 Kudos
krisbee
Level 7

Also, your mkv's I would look at and see if they have the right codecs in them, if so, converting them to mp4 is a snap using ffmpeg with the copy option, so basically it is just changing it to the proper container...

ffmpeg -i file.mkv -vcodec copy -acodec copy file.mp4
0 Kudos
lakanen
Level 7

Neither Version of Roksbox Displays My Artwork and Most Albu

Got a helluva puzzle on my hands.

Just moved to new place. Have new wireless router (built into DSL modem). Have copied entire 10 GB of music library from backup to my laptop. Installed Mongoose 2.8. Added exception to Windows Firewall.

I predominantly use the Music Directory Structure approach plus three custom XML playlists. My folder structure is the typical style where level 1 is the artist and level 2 are the album sub-folders. I have folder.jpg files in about 95% of the album sub-folders.

Both versions of Roksbox (original and cloud) are doing the same thing: Playlists are fine; all music plays and art displays. But (and here's the problem) when I go the directories, the vast majority of them display: (empty)

The few that display the album(s) so I can play it, do not show the folder.jpg artwork.

So I pulled out my iPad to test the web connection. It all works fine: directory browsing, viewing the folder.jpg files, etc.

And as if this situation isn't confusing enough... I have a single artist who has both her albums display WITH THEIR COVER ART. But no one else.

I've rebooted the Roku several times and re-configured the settings manually, but to no avail.

What the heck is going on? I would appreciate any advice you can offer.

Also, does Frugal Mode still exist in the cloud version? If so, I can't figure out how to turn it on. Could that be my problem?

And, yes, all of this worked fine at my old place with a different wireless router and hosting the music on workstation instead of the laptop.

Thanks!

-peter
0 Kudos