Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gilgamesh
Level 8

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

"italic" wrote:
Hi
just registered on roksbox.com and paid my $15.
Installed the roksbox channel on my Roku XS.
When i try to register it, the screen telling me it's generating the code pops up for about 3 seconds and then jumps back to the roksbox channel home screen and therefore NO CODE!!


I've tried to uninstall and re-install the channel, tried unplugging my Roku and plugging it in again but nothing works.

Please help me. I've been searching the web including this forum and no-one seems to have the same problem!


There is a slight possibility that something in your Roku or in the Roksbox ch is at fault for this problem but there have been very few, if any, reports of this kind of problem with Roksbox. I suspect it is more likely that something in your setup is not playing well with the calls Roksbox is making to complete the action.

It is even possible that something on the Roksbox end is messing up. As we have seen with the GoDaddy outage there can be things unrelated to a ch that causes issues with operation or verification.

There are a couple of things you can try at this point that might get you past the activation page:

1. If you are running wireless and you have one of the Rokus with a wired Ethernet port try temporarily hooking up wired and see if you can complete the process. You can, probably, switch back to wireless after it completes.

2. Temporarily turn off the firewall and security in your router. Then try to complete the process. Be sure to turn them back on after you get the activation completed.

If you try those and they do not work then check back here and we will come up with some other ideas.

When you check back be sure to include a bit more info. like where you are located, the model of your Roku, your connection type, the router you are connected to, ISP, and the speed of your connection.

Oh, it just occurred to me that this could be a DNS routing issue. If you are given a bad route to whatever server the code is coming from then it could screw up the process. You can try OpenDNS ( 208.67.222.222 ) or Google DNS ( 8.8.8.8 ) to see if the issue resolves. As with the other changes mentioned it is fairly trivial to change these settings in most routers and changing them back is equally trivial.
0 Kudos
grgisme
Level 7

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

I'm having an issue of the sound and video not being in sync. In other words, the moving lips and the words don't match. Does this have anything to do with the Handbrake settings I've used? I'm using the default audio settings. All I've changed is "Large file size", Decomb-"default", Framerate-"29.97" and Bitrate-"2500" per the Roxbox FAQ.
0 Kudos
Arwen
Level 7

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

"grgisme" wrote:
I'm having an issue of the sound and video not being in sync. In other words, the moving lips and the words don't match. Does this have anything to do with the Handbrake settings I've used? I'm using the default audio settings. All I've changed is "Large file size", Decomb-"default", Framerate-"29.97" and Bitrate-"2500" per the Roxbox FAQ.


Do you have the web optimize option set?

    -O, --optimize          Optimize mp4 files for HTTP streaming
Arwen Evenstar
Middle Earth
0 Kudos
grgisme
Level 7

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

"Arwen" wrote:

Do you have the web optimize option set?

    -O, --optimize          Optimize mp4 files for HTTP streaming


I will try that this evening.....thank you for the suggestion. I also found some more comprehensive settings for Handbrake on the Roksbox website than was listed in the FAQ section. It distinguishes between "DVD" and "Other" and since what I am converting at the moment is a VHS that was burned to DVD I'm thinking I should be using the "Other" settings.
0 Kudos
iarizona
Level 7

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

WilDD - was the tilde problem fixed? Lately sometimes %7e in place of the tilde works, sometimes it does not. I also tried http://10.1.0.2/\%7eusername and the backslash helped for a while and then stopped working. A couple of days ago I tried the tilde again such as http://10.1.0.2/~username and it replaced the ~ with a ? like it used to. Did you fix this or will you fix it? Also, it seems that if I put only one movie file (mp4) in the /Sites directory in an iMac it works fine but if that directory has like 100 movies then Roksbox displays "Search", meaning it does not find any files...I noticed in the httpd access log that Roksbox is trying to access a file named like rbhindex.php (don't know the exact name of that php file right now) and of course that file does not exist in the /Sites directory. Thanks for your help!
0 Kudos
WilDD
Level 7

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

"iarizona" wrote:
WilDD - was the tilde problem fixed? Lately sometimes %7e in place of the tilde works, sometimes it does not. I also tried http://10.1.0.2/\%7eusername and the backslash helped for a while and then stopped working. A couple of days ago I tried the tilde again such as http://10.1.0.2/~username and it replaced the ~ with a ? like it used to. Did you fix this or will you fix it? Also, it seems that if I put only one movie file (mp4) in the /Sites directory in an iMac it works fine but if that directory has like 100 movies then Roksbox displays "Search", meaning it does not find any files...


I thought the tilde problem was fixed. It always works when I test it, but for some reason it doesn't seem to work for everyone. Which version of Roksbox are you using? If you are on V1.x, try V2.x (https://owner.roku.com/add/CU2SC).

I noticed in the httpd access log that Roksbox is trying to access a file named like rbhindex.php (don't know the exact name of that php file right now) and of course that file does not exist in the /Sites directory. Thanks for your help!


The rbindex.php file is for someone whose web server doesn't allow directory listings, or the web server returns non standard directory listings, but is running php. rbindex.php will return the directory listing in a format that Roksbox understands, even if the web server doesn't by default. Roksbox looks for a rbindex.php file, and if it finds one, it will use it to get the directory listings.
0 Kudos
pajer1a
Level 7

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

I have an old Dell, running XP. I have installed Mongoose, and can get to my webserver from the Dell, and also from my laptop. When running Roksbox Setup Wizzard, it never finds the webserver. It indicates that the ip address is unfound. I have re-booted, re-installed Mongoose, turned off my firewall- all to no avail.
Does anyone have any additional suggestions- I'm ready to give up... Thanks for any help...pajer1a
0 Kudos
krisbee
Level 7

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

"pajer1a" wrote:
I have an old Dell, running XP. I have installed Mongoose, and can get to my webserver from the Dell, and also from my laptop. When running Roksbox Setup Wizzard, it never finds the webserver. It indicates that the ip address is unfound. I have re-booted, re-installed Mongoose, turned off my firewall- all to no avail.
Does anyone have any additional suggestions- I'm ready to give up... Thanks for any help...pajer1a


Yes, get rid of mongoose... it frequently causes problems. Try apache.
0 Kudos
ToBeFrank
Level 7

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

Is this where we report bugs? I am using a directory structure for my videos. I have an xml file for each episode. In "poster screen" mode (my preferred mode), in the screen where you select from the list of episodes, the title of the episode (from the xml file) is not displayed. Only the file name is displayed. The title is correctly displayed if you use "grid screen" mode.
0 Kudos
iarizona
Level 7

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

Thanks for the quick reply. I will try the V2.
0 Kudos