Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

"Andycabs" wrote:

I had that problem too. I found that if I open the subtitle file with "Subtitle Workshop 2.51" then save it immediately. The file works fine. Subtitle Workshop must change something when it saves it but it works perfectly.


That did the trick! Hmm.. curious, but I won't waste time thinking about it Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

"hozedhead wrote:

Shuffle does work with playlists created using the directions on the Roksbox site. What I don't know is the limit. I tried one with 5573 songs and it didn't load.

I was able to shuffle what I think was the entire library by using nested folders. My music root is D:\www\media\music. I created another folder beneath music called library and then put all of the artists and albums below that. Then I can highlight one of the artist folders and click the play button on my remote. It takes a really long time to load, around nine minutes, but it works (I think). From looking at the Apache access log and scrolling through the track list it looks like everything is loaded.

One problem with shuffling through the entire library would be varying volume levels of different recordings. If you haven't already applied replay gain to your entire library, I would suggest doing so. There is no way for the Roku to level the playback volume.


Good to know. I won't make massive playlists.

I shall try the nested folder thing. I have about 300 CD's ripped to MP3. How does your music library compare in size?

My wife already toerates the variable levels since she does a random play on our CD colletion in our 200 CD carousel player. I'm tryin to get the digital version wife-approved before the CD play croaks from the constant shuffling.

Jimboha!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

"jimboha!" wrote:

Good to know. I won't make massive playlists.

I shall try the nested folder thing. I have about 300 CD's ripped to MP3. How does your music library compare in size?

My wife already tolerates the variable levels since she does a random play on our CD collection in our 200 CD carousel player. I'm trying to get the digital version wife-approved before the CD play croaks from the constant shuffling.

Jimboha!


I may have screwed up the xml playlist somehow. According to Media Monkey there are 407 albums in the library. That may not be accurate but there are over 5500 songs. It seems pretty much comparable to what you've got. Try it with 20 CDs first to see how you like it. I'm not sure how the shuffle logic works.

Just for the sake of comparison I am using Roksbox directory structure on an Apache 2.2 server on a Windows XP machine.
I didn't bother generating an XML or tagging the music with Media Monkey. There were too many mismatches.
Roku Express 3900RW software v8.10
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

A quick question about using PHP to organize the directory. Does using the PHP method load the Menu faster than using a single xml file? I have been trying to install php on my movie server which is using Windows server 2003 and IIS. Not having much luck though and Im wondering if it is worth the effort. As it is..I use the single XML file which has 1007 different videos. It takes 23 seconds to load the xml file. Would using the php method speed this up?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

"Andycabs" wrote:
A quick question about using PHP to organize the directory. Does using the PHP method load the Menu faster than using a single xml file? I have been trying to install php on my movie server which is using Windows server 2003 and IIS. Not having much luck though and Im wondering if it is worth the effort. As it is..I use the single XML file which has 1007 different videos. It takes 23 seconds to load the xml file. Would using the php method speed this up?


I wonder if you broke them up into smaller sections (A-F, G-K, etc.) if you would do better.

I use Directory Method with individual xml sheets, so I can't tell.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

"krisbee" wrote:
"Andycabs" wrote:
A quick question about using PHP to organize the directory. Does using the PHP method load the Menu faster than using a single xml file? I have been trying to install php on my movie server which is using Windows server 2003 and IIS. Not having much luck though and Im wondering if it is worth the effort. As it is..I use the single XML file which has 1007 different videos. It takes 23 seconds to load the xml file. Would using the php method speed this up?


I wonder if you broke them up into smaller sections (A-F, G-K, etc.) if you would do better.

I use Directory Method with individual xml sheets, so I can't tell.


I thought aobut trying that but as it is..I do not have an XML file for each video. And by using the the directory method, my movies would only show up in their perspective folders. With the single XML they show up in multiple catagories. But the PHP method would would read the catagory info from each individual XML file and place the video in each catagory. I was just wondering if it is worth the effort to get the PHP installed and then create over 1000 individual xml files.

CORRECTION: The php method rould read the genre of each xml file.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Linux Apache

"rlh98296" wrote:
I'm using a Linux dedicated server running Apache. I can't get the xml files to display data. The movies play fine and the poster art displays correctly.

I'm using the directory structure option (frugal mode on) and Roksbox XML Generator for my XML files.
The XML file is located in the same directory as the movie and .jpg poster art. The capitalization, spelling and spacing are correct. So is the server address.

The only line in the XML file I've changed is this:
<path>http://192.168.1.6/var/www/html/media/videos/comedy/Office Space.mp4</path>

I'm wondering if my syntax on the above line is wrong, or Is there a directive in Apache that I don't have set up correctly?

I apologize if this has already been seen and solved, but I searched a lot and couldn't find a similar issue with Apache on Linux. Thanks.


It looks like the URL may be incorrect. What happens if you go to that URL in a web browser?
I am assuming that /var/www/html is the path on the server where the webfiles are stored. As such, you probably shouldn't put that path in the URL. Try going to http://192.168.1.6/media/videos/comedy/ in a browser and see if you see a listing of the files. If that does not work, you can some variations of the URL until you get a directory listing. Once you see a directory listing in a browser, that should be the URL to use in the XML file.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Linux Apache

"hannaman" wrote:
[ Once you see a directory listing in a browser, that should be the URL to use in the XML file.


He figured it out - he was using a bad xml file, hannaman.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

New to Apache. I have it setup and accessible. I want to add an alias to a folder located outside the default videos folders. I am able to access it by typing in the server web address/movies. But I was wondering if there is a way to have the movies folder list within the root of the server web page? This way I can just click on it and it will take me to the folder outside the root.

Hope I explained this well.

thanks
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

What system is your Apache on? If linux or a mac, you can just use symbolic links and it works. I have videos littered throughout my system, but it all looks good on Roksbox Smiley Happy
0 Kudos