Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 9

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

"WilDD" wrote:
Look at Options -> My Options -> Video Preferences -> Category Order. If it is not set on Alphabetical, change it to that and try it again.

Argh! I have been trying to figure out why I've been going crazy the past week or so, and it turns out that this is it. My videos.xml file is sorted the way I intend to present it (series shows are sorted in order) and the alphabetizing that started happening all of a sudden thoroughly confused me and my wife.

It's hard to trust that the software is working when it updates on its own. I very rarely bother to update anything anymore unless it is a specific security update which affects me. Having a couple of Android devices trained me out of that. WilDD, would you ever consider doing something like Debian does - multiple distributions, in which one is basically the alpha code, one the beta, and one the stable code? Of course the stable code is way out of date (which would be just fine for many people, I imagine), and only gets updated every few months, while the bleeding edge is always available to the brave.

This would keep your code management pretty straightforward (says the guy who doesn't have to deal with it) and then users get to pick the stability they want - so if you fat finger a change that affects Mongoose users, for example, it would only affect those on the test channel(s), which would be a subset of your total userbase.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"jimmyswimmy" wrote:
"WilDD" wrote:
Look at Options -> My Options -> Video Preferences -> Category Order. If it is not set on Alphabetical, change it to that and try it again.

Argh! I have been trying to figure out why I've been going crazy the past week or so, and it turns out that this is it. My videos.xml file is sorted the way I intend to present it (series shows are sorted in order) and the alphabetizing that started happening all of a sudden thoroughly confused me and my wife.

It's hard to trust that the software is working when it updates on its own. I very rarely bother to update anything anymore unless it is a specific security update which affects me. Having a couple of Android devices trained me out of that. WilDD, would you ever consider doing something like Debian does - multiple distributions, in which one is basically the alpha code, one the beta, and one the stable code? Of course the stable code is way out of date (which would be just fine for many people, I imagine), and only gets updated every few months, while the bleeding edge is always available to the brave.

This would keep your code management pretty straightforward (says the guy who doesn't have to deal with it) and then users get to pick the stability they want - so if you fat finger a change that affects Mongoose users, for example, it would only affect those on the test channel(s), which would be a subset of your total userbase.

Hmm, I didn't think I changed anything that would cause that to happen. If I did, it wasn't intentional. When I make changes, I try to make it not affect what users already have set. Anything's possible though, I guess I could have changed something to cause that to happen. Were you able to set it the way you want it by selecting XML file order?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Help please ?

My Roksbox is stuck on the opening Rokabox logo and if you press the up arrow it says "working" but never progresses to the next screen or offers the preferences.

I'm sure the server address has changed but I can't get to the settings screen to make the necessary changes.

Thanks in advance.
ROKU Premiere Plus
ROKU 4
ROKU 3
Tablo OTA DVR
Samsung 4K UHD TV
Hisense 4K TV
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Anyone else having issue with subtitles not playing in Roksbox? I have an srt file that I created that plays without issue in mplayer but doesn't in roksbox... this is the first time I have used the subtitle feature.

I do have the subtitles enabled when I play the video...
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"Matt9876" wrote:
Help please ?

My Roksbox is stuck on the opening Rokabox logo and if you press the up arrow it says "working" but never progresses to the next screen or offers the preferences.

I'm sure the server address has changed but I can't get to the settings screen to make the necessary changes.

Thanks in advance.

If you wait long enough it will eventually let you in (could take a few minutes). Then you can change the settings. This will be fixed in a future release.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"krisbee" wrote:
Anyone else having issue with subtitles not playing in Roksbox? I have an srt file that I created that plays without issue in mplayer but doesn't in roksbox... this is the first time I have used the subtitle feature.

Are you sure the case of the srt name matches the video name exactly?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"WilDD" wrote:
"krisbee" wrote:

Are you sure the case of the srt name matches the video name exactly?

Matches exactly, otherwise it wouldn't have played in mplayer in linux. Also, I don't think Roksbox would have given me the option to play it, right?

I wasn't sure if subtitles could be played on a Roku1, but I was intending to watch this title on a Roku2, and regardless, it plays on neither.

Hmm, here is a sample of the first few lines from the srt file...

00:00:02,352 --> 00:00:06,755
After the conquest and plundering
ofthe Inca empire by Spain...

00:00:06,740 --> 00:00:10,198
...the Indians invented the
legend of EI Dorado...

00:00:10,310 --> 00:00:14,713
...a land of gold, located in the
swamps of the Amazon headwaters.

00:00:16,487 --> 00:00:21,390
A large expedition of Spanish
adventurers, led by Gonzalo Pizarro...
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I tried one and it's working on my end. Apache server Windows XP SP3. The subtitles are not in sync with the video, but that's not Roksbox's fault.
Roku Express 3900RW software v8.10
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Is the format of my srt's correct? I wonder if it is because I use composite... hmmm... not a huge deal losing that one or two movies - but I would like to know why, at least...
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Hi,

Is anyone using MCEBuddy version 2.1 with Roksbox? I've been using version 1.1 for some time to convert TV shows I've recorded with the Windows Media Center. MCEBuddy converts the file to an .mp4, removes the commercials and puts the new file at a specified location. You can also tell it to store the new file by show, so each series you record gets its own subfolder. I have a 'Videos\TV\Recorded\' file structure set up for Roksbox, so once a show has been converted, it's available to any of my Rokus commercial free (kind of like a whole-house DVR).

I recently rebuilt my media server, and I put the new 2.1 version on it. I'm not sure what all 2.x offers over 1.x, but one thing I noticed right away is that it now creates a season subfolder and gets the actual name of the episode. So I end up with things like 'Videos\TV\Recorded\Fringe\Season 04\Nothing as It Seems.mp4'. Version 1.1 doesn't do the subfolder for seasons, and it gives the file itself a generic name such as 'Fringe_KPTM_03-30-12_09-00'.

The problem is Roksbox won't play the .mp4 files created by version 2.1. It either goes to a black screen after loading the file, or it shows a still frame from the video while the audio plays. Has anyone been able to successfully use MCEBuddy 2.x with Roksbox, and if so, what options (recording quality, etc.) are you using?

Thanks for the help!
0 Kudos