Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

I am interested in using a Roku as a low-power, low-cost LAN streaming device (just audio at first but maybe video some time in the future) so using something like Roksbox would be vital for me. According to the FAQs at roksbox.com, only .mp3 and .wma are supported for audio files. Why are aac audio files not supported? Roku's website says that the XS supports playback of aac audio files on the USB channel so why can't roksbox support aac audio files?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

"ryguyrocks" wrote:
"philsoft" wrote:
"ryguyrocks" wrote:
I can't get any subtitles to appear using a .srt file. For my DVDs I just burned in all the forced subtitles using Handbrake but it does not support blu ray subtitles. I extracted them and converted them to a .srt file, but they won't show up. I'm using a IIS server and went in and added .srt in the MIME Types. I even tried downloading a .srt file using thumbgen but those did not work either. Is there something I'm missing?

You are naming them exactly the same as the video file name?

I just went back and tried adding a .srt file to one of my DVD rips and those showed up fine. So it's only on the blu ray rip that I can't get the subtitles to show up? Could it have something to do with the encoding? The video(1080p) plays fine its just the subtitles that I can't get to work on it.

WilDD will need to answer that one. I am not sure if there is a subtitle limitation on 1080p video or not.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

"HarryDymond" wrote:
so why can't roksbox support aac audio files?

I am pretty sure it will play AAC audio, I haven't tried it, but I doubt WilDD would have disabled AAC in the App.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

"bomdasystm" wrote:
I succesfully played videos on roku through the roksbox channel yesterday by following the tutorial. I tried today and it cant find my server. I tried my ip address in a browser and it works.

Can you try unplugging the Roku for 10 seconds and then plugging it back in?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"philsoft" wrote:
"HarryDymond" wrote:
so why can't roksbox support aac audio files?

I am pretty sure it will play AAC audio, I haven't tried it, but I doubt WilDD would have disabled AAC in the App.

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the roksbox website states in multiple places that the only supported audio files are mp3 and wma. Unless someone here can confirm that they can play aac audio files (cbr, abr, and vbr) I must assume that it is not possible.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but it seems to be the best place I can find...

My roksbox setup runs much smoother with fugal mode on than it does with it off but I was unhappy with all the available means of creating individual XML files. That is why I wrote a quick Windows Powershell script that creates an XML file for each title in your Personal Video Database using the single large XML file that is exported from it.

As of now the script doesn't have any options or any user interface whatsoever so some things have to remain constant:

1. The large XML file created by Personal Video Database must be named "Videos.xml"
    2. The script file must be in the same folder as Videos.xml
    *Note: It may be necessary to setup Personal Video Database the way Roksbox recommends, I did it when I first setup Roksbox and left the changes as they were. Instructions are here: http://roksbox.com/home/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=59&Itemid=58

Then just run it from there, either from the command line or right-click -> Run with Powershell. An xml file will be created for each title.

Let me know if you guys like it! (or if it doesn't work and I suck at scripting Smiley Tongue )

Link: http://bit.ly/xIBZbi
Zip Link: http://bit.ly/A9yoAs
Link to Powershell install for XP users: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=7217
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"HarryDymond" wrote:
Roku's website says that the XS supports playback of aac audio files on the USB channel so why can't roksbox support aac audio files?

I can confirm that Roksbox does play .m4a files with the AAC codec. I had never tried it before until now, so I copied a music file from my iTunes Music folder into my Roksbox music folder. Here's the Media Info:

Complete name : C:\Documents and Settings\owner\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\Glenn Miller Orchestra\In The Digital Mood\01 In The Mood.m4a
Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : Apple audio with iTunes info
Codec ID : M4A
File size : 3.41 MiB
Duration : 3mn 39s
Overall bit rate : 130 Kbps
Album : In The Digital Mood
Part/Position : 1
Part/Total : 1
Track name : In The Mood
Track name/Position : 1
Track name/Total : 10
Performer : Glenn Miller Orchestra
Composer : Andy Razaf/Joe Garland
Genre : Jazz
Recorded date : 1983
Encoded date : UTC 2006-05-26 15:46:46
Tagged date : UTC 2006-05-26 15:47:15
Writing application : iTunes v6.0.4.2, QuickTime 7.1

Audio
ID : 1
Format : AAC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile : LC
Codec ID : 40
Duration : 3mn 39s
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 128 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : Front: L R
Sampling rate : 44.1 KHz
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 3.36 MiB (99%)
Encoded date : UTC 2006-05-26 15:46:46
Tagged date : UTC 2006-05-26 15:47:15

Roksbox played the file without a problem. Now if your files have DRM I doubt they will play. My Roku is not the same model as the one you mention, but that shouldn't matter. Also, I tried a .m4a file with ALAC and it didn't play (unsupported codec).

On the Roksbox website that supported file info is a little outdated, I think. If you check out the documentation in the Roku SDK, there's virtually nothing about what audio files are supported. They are more interested in video streaming.

Edit: WilDD, the developer of Roksbox confirmed AAC .m4a support in this post.
Roku Express 3900RW software v8.10
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"hozedhead" wrote:
"HarryDymond" wrote:
Roku's website says that the XS supports playback of aac audio files on the USB channel so why can't roksbox support aac audio files?

I can confirm that Roksbox does play .m4a files with the AAC codec.

Hi hozedhead, thank you for your reply; much appreciated and gives me food for thought!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

i have Mac Lion OS. I follow instructions to set up the web site. If it click on the website link in preferences, it takes me to a page that says "your website" for my personal website , or to a page that says "it works" when i go to the computers website.

But i can't see any content on either page. I created a directory on Macintosh/Library/webserver/media and put 3 subdirectories (music, video,pictures).

But i can not see them from the website. And when i try to go to roxshare channel set up and set up channel of http://10.0.1.8/media the roku comes back unable to access, path or file not found

What am i doing wrong?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

If it is the apache webserver for your Mac (and I think it is), you have to modify your httpd.conf file as instructed on the roksbox website. When you go to that /media directory, it should look like a plain old file directory... once you have it like that, you are good to go..

I am on linux, so we are cousins, but I can't tell you exactly how to fix, unfortunately...
0 Kudos