Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

"krisbee" wrote:
As for your computer name, I don't know but it certainly won't take but two seconds to find out if it works. Also, you can test on a laptop and see if it resolves (assuming you didn't fiddle with the hostnames/DNS files to tell it what to resolve that computer name to).

It appears to be windows firewall issue. Once I took down the firewall i was able to hit that address with my the browser on my iPod Touch. I fooling around with windows firewall because it never ever does what I want it to do. I sooooooo wish this was linux! Smiley Sad
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

fairly new to Roku and definitely new to roksbox. i love the idea and it works perfectly for pictures and music. regarding video files though, i'm having issues with playing large mkv files. i've encoded the same video into a m4v format, which works great as well, but i'm wondering if there are ways around this, since most of my videos are mkv? i guess what i'm asking is whether there's a way to avoid the 1 hour encoding that needs to be done to convert the file formats.

also, while this may not be the proper thread to ask this question, there are many other streaming solutions, but it seems roksbox is the only free one. are the paid solutions any better?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"jynlude" wrote:
fairly new to Roku and definitely new to roksbox. i love the idea and it works perfectly for pictures and music. regarding video files though, i'm having issues with playing large mkv files. i've encoded the same video into a m4v format, which works great as well, but i'm wondering if there are ways around this, since most of my videos are mkv? i guess what i'm asking is whether there's a way to avoid the 1 hour encoding that needs to be done to convert the file formats.

also, while this may not be the proper thread to ask this question, there are many other streaming solutions, but it seems roksbox is the only free one. are the paid solutions any better?

I trust you're using Handbrake to do the encoding? If you are you're in luck! You can queue files to be encoded and then wind it up and watch it go! Although I wouldn't watch it, I'd go to bed instead! You'd be surprised what eight hours of encoding can do!

Encoding takes time .. there is no 'quick' encoding method. You're governed by the hardware mostly. Disk can only go so fast, processor can only do so much and you always wait on the disk. Hard drives really hold computers back. Hopefully the solid state drives breaking on to the scene will speed things up!

Good luck!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"MrBiggz" wrote:
"jynlude" wrote:

I trust you're using Handbrake to do the encoding? If you are you're in luck! You can queue files to be encoded and then wind it up and watch it go! Although I wouldn't watch it, I'd go to bed instead! You'd be surprised what eight hours of encoding can do!

Encoding takes time .. there is no 'quick' encoding method. You're governed by the hardware mostly. Disk can only go so fast, processor can only do so much and you always wait on the disk. Hard drives really hold computers back. Hopefully the solid state drives breaking on to the scene will speed things up!

Good luck!

Yes, using handbrake. I guess I didn't know of the queuing function and can definitely let it run all day, which isn't a problem...just looking for any possible alternative Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Well, what codecs are the mkv files? If it is the appropriate h264, encoding should take minutes - basically you just need to repackage into an mp4 container... copying the video and possibly copying the audio or at the worst, transcoding that...
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"philsoft" wrote:

Have you unplugged the box and let it reboot? That might clear out the listing.

Of course! (See my original post - power cycled it using plug) Smiley Happy
Additionally, I've restarted it twice now.
Even tried 'readding' the channel to see if it would go in my invoices list. (Private channels show there, just not Roksbox)
Though owners.roku.com says 'successful' when adding...never appears in my list.
Contacted Roku support chat...they of course said try that I'd already tried here, then reset to factory.
I keep hoping I'll find a way, for now, leaving the channel in my listing.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Troubles connecting to local box

"bobland" wrote:
I have the LT version and it works as a normal box. I even added a few private channels. However, I still facing error 404.3.

I can see my content in the browser using localhost. When I add localhost/roku I see the roku files. When I append the roku.php it all goes south. I'm running latest version of wamp and IIS. It doesn't seem to matter if I boot wamp or not. I still get the error. When I boot up wamp, I get the orange alert not green. I'm unable to get the roksbox screen.

Help is greatly appreciated!!
Thanks,
Burt

Can you see your files using the ip address of your web server (ex. http://192.168.1.100 or whatever your ip address is)? If so, will this work from another computer on your network?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"MrBiggz" wrote:
Hi!

I have three questions that hopefully somebody can help me with.

Q: I run multiple virtual servers in apache for testing websites and such. Even though the local server name is mediaserver and if I hit 127.0.0.1 or 192.168.1.102 (Locak IP that is on) I get the list of all the folders of were those other websites are. If I hit 192.168.1.102/mediaserver obviously I get that. So when setting up the Roksbok on the Roku device is it legal to say for the webserver configuration 192.168.1.102/mediaserver ??

Yes, you can specify that as the web server address in Roksbox.

Q: I can use an alias within Apache to see my photos and music. I was going to do this with the movies as well since most if not all my movies that I have digitized are normally used on my iPod. I would be awesome if I didn't have to maintain a second set.

Aliases should work fine with Roksbox. Anything you can "see" from a web browser, you should be able to see from Roksbox, as long as the files are in a format supported by Roku.

Q: Do I need to convert my music from apples format to MP3? God, I hope not else I'm just going to use this to serve up video.

If you mean iTunes format, then no, you shouldn't need to convert them. Roksbox will play iTunes .m4a files. You can either use an alias or sym link to your iTunes directory, or copy your iTunes files to somewhere below your web server root. I use a NAS with RAID, so I copy my iTunes files to my NAS and the play them with no conversion. If you have a Folder.jpg file, copy that also.

Sorry for the multi-part questions! I really hope somebody can answer them for me I'm really kinda stoked about getting this going!

Oh .. and does anybody know of any NAS drive that are able to work with Roksbox that are within the reachable financially? I saw some that would run a webserver and they all went for $200-300+ which is a bit out of my league! I have this old NAS here it was a 320Gb and I got it for $99 back five years ago. To bad it doesn't allow a webserver to be run on it! =(

The Western Digital My Book World 1 TB NAS can be found for approx. $160 new, and less than $100 used (like new).

Thanks so much in advance for any help/tips/info!!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"jynlude" wrote:
there are many other streaming solutions, but it seems roksbox is the only free one. are the paid solutions any better?

Roksbox is not free.
Roku Express 3900RW software v8.10
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"WilDD" wrote:
If you mean iTunes format, then no, you shouldn't need to convert them. Roksbox will play iTunes .m4a files. You can either use an alias or sym link to your iTunes directory, or copy your iTunes files to somewhere below your web server root. I use a NAS with RAID, so I copy my iTunes files to my NAS and the play them with no conversion. If you have a Folder.jpg file, copy that also.

That's cool! .m4p files are good too I hope? And yes I have a folder.jpg files for almost each song!

The Western Digital My Book World 1 TB NAS can be found for approx. $160 new, and less than $100 used (like new).[/quote/

I did some digging and found the one you stated from the above .. that'll work! But check this one out ...
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1262784&CatId=30 NOTE! -> Amazon has this for $87
ZyXEL NSA210 Media Server - 1x 3.5" Bay, Network Storage Server, No OS. From what I was reading you put your own OS on it! Be windows or linux. I'd go with linux for obvious reasons! First being stability and the second being cost overhead! I have to do some more reading on how you get the OS on the NAS. I'm assuming by the USB port. Probably have to either dump the installation cd/dvd on a flash drive or perhaps it's smart enough to read the image file. Don't know at this point. And of course you'd have to through in your own HDD. So it's still looking to be about $240. But in my humble opinion this option leaves you with a lot of room for options! Especially for what the NAS can be used for!

Thanks for all the great help here! Good friendly group!
0 Kudos