Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WilDD
Level 7

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

New theme available - Thanksgiving - with version 1.24.2.

See http://roksbox.com/home/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=125.
0 Kudos
ryguyrocks
Level 7

"wdbames" wrote:
If You Need to Backup Blu-Rays You own to Your server:
Try: http://www.makemkv.com

MakeMKV is available for PC, OSX and Linux. It will back up Your Blu-Ray to an MKV
file which You can then process through Handbrake into a Roku-compatible MP4.

wdbames

Thanks, MakeMkv did the trick!
0 Kudos
aeroengy
Level 7

Hello all. This is my first post here. I just purchased the Roku 2 XS and would like to setup Roksbox to stream (lots of mp4s in h264) from my Buffalo Link Station Pro (LS-XHL). The LinkStation has added a web server to its firmware in one of its previous updates. This seems ideal since I wont have to have my PC on for the Roksbox to see the we bserver.

Now I am a complete n00b when it comes to anything web server related. However, per what little documentation I could find it says it supports PHP and MySQL but I have no idea how to configure it to do anything. I enabled the web server (port 81) which created a folder on the NAS with the directories (cgi-bin, htdocs, and log). The htdocs directory contains a file called index.php which only contains this command
<? phpinfo() ?>
. When I go to the website IPADDRESS:81 I just get a listing of a ton of PHP setting information.

PHP Version 5.2.10-pl0-gentoo
System Linux LS-XHLE28 2.6.31.8 #2 Fri Aug 5 14:28:08 JST 2011 armv5tel
Build Date Aug 7 2009 12:32:02
.... lots of stuff...
Configuration
Directive Local Value Master Value
allow_call_time_pass_reference On On
allow_url_fopen Off Off
allow_url_include Off Off
.... lots more stuff...

Will this work with Roksbox? How do I enable directory list? Is it already on somehow? How do I tell? Why am I such a n00b?

Thanks for any help.

Edit: Via the Linkstation's web configuration I can edit or replace the php.ini file ... which seems important Smiley Very Happy
0 Kudos
krisbee
Level 7

I am not much of a web guru, but yes it will work. You will be bypassing the .php index though. You will have to set up some folders and make sure that when you navigate to it, you get a plain directory listing. There should be no index.html or index.php in those folders. At that point, you should be able to point roksbox to those folders and have it work. Port 81 is not standard, so when you define your ip address in roksbox, make sure it is IPADDRESS:81 (subbing whatever your real ip number is, of course).

You won't need php or mysql, so it should be ok, however your drive might generate its' own index.php file every time you create/update a directory, which might cause a problem.

Give it a try and see what happens.

I am trying to link to a google image on what a directory listing looks like for your reference. It may or may not work:
http://www.google.com/imgres?q=apache+directory+listing&um=1&hl=en&safe=active&sa=N&rls=com.microsof...
0 Kudos
aeroengy
Level 7

"krisbee" wrote:
I am not much of a web guru, but yes it will work. ...[/url]

Thanks for the reply. I made some sample directories with random text files in them under the htdocs folder where the index.php file was and in the main web server directory. I renamed the index.php file to see what would happen if it wasn't present and I just got a 404 not found message and no index listing like in your image.

I am guessing there is some setting I have to enable to turn on directory listing ... but I don't know how to do that.

EDIT:

I found some PHP script examples that will create a directory listing. See this link: http://www.the-art-of-web.com/php/dirlist/

However, I don't know if it would be compatible with Roksbox ... ???
0 Kudos
sharpedge
Level 7

"aeroengy" wrote:
"krisbee" wrote:
I am guessing there is some setting I have to enable to turn on directory listing ... but I don't know how to do that.

EDIT:

I found some PHP script examples that will create a directory listing. See this link: http://www.the-art-of-web.com/php/dirlist/

However, I don't know if it would be compatible with Roksbox ... ???

I think you're right about needing to enable directory listing, but that link is not what you need. On Apache webservers you create a .htaccess file to enable directory listing, the only text in the file would be 'Options +Indexes' (without the quotes). There's info in the below thread on creating a .htaccess file and creating symbolic links (which you'll probably need later):

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=30676
0 Kudos
atheling
Level 7

"sharpedge" wrote:
I think you're right about needing to enable directory listing, but that link is not what you need. On Apache webservers you create a .htaccess file to enable directory listing, the only text in the file would be 'Options +Indexes' (without the quotes). There's info in the below thread on creating a .htaccess file and creating symbolic links (which you'll probably need later):

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=30676

There are also some settings in the .conf file(s) for Apache that control if the .htaccess file can override defaults, etc. Been a while since I've had to delve into that, but if you are using Apache and the .htaccess file itself doesn't fix your problem then that would be the next place to look. At least testing is easy, just point a web browser at the server and see if it shows you a directory listing.
0 Kudos
krisbee
Level 7

From what I can tell on this particular piece of equipment, all of the normal config files, or even guts of the system are hidden and the user doesn't have access, unless telnetting in, and perhaps only after a jailbreaking like scenario.

However, there is a config program that comes with the device, and hopefully a setting might be hidden in there somewhere. I even tried to download the instruction manual to help, but it didn't really delve into those settings on what they have up at the mfgs website, since this was an added feature to an existing product, I believe.

I would search in the config program, and if no success, then try adding the simple .htaccess file as suggested above and see what happens.

At the worst of it, you will just have to setup a webserver on your computer and just use that and have your drive work as a network share, especially if you can't hack the drive to do what you want. It would be nice not to leave the computer on, but sometimes it is the only solution. You can always apply power saving techniques to suspend after you go to bed, etc...
0 Kudos
aeroengy
Level 7

"krisbee" wrote:
From what I can tell on this particular piece of equipment, all of the normal config files, or even guts of the system are hidden and the user doesn't have access, unless telnetting in, and perhaps only after a jailbreaking like scenario.

However, there is a config program that comes with the device, and hopefully a setting might be hidden in there somewhere. I even tried to download the instruction manual to help, but it didn't really delve into those settings on what they have up at the mfgs website, since this was an added feature to an existing product, I believe.

I would search in the config program, and if no success, then try adding the simple .htaccess file as suggested above and see what happens.

At the worst of it, you will just have to setup a webserver on your computer and just use that and have your drive work as a network share, especially if you can't hack the drive to do what you want. It would be nice not to leave the computer on, but sometimes it is the only solution. You can always apply power saving techniques to suspend after you go to bed, etc...

I was about to post the above. All of the Apache configuration files (.conf, etc) are not visible (without some hacking). I will try to add the .htaccess file as suggested tonight and report back.

I did use the PHP script I linked above to display the hidden root directory. I found a directory /etc/apache/ that contained the httpd.conf file. I then used a different PHP script to display its contents. Unfortunately the script didn't handle the line feeds correctly so it was really hard to look at. However, I am not entirely sure if this is the correct file to modify (if I aquire telnet access) since this seems like it could be the configuration file for the built in web based NAS interface. Can the same Apache httpd.conf be setup to run 2 different web servers (NAS GUI and User web server) or is it likely that something else is running the additional web server?

Also regarding your reference to a config program, I am not sure what that is. I will read the manual again but I don't remember a config program. In the web server settings menu on the NAS the only options is to modify or replace the PHP.ini script which does have a bunch of settings that I don't understand.

I will keep messing with it and reporting here so that maybe this will help someone in the future.
0 Kudos
krisbee
Level 7

There is a windows downloadable file that will configure your unit through a program.

The httpd.conf is the file where you can make changes and we should be able to help with that, however, I would do that as the next step if the .htaccess file doesn't work.

You probably don't need telnet access to edit httpd.conf, but you would need to be able to log in through your windows share of that drive and get access to the /etc directory that way. Then we could tell you the commands to append to the file to make a subdirectory where you will put your roksbox root folder (and subsquent subfolders) show the indexes. Its only three lines. But you will need to access that /etc directory from your windows or mac machine.
0 Kudos