Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RockyFord
Level 7

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

"farrelan" wrote:
"wdbames" wrote:

I use handbrake, which has the option to encode 6-channel audio into 2 using Pro Logic encoding. Then My Pro logic receiver decodes and plays the original 6-channel sound (at a somewhat reduced quality.)
This approach is not ideal, but it does work.

Yes i used handbreak to re-encode 1 movie just to run tests on. I purchased the XD|S because of the fact that it has hdmi and optical sound out. You would think that something with this kind of hardware would be able to support more than 2 channel sound. Im kinda at a wall here. I have mover 4TD of movies all encoded 720 or 1080 with 6ch audio and none play. To re-encode these would take months and at the same time loose my surround sound. Why even have the option to change the settings to Dolby Sound if you cant stream a movie with Dolby Sound to it.

I tried to turn debug on but got no output. No idea where its stopping at. Just sits there about half way through the loading. Is there no one that uses Roku stream or has tried to stream 6ch audio movies? Hard for me to believe I am the first and only one to have this problem.

Farrelan you may want check the encoding on your videos to see if the 6channel videos are in AC3, (basically naked DTS). When encoding in handbrake I routinely include 2 audio tracks. The first one is 2 channel pro logic 2 (to play on those devices that don't have DTS decoders) and the second track is AC3 pass-thru (no processing of the audio, handbrake just includes whatever AC3 channels that are prsent in the source material).

Using 2 audio tracks has been working very well since the last big Roku update.

As far as I remember Roku only supports AC3 passthru, AAC and WMA9 audio. (although I've never heard of an amatuer using the WM formats for audio or video)
and AC3 still requires a decoder for play back, the Roku doesn't decode the AC3 streams.

As far as the hung load for the movies, it seems the some sources have a blank audio track for the first 2 to 5 secs usually when the first studio splash screen is displayed. I've had to trim a few movies to get them to work. Try and FFwd in small bursts and the see if the movie will work after you get past the dead spot. (worked for me)

Good luck
0 Kudos
WilDD
Level 7

"JSW" wrote:
Hi,

Is there anyway, using only the video directory structure, to hide certain folders based on the selected user account? For instance, I'd like to be able to setup a user account that only sees G (and maybe PG) rated movies on the Roku in our guest room, so that we don't have "issues" when we have guests with children.

I know I can accomplish this by switching to XML files, but it's easier to maintain my collection using the directory structure. I know I could also accomplish it by putting these movies at a deeper folder level and pointing the user to that level, but that messes up my other user accounts that should see the entire collection.

If this is currently not an option, I'd like to add it to the wish list. Perhaps a way to create a small text file in the root directory (probably named the same as the user account), which would let us list folders to ignore, maybe by just the folder path with a minus sign in front? To really expand on that, maybe a way to ignore individual movies or perhaps entire movie ratings, such as -R to ignore R rated movies? I realize the last part would require XML files of some type to set the movies rating. I use a similar feature in a TOC (table of contents) maker I use for my old AudioTron. It has an optional text file in which I can tell it to ignore folders (genres) such as Audio Books, which are stored in the same directories but which I don't play through my music server.

Thanks again for all your great work!

I'll add this the the feature request list.
0 Kudos
mmueller
Level 7

I have two boxes running Roksbox and I'm having a problem getting any video's to play.

I have the 'Poster' option enabled and when I click 'Play' when the focus is on the movie poster, the 'Roksbox' logo appears and states "Loading" and then I'm returned back to the menu. This occurs with both of my devices.

I do have Frugal mode enabled. If I disable Frugal, I can't even get to the Video Listing. When I select "My Videos", the logo appears and states "Parsing directory" and then I'm returned to the menu. My video collection contains 140 folders.

I've searched the forum and checked the FAQ's on the website and I don't see any mention of this issue.

TIA. Matt.
0 Kudos
haggie
Level 7

"WilDD" wrote:
"haggie" wrote:
"WilDD" wrote:
Do you get the folder image, or does it say "Image not available"?

Neither. I get a grey image with a circle of dots in the middle for both the subcategory and the video itself. I've never seen a folder image before, but I have seen the "Image not available" image on instances where I had a poster path in the XML file but no image for it on the server yet.

One thought that comes to mind is that my literal path from the root is: Qweb->Videos. The web server path is http://10.0.1.5/Videos/. Could it be looking for a "Videos" directory on the root of the NAS rather than under "Qweb"?

I've been trying to duplicate your problem, and one way I can duplicate it is if my poster files are named Poster.jpg instead of poster.jpg (uppercase P). Check your poster.jpg files, and make sure they are all lowercase.

My poster files are indeed named in lowercase. I've tried everything I can think of. I've even tested the poster images by changing my XML file to point to one of the poster images as though it were the cover art to a single movie file in order to make sure that the files really would show up in the Roku (they did). My images directory is lower case. I've tried placing it at the web root and under the Videos directory. My category directories are under the images directory and are named the exact same way as they are in the XML file minus the square brackets. No luck.
0 Kudos
haggie
Level 7

By the way, I love the new sorting by XML order. I'm also wanting to try out the XML files for subcategories. Is there a sample XML file somewhere?
0 Kudos
nakedbaby
Level 7

"haggie" wrote:
Is there a sample XML file somewhere?

Copy and paste the sample text from this page to get you started:
http://roksbox.com/home/index.php?optio ... &Itemid=62
0 Kudos
haggie
Level 7

"nakedbaby" wrote:
"haggie" wrote:
Is there a sample XML file somewhere?

Copy and paste the sample text from this page to get you started:
http://roksbox.com/home/index.php?optio ... &Itemid=62

I actually tried that though I was a bit confused as to how any of these fields would apply to subcategories other than Description or Poster. I was actually hoping the Poster field would help me out with the problem I'm experiencing getting subcategory images to show up. I started with those two fields and saw no change in my subcategories in Roksbox. I then tried filling out all those fields with test data and again got no change. Since this file also exists in the same location as the subcategory images, it would seem that my issue (in both cases) must have to do with the system not being able to find my files rather than with the files themselves.
0 Kudos
WilDD
Level 7

"mmueller" wrote:
I have two boxes running Roksbox and I'm having a problem getting any video's to play.

I have the 'Poster' option enabled and when I click 'Play' when the focus is on the movie poster, the 'Roksbox' logo appears and states "Loading" and then I'm returned back to the menu. This occurs with both of my devices.

I do have Frugal mode enabled. If I disable Frugal, I can't even get to the Video Listing. When I select "My Videos", the logo appears and states "Parsing directory" and then I'm returned to the menu. My video collection contains 140 folders.

I've searched the forum and checked the FAQ's on the website and I don't see any mention of this issue.

TIA. Matt.

Oops. Pick up V1.23.2 (enter and exit the channel store if you don't already have it) to fix that problem. In case you're not aware, pressing Play at that level will play all videos at that level, and pressing OK will play just the focused video.
0 Kudos
nakedbaby
Level 7

"haggie" wrote:
I actually tried that though I was a bit confused as to how any of these fields would apply to subcategories other than Description or Poster. I was actually hoping the Poster field would help me out with the problem I'm experiencing getting subcategory images to show up. I started with those two fields and saw no change in my subcategories in Roksbox. I then tried filling out all those fields with test data and again got no change. Since this file also exists in the same location as the subcategory images, it would seem that my issue (in both cases) must have to do with the system not being able to find my files rather than with the files themselves.

To get XML to work you have to put the XML file at the top level of your video directory (whatever you put into the Roksbox as the "Web Server" address/folder to your video files), and you have to tell Roksbox what the name of your xml file is. ("video.xml" is traditional) in the Web Server > Video XML Name setting.

Your XML must have at the very least three fields in it: Path, Origtitle, Genre. The Pathname must be the complete web URL to your video file starting with the IP address/folder you entered in your Roksbox "Web Server" setting. To get Poster images to work, you can put the images anywhere in your web server path structure, just put in the path to the poster image, again starting with the web URL you entered in the "Web Server" settings you set up in Roksbox. (With XML the images don't have to be in a special "images" folder that matches your sub-directory structure.)

You can write the XML yourself in any text editor (TextEdit on MacOS, or Notebook on Windows). Just start with the <xml> <viddb> and <movie> tags and then fill in the three required fields <origtitle> <path> and <genre> (you don't have to enter any other tags) end with </movie> and then close the text document with </viddb> and </xml>

You can quite literally copy and paste the example XML (from the link above) into a blank text document, save the text file as "video.xml" then drop the file into your root video web folder and it will work. (Obviously if you don't have a movie at example path it wont play but everything else will work - file navigation, actors, description, etc.) You must make sure the extension is "xml" and that your computer isn't putting an extension on after your title (e.g. video.xml.txt). Both Windows and Macintosh will try to be helpful and do this, as well as hide the extension so you don't know they did it (Grrrrrrrr). Also the text file must be "Plain Text" not RTF or a DOC formatted file.

I recommend before you attempt to generate an XML for your actual film library, get the example XML to show up in your Roksbox, then you can start to make changes to match your actual films and see them.
0 Kudos
haggie
Level 7

"nakedbaby" wrote:
I recommend before you attempt to generate an XML for your actual film library, get the example XML to show up in your Roksbox, then you can start to make changes to match your actual films and see them.

Thanks for the detailed write-up, nakedbaby, but you misunderstand. I already have an XML file for my videos (like you, I've already taken advantage of the new "sort by XML order" enhancement--awesome!), it's the XML file for the subcategories (enhancement #2 in the latest release) that I'm wondering about. Those files must be named poster.xml and placed in the images directory. I'm wondering what XML elements those files will take (seems like only Description to me...). I tried putting one in as a test and it didn't change anything leading me to believe that it isn't being found by Roksbox (which would help explain the trouble I'm having getting Roksbox to find subcategory images since they are in the same location).

Have you applied an XML file to a subcategory yet and, if so, what XML elements did you use?
0 Kudos