Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

.

.

0 Kudos
WilDD
Level 7

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

"jrcnelson" wrote:
"Drachen808" wrote:
Well I hope someone can help me with this. I went through the instructions at http://roksbox.wikispaces.com/MyBookWorld to install apache on my wd mybook world. I followed it step by step and then I installed the channel. Then I set the web server under the channels settings to "192.168.1.91:8000". As soon as I am done with this I go to the videos icon, and all it does is say "checking for xml file", "xml file not found", "checking for youtube queue" then goes back to the main page. similar for music, and for photos.

To be quite honest (and I am sure yall figured it out), I am less than a novice on using linux. I followed the directions, step by step, but without knowing exactly what I was doing, so this makes it a little hard to troubleshoot. I would love to become an expert at this, but I currently have a lot on my plate. I would really appreciate some help from this community on what could possibly be the problem.

Thank you very much in advance.

PS I type that aforementioned IP address into a browser and it says that it is not found.

PPS is there literally supposed to be a folder that I can see on my NAS called WWW?? If that is the case, then it is not.


I am having this same problem -has anyone been able to solve this issue?

If I type into a web browser the IP address to my WD MyBookWorld (192.168.178.8:8000) I get a webpage that says "It Works!"

BUT
I don't have the Shares\Public\WWW\WWW-pub directory - Do I have to manually create these?

One of the last lines in the instructions I followed states "You should also have yourdriveletter:\WWW\WWW-pub. This is the root directory of your web server, and is where your media files should go."

BUT
I am fairly competent but can't seem to understand this instruction.
I can't seem to find this mysterious directory or create it. (I actually can through WinSCP, but doesn't appear to do anything for me)

any and all help would be most appreciated,

-Jeff


I've revised the instructions at http://roksbox.com/home/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=73. Hopefully this works better.
0 Kudos
WilDD
Level 7

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

"thom202" wrote:
Can anyone tell me what needs to be done to a Synology Diskstation to get it to work with roksbox?

I am running out of time and for the life of me I cannot see how to enable the diskstation to share files on a simple website or how to enter in roksbox the access credentials for the webpage (if this is even possible).

I saw some earlier comments on this but it was limited to the steps after getting the website up and running.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.


I know there are others who have this working with Synology, but I don't have the instructions for setting up the web server on Synology. If you can get the web server going, I can help you with the Roksbox part.
0 Kudos
mannyramirezls
Level 7

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

Hello everyone, I am wondering if Roksbox will work a Linksys E3000 and a USB drive connected directly. I currently have it working on Windows 7 machine but am upgrading to Wireless N and Gigigabit.

** Built-in UPnP AV Media Server **

** USB port for centralized file sharing with built-in UPnP AV media server**

Here is a link to the Linksys E3000

http://homestore.cisco.com/en-us/Router ... ewprod.htm


Thanks!
0 Kudos
WilDD
Level 7

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

"mannyramirezls" wrote:
Hello everyone, I am wondering if Roksbox will work a Linksys E3000 and a USB drive connected directly. I currently have it working on Windows 7 machine but am upgrading to Wireless N and Gigigabit.

** Built-in UPnP AV Media Server **

** USB port for centralized file sharing with built-in UPnP AV media server**

Here is a link to the Linksys E3000

http://homestore.cisco.com/en-us/Router ... ewprod.htm


Thanks!


You should still be able to use your Win 7 setup, but if you're wanting to use the Linksys E3000 as a NAS, I'm not sure. Roku doesn't support UPnP, so that part won't do any good. If the E3000 has a web server that can access the USB port, then it will probably work with Roksbox. You would just set up the web server on the E3000, then give Roksbox the setup information similar to the way you did it with Win 7. For testing purposes, you can leave your current configuration alone in Roksbox, and create a new profile for the E3000. That way you don't mess up your current setup.
0 Kudos
mannyramirezls
Level 7

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

Thanks for the reply WilDD. I wanted to eliminate my Windows 7 machine from being on all the time and just using the Linksys E3000 and the local USB drive. I will have to research to see if has a web browser. I don't want to use a Western Digital My Book World Edition NAS because I have had bad experiences and I think they are kind of slow. Do you know of another NAS device that I can use? I have tried searching the forum for suggestions but no luck.
0 Kudos
cmiller74
Level 7

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

"RockyFord" wrote:
"PwrOverwhelming" wrote:
Not sure if this is the place, but has anyone had any luck getting Roksbox to handle 1080p encodes?

Near as I can tell, I'm following the guide from roksbox.com..

MP4
Strict Anamorphic with Keep Aspect Ratio
Video filters, Decomb is set to default
Video Framerate is 29.97, 2 pass turbo. Target size is manually set to 60% of source, which usually ends up being between 10g and 20g.

The encode goes great, and viewing on my PC through VLC works fine -- but when I try to view through the Roku (I have one of the Netgear models) with Roksbox, the playback has white lines originating from various points in the scene (headed right), and then starts rebuffering/reloading after a minute (Which I was under the impression a absolute framerate of 29.97 was to fix)

Does anyone have any suggestions ?

Thanks


You may want to check your average bitrate. I bet it's way above 10000kbps you might be overloading the buffer.


Ok, I'm having this same issue (white lines in the video) after converting a mkv file to mp4 and I can't for the life of me figure out why. VLC is telling me the average bitrate is around 3500-4000kbps. I did the encoding using DVDFab instead of Handbrake, mainly because it's CUDA enabled so it's much faster. Haven't tried it in Handbrake yet...I'm skeptical that it would work any better.

Any ideas?

Thanks
0 Kudos
WilDD
Level 7

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

"mannyramirezls" wrote:
Thanks for the reply WilDD. I wanted to eliminate my Windows 7 machine from being on all the time and just using the Linksys E3000 and the local USB drive. I will have to research to see if has a web browser. I don't want to use a Western Digital My Book World Edition NAS because I have had bad experiences and I think they are kind of slow. Do you know of another NAS device that I can use? I have tried searching the forum for suggestions but no luck.


I recently helped someone with a Netgear ReadyNAS Duo. I don't have one myself, but the user said that it was pretty easy to setup with Roksbox. The ReadyNAS comes with Apache built in. You just have to activate it.
0 Kudos
WilDD
Level 7

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

"cmiller74" wrote:
"RockyFord" wrote:
"PwrOverwhelming" wrote:
Not sure if this is the place, but has anyone had any luck getting Roksbox to handle 1080p encodes?

Near as I can tell, I'm following the guide from roksbox.com..

MP4
Strict Anamorphic with Keep Aspect Ratio
Video filters, Decomb is set to default
Video Framerate is 29.97, 2 pass turbo. Target size is manually set to 60% of source, which usually ends up being between 10g and 20g.

The encode goes great, and viewing on my PC through VLC works fine -- but when I try to view through the Roku (I have one of the Netgear models) with Roksbox, the playback has white lines originating from various points in the scene (headed right), and then starts rebuffering/reloading after a minute (Which I was under the impression a absolute framerate of 29.97 was to fix)

Does anyone have any suggestions ?

Thanks


You may want to check your average bitrate. I bet it's way above 10000kbps you might be overloading the buffer.


Ok, I'm having this same issue (white lines in the video) after converting a mkv file to mp4 and I can't for the life of me figure out why. VLC is telling me the average bitrate is around 3500-4000kbps. I did the encoding using DVDFab instead of Handbrake, mainly because it's CUDA enabled so it's much faster. Haven't tried it in Handbrake yet...I'm skeptical that it would work any better.

Any ideas?

Thanks


It might be an interlace problem. The Roku player requires the video to be non-interlaced. HandBrake has a deinterlace (decomb default) option. If DVDFab has a deinterlace option, make sure you use it.
0 Kudos
krisbee
Level 7

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

It might be an interlace problem. The Roku player requires the video to be non-interlaced. HandBrake has a deinterlace (decomb default) option. If DVDFab has a deinterlace option, make sure you use it.


That's just good advice in general - lots of video have the A and B frames messed up anyway, and you always seem to get better results deinterlacing them (and reinterlacing later if you have to)...
0 Kudos