Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

"pjoshua5000" wrote:
"WilDD" wrote:
"RockyFord" wrote:
Question: Does Roksbox support bif files? If so how do I implement them for Roksbox? I know how to make them just not sure how to use them.

Yes. Put your bif file in the same folder as the video, and give it the same name as the video with .bif extension. Ex. if your video is Avatar.mp4, name the bif file Avatar.bif.

What is a "bif" file and what does it do.

bif files allow you to see your progression through a video when you FF or RW through it.
0 Kudos
Level 8

"WilDD" wrote:

bif files allow you to see your progression through a video when you FF or RW through it.

I did a Google search for bif file extension and found many entries but none that I found seemed to mention this use. Can you point me to a place where I can find info about using/creating bif files for this purpose.

Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
Level 8

"Gilgamesh" wrote:
"WilDD" wrote:

I did a Google search for bif file extension and found many entries but none that I found seemed to mention this use. Can you point me to a place where I can find info about using/creating bif files for this purpose.

Thanks in advance.

http://forums.rokulabs.com/viewtopic.php?p=150483&sid=b1f89909feb0830bfecabcffaa0ce1f1
0 Kudos
Level 7

Help - can't play a certain file

Hi - I have a couple of issues , one that seems to be a bug, and another one that I have no clue and hope that someone can help.
Ok - the bug?
Using PVD, I exported to a video.xml file. My export contained a genre of "Children's/Family"
Issue is that when the RoksBox pulls the genre out of the video.xml, it does not substitute the "/" (%2F I think?), and seems to add an extra / into a GET request:
<p>The requested URL /Movies///images/Adventure/Family/Adventure/ was not found on this server.</p>\n

This causes this particular genre not to be accessible by RoksBox.

Second issue.
I have a movie in mp4 format - same as the rest of my movies. Plays perfectly on my Tivo, and on all other devices in my house, however, will not play in RoksBox. It was burned (apparently) identically to the other lots of videos on my server.
When I run tcpdump on the stream, I see the stream starting, and plenty of activity. Then the Roku starts sending ZeroWindow messages, and from this point, the server only sends TCP Keepalives, and the Roku responds with ZeroWindow.

Any clue what could be causing this? Any hints on troubleshooting this?

Cheers
Colin
0 Kudos
Level 8

Re: Help - can't play a certain file

"rossi141" wrote:
Second issue.
I have a movie in mp4 format - same as the rest of my movies. Plays perfectly on my Tivo, and on all other devices in my house, however, will not play in RoksBox. It was burned (apparently) identically to the other lots of videos on my server.
When I run tcpdump on the stream, I see the stream starting, and plenty of activity. Then the Roku starts sending ZeroWindow messages, and from this point, the server only sends TCP Keepalives, and the Roku responds with ZeroWindow.

Cheers
Colin

mp4 is only a container, not a codec. Is the video in the file encoded as h.264?
0 Kudos
Level 7

"rossi141" wrote:
Ok - the bug?
Using PVD, I exported to a video.xml file. My export contained a genre of "Children's/Family"
Issue is that when the RoksBox pulls the genre out of the video.xml, it does not substitute the "/" (%2F I think?), and seems to add an extra / into a GET request:
<p>The requested URL /Movies///images/Adventure/Family/Adventure/ was not found on this server.</p>\n

This causes this particular genre not to be accessible by RoksBox.

This should be fixed now (v1.13.5). However, Roksbox treats slashes differently when they are used in multilevel subcategories (inside square brackets) such as [TV/The Office]. In this case, you would have a main category of TV, with a subcategory of The Office, not a main category of TV/The Office.
0 Kudos
Level 7

10.29.2010 UPDATE: I fixed this problem by changing UseCanonicalName to Off in /private/etc/httpd/httpd.conf on the Mac OSX apache web server.

Hi,
Roksbox won't connect to my apache server on Mac OS X (Tiger 10.4). I'm also having a problem viewing folders from a linux and WinXP laptop on the same home wifi network, so i don't think it's a Roksbox-specific problem. On the linux and WinXP laptops, when i point each browser to http://192.168.1.5/, they pick up my index.html just fine. But when i change the URL in each browser to to http://192.168.1.5/Media, both linux and WinXP change the URL to http://js-mac.local/Media which they then cannot find: js-mac.local is the hostname of my Mac OS X apache server. Why would both linux (Firefox) and WinXP (IE) make this substitution? I assume that Roksbox is doing the same thing and that's why it won't let me browse /Media/Videos and /Media/Photos.

regards,
js.
0 Kudos
Level 7

"philsoft" wrote:
"rossi141" wrote:
Second issue.

Cheers
Colin

mp4 is only a container, not a codec. Is the video in the file encoded as h.264?

I checked, it is definitely h.264 (I use Handbrake, and have a profile setup for my Roku. I use this same profile for everything and have no issues usually).
Just to be on the safe side, I re-ripped it - I still get the same issue - only with this file, not with any others.
Anyone got any hints on how I can troubleshoot this?
0 Kudos
Level 7

"WilDD" wrote:
"RockyFord" wrote:
Question: Does Roksbox support bif files? If so how do I implement them for Roksbox? I know how to make them just not sure how to use them.

Yes. Put your bif file in the same folder as the video, and give it the same name as the video with .bif extension. Ex. if your video is Avatar.mp4, name the bif file Avatar.bif.

Thanks, I'll try it when I have a chance. Smiley Very Happy
0 Kudos
Level 7

"rossi141" wrote:
"philsoft" wrote:
"rossi141" wrote:
Second issue.

Cheers
Colin

I checked, it is definitely h.264 (I use Handbrake, and have a profile setup for my Roku. I use this same profile for everything and have no issues usually).
Just to be on the safe side, I re-ripped it - I still get the same issue - only with this file, not with any others.
Anyone got any hints on how I can troubleshoot this?

I sometimes have movies that start to load and then the progress bar stops (forever if I don't take some action) they will usually start and play properly if I just FFWD a few seconds and let it rebuffer. I don't know why it hangs on some movies and not others. however since I moved to apache 2.2 from Mongoose this problem has become very rare. (usually when I'm trying different encoding options)

I hope this helps, I'm not sure if I addressed your problem or not, I've never done a tcpdump when I had these stalls.
0 Kudos