Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bakerjw
Level 7

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

I've been looking for a download link on the Roksbox website and for the life of me I can't find one.
Is it still active?
0 Kudos
krisbee
Level 7

Absolutely, I bought mine last month...

I think you go here:
http://roksbox.com/home/index.php?optio ... view=login

and click on register.

You will also have to add the channel to your roku:
http://roksbox.com/home/index.php?optio ... &Itemid=69
0 Kudos
joeyweaver
Level 7

"krisbee" wrote:
Just to clarify my situation:
My apache server is on my Macbook, if I put the files there (locally), everything works fine...the movie plays on Roksbox perfectly. However, I want to store the files on a shared drive and have them linked. When I try doing that, that is when I get the error. If I view the server from a computer I can see everything that is located on my Macbook, but none of the symbolic links/aliases show up. If I manually type the alias that I put into httpd.conf I get the 403 error. So it is there but not giving me access. I checked permissions, and they seem to be correct.

That is what I mean, first, lets start making links within your macbook first, if the links work, then you know it is the shared drive. Put the file on the macbook, make a subdirectory under VIDEOS, see if it plays, link to the file in the main directory, see if it plays - if they both play, then you know it is the shared drive that is the problem and not the links - if it doesn't play the link, you know they are at fault. From there you can start narrowing it down.

Ok...if I try to link to anything outside the WebServer/Documents folder it won't show up. Symlinks to folders within the WebServer/Documents folder work fine but going to files anywhere else on the Macbook or on the shared drive don't show up at all.
0 Kudos
krisbee
Level 7

Ok...if I try to link to anything outside the WebServer/Documents folder it won't show up. Symlinks to folders within the WebServer/Documents folder work fine but going to files anywhere else on the Macbook or on the shared drive don't show up at all.

Perfect - this means that permissions are locked down for any users other than you on those other directories (most likely)... this means your symlinks work but the permissions aren't right... make sure in your shared drive folder (Master or otherwise) to allow all users to at least READ the file - this should take care of the problem. Right now they only have access to list the folder contents is my guess.
0 Kudos
joeyweaver
Level 7

"krisbee" wrote:

Perfect - this means that permissions are locked down for any users other than you on those other directories (most likely)... this means your symlinks work but the permissions aren't right... make sure in your shared drive folder (Master or otherwise) to allow all users to at least READ the file - this should take care of the problem. Right now they only have access to list the folder contents is my guess.

The problem does seem to be permissions. According to the info they are set correctly, but something is still not letting me get access to the drive.
0 Kudos
krisbee
Level 7

I would ask on a Mac forum at this point. They will be better versed in fixing the situation. Sometimes if the master directory isn't open, then everything underneath it will be a problem, even though your subfolders are set right. For example, my share is mounted at /mnt/externalhd Now in there, folder 1 may be set open to all, but if /mnt/externalhd isn't, the full path of /mnt/externalhd/1 won't work right.
0 Kudos
pjoshua5000
Level 7

Is it currently possible to drop on image into a folder and have that be used for the default poster art for all videos in that folder without the need to rename a picture for each of the videos.

If so, how do I do it, if not is it possible to add this feature.

thanks

Josh
0 Kudos
f_n_monster
Level 7

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel (Mac Web server)

I consider myself pretty technically savy. I'm not a computer whiz but I am a lot more knowledgeable than the average person. However, I can not for the life of me get roksbox to work with my mac. Mac has a built in apache server. All you have to do is enable web sharing in "Sharing" under "Preferences". Pretty simple, right? You would think. But I can not get this to work. I just paid 15$ for this. How can I contact the developer. I need a refund or something because I am not paying for something that I can not use.
0 Kudos
krisbee
Level 7

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel (Mac Web server)

"f_n_monster" wrote:
I consider myself pretty technically savy. I'm not a computer whiz but I am a lot more knowledgeable than the average person. However, I can not for the life of me get roksbox to work with my mac. Mac has a built in apache server. All you have to do is enable web sharing in "Sharing" under "Preferences". Pretty simple, right? You would think. But I can not get this to work. I just paid 15$ for this. How can I contact the developer. I need a refund or something because I am not paying for something that I can not use.

My linux system had the same thing. The first thing you need to do is see if you can see your webserver from a different computer in your home network - if you can't it is your server that is at fault. I setup my apache, and it turns out it was my FIREWALL that blocked traffic because I didn't tell it I had a webserver running (which is how cyberthieves can get info away from your computer). I figured it out when I couldn't see the webserver on a DIFFERENT computer - if you are on the same computer, you have your own permissions so it seems like it is working, but it isn't. Also, you don't just share webfolders, you have to set it up so there is an actual webserver serving the pages (put an index.html in the root directory and see if it comes up on your webbrowser).
0 Kudos
WilDD
Level 7

"pjoshua5000" wrote:
Is it currently possible to drop on image into a folder and have that be used for the default poster art for all videos in that folder without the need to rename a picture for each of the videos.

If so, how do I do it, if not is it possible to add this feature.

thanks

Josh

This currently can't be done, but it sounds reasonable to include it in a future release. I should have it available in a few days. I'll let you know when it's ready and how to use it.
0 Kudos