Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 10

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

"Arwen" wrote:
Did something change in BIF files since September 2013?...

I have had Roksbox for as long as I have had Roku. I had a Roku 2 that I recently upgraded to a Roku 3. My bif files allwork the same as they always have.

I suppose the problem you are sewing "could" be related to the server you are using. I use Apache. The other thing is that I know bif files will not work through the usb.

I do know that the server you are using must expose any files that you want Roksbox to use so there may be settings in the server configuration that are causing the problem.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"Elijah_Baley" wrote:
"Arwen" wrote:
Did something change in BIF files since September 2013?...

I have had Roksbox for as long as I have had Roku. I had a Roku 2 that I recently upgraded to a Roku 3. My bif files allwork the same as they always have.

I suppose the problem you are sewing "could" be related to the server you are using. I use Apache. The other thing is that I know bif files will not work through the usb.

I do know that the server you are using must expose any files that you want Roksbox to use so there may be settings in the server configuration that are causing the problem.

Thanks for the information. I'd forgotten, (or didn't know), BIF files don't work with USB. That was my first try because it was simple.

Checking the web server's log, I find that it wants the BIF file named with capitals, as in ".BIF", not ".bif". All mine are lower case.
Seems Roksbox checks for upper case first, (which failed), then lower case, (which succeeds). But, does not do the right thing with the lower case one.

192.168.0.102 192.168.0.10 - [08/Feb/2014:12:47:21 -0600] "GET /Media/Videos/Crime/Dirty_Harry/1_Dirty_Harry.BIF HTTP/1.1" 404 345 "-" "Roku/DVP-5.3 (025.03E03063A)"
192.168.0.102 192.168.0.10 - [08/Feb/2014:12:50:47 -0600] "GET /Media/Videos/Crime/Dirty_Harry/1_Dirty_Harry.bif HTTP/1.1" 200 2938688 "-" "Roku/DVP-5.3 (025.03E03063A)"

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. It's annoying to rename the BIF files but easy enough to do. Perhaps the developer of Roksbox can find something subtle that changed
and caused this behaviour. In the mean time, I'm back to watching movies, including new ones.

Roksbox developer - Thanks for a wonderful product. I will be using it again, (after a move), and prefer Roksbox over the others because it both works with a Linux server and
I won't have to change anything, (except the BIF file names).
Arwen Evenstar
Middle Earth
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

Hmmm... All my bif files, and every other file on my systems, have lowercase extensions.

I have seen problems from some sources that default to upper case extensions.

BTW there are several free file renaming utilities that you can use to bulk rename files under Windows. Also there are a bunch under Linux. I use one called "ReNamer.exe"
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

In regards to the BIF files:

I spoke too soon. The first try was "Dirty Harry", which after renaming the ".bif" to ".BIF" worked.
A bit later after renaming all my Dirty Harry movies' BIF files, I tried playing "The Dead Pool", and
it failed, no trick FF/REW. So I went back to the first movie, "Dirty Harry", and it still plays with the
BIF file.

Since I use Linux as the source for the web content, I tried using a hard link on the files;

ln the_dead_pool.bif the_dead_pool.BIF"

That did not work. In fact it's a bit odd since the web server log shows Roksbox trying to get a
BIF file after it already succeeded in the prior attempt.

Perhaps there is something in my web server, Lighttpd, that is different enough to cause problems?

I'm using a reasonably current copy of Lighttpd, 1.4.32-r3.

As time permits, I'll dig out my old home server, which has many movies and T.V. show episodes
on it, (about 1TB), all with working BIF files. (It also uses Lighttpd, but probably is a year old or
more.)
Arwen Evenstar
Middle Earth
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

I know that Apache properly serves movies and bif files under both Windows and Linux. You might want to give Apache a try at least to prove the problem is or is not server related.

Apache configuration is a bit tedious but not very hard.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"Elijah_Baley" wrote:
I know that Apache properly serves movies and bif files under both Windows and Linux. You might want to give Apache a try at least to prove the problem is or is not server related.

Apache configuration is a bit tedious but not very hard.

Thanks for pointing me to a solution. Apache seems to work fine. It appears that
Lighttpd describes the BIF files as octet streams, while Apache does not.

Plus, Apache was trivial to install and configure using Gentoo Linux. I think I
changed one line, the document root. And that was it.

I'll give this a longer term try, (watching all 3 of the "Back to the Future" movies
in 720p or 1080p, skipping the slow scenes).
Arwen Evenstar
Middle Earth
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

"Arwen" wrote:
Thanks for pointing me to a solution. Apache seems to work fine. It appears that
Lighttpd describes the BIF files as octet streams, while Apache does not.

Plus, Apache was trivial to install and configure using Gentoo Linux. I think I
changed one line, the document root. And that was it.

I'll give this a longer term try, (watching all 3 of the "Back to the Future" movies
in 720p or 1080p, skipping the slow scenes).

I am glad that you are up and running. I wonder why Apache is so much easier to setup under Linux than it is under Windows. Under Windows there are at least 5 or 6 lines to change and many more if the setup spans multiple disks (volumes under Linux)

But after a brief stint with Mongoose that ended worse than my marriage I switched to Apache and my Roksbox has been rock solid ever since. Also due to the power and flexibility of Apache I have been able to do several things on my network that otherwise would have been quite difficult all running on a twelve year old computer that also doubles as my music/audiobook player.
0 Kudos
Level 7

I have been happily using roksbox for a year with a windows pc running apache.

Has anyone tried to use a cheap android device as a webserver? I have seen apps that will turn an android device into a web server, but have never tried it with Roksbox. it seems to me a cheap solution rather than running a windows PC.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

"farside847" wrote:

Has anyone tried to use a cheap android device as a webserver? I have seen apps that will turn an android device into a web server, but have never tried it with Roksbox. it seems to me a cheap solution rather than running a windows PC.

I have not heard of an android device being used in that way but I think it should be possible. However I do not think there is Apache for Android but some other server software should work.

I have heard, and seen, of an Apache server running on a Raspberry PI. It is running well and handling several hard disks with a total of over 5tb of files currently being served. It runs Linux so it should be a quite easy system to get setup and installed. In fact I an considering getting one and using it to power my server(s). In effect it could become an NAS with the advantage of being nearly infinitely expandable and using much less power than my current setup.

EDIT: It looks like there is an Android Apache. I would still trust Linux a bit more.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"farside847" wrote:

Some have even used a NAS hard drive set up which has apache on it, so no computer is running, just a hard drive hooked up to their network... Probably cheaper in the long run, plus think of the storage!
0 Kudos