Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WilDD
Level 7

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

"themann00" wrote:
Is it possible to have both a webserver AND usb configured? It seems whenever I configure one, the other no longer shows up. I want ROKSBOX to be my one-stop shop!


The best way to do this is to create another account. Then use the second account as the USB account.

From the main menu, go to:

Options - > Manage Users -> Add User

Give the new account a username such as USB, a description such as USB Access, and optionally a password. Then you can choose between your original account and the new USB account whenever you start Roksbox, or you can log off and log back on as either account.
0 Kudos
WilDD
Level 7

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

Opinions Wanted

The next upgrade to Roksbox is going to be the ability to stop and restart an audio file from where you left off (like you can do with videos).

What new feature(s) would you like to see Roksbox provide? Let me know what you think. I can't guarantee I can do them all, but I will do the ones that are possible and reasonable.
0 Kudos
Gilgamesh
Level 8

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

"WilDD" wrote:
Opinions Wanted

The next upgrade to Roksbox is going to be the ability to stop and restart an audio file from where you left off (like you can do with videos).


You know THAT is what I have been wanting for a while now! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:


What new feature(s) would you like to see Roksbox provide? Let me know what you think. I can't guarantee I can do them all, but I will do the ones that are possible and reasonable.


I don't know if it is either possible or practical or even wanted enough to make it reasonable to code in but I would like a "Jump ahead" of about five minutes. (Maybe by pressing the "*" key while a video or audio is playing.

Also the ability to remember and jump to the last video played or maybe even a recently watched row where the "search" is now with the search an additional row up. This row could be limited to 10-15 videos. That way, if something happened to interrupt a playing video and we have to exit the channel, it would be easy to go to it and pick up viewing where we left off.

I am sure there are a few other things that I would like to see but I cannot think of them right now.
0 Kudos
tfrost2002
Level 7

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

I am having trouble getting set up for this service. I installed Mongoose and reached the point of "test your web server by opening a web browser and entering http://localhost in the URL window" I then get a "Problem loading page" screen. When I attempt to "Now find the ip address of your computer by opening a command window (start -> run -> cmd) and typing ipconfig. Your ip address will show up as IP Address", a dos black screen flashes open and then closes not allowing for me to determine the ip address. Since I was attempting to take this step by step I have not been able to go beyond this point yet.

What needs to be done to continue? Also, how do I uninstall Mongoose, if necessary, it does not show up in add/remove programs but does in the start menu.

Thank you in advance for any help you may lend.
0 Kudos
CorporateDog
Level 7

Possible Bug w/ Subcategories?

According to the online documentation...

http://roksbox.com/home/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=123&Itemid=97

If you are using an XML file, you can display information about subcategories using xml or nfo files. The information files should be called poster.xml, or poster.nfo, and located in the images folder below your video root folder.


The documentation goes on to explain that the directory structures under the 'images' folder should mimic the category structures in your main 'videos.xml' file, if you want to provide additional information/images for them.

Here's the thing: while Roksbox successfully finds my 'poster.jpg' image for a subcategory, it WON'T pick up an .xml file named 'poster.xml'. I have to give it a name that corresponds with the subcategory name instead (like 'Firefly.xml' for a [TV Shows/Firefly] category chain).

It's admittedly a minor thing, and a workaround exists, but either the documentation should be updated, or the code should be updated. I easily spent an hour pulling my hair out over it.

PS: While we're making a wishlist for the next version, I'd like to request the ability to describe subcategories in the main 'videos.xml' file, rather than having to create separate (and potentially redundant) XML/image files for them.

Also PS: Great app! Although I haven't pulled the trigger yet on purchasing it, it'll be a must-buy when the demo period is over. The streaming from my NAS is flawless.
0 Kudos
WilDD
Level 7

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

"tfrost2002" wrote:
I am having trouble getting set up for this service. I installed Mongoose and reached the point of "test your web server by opening a web browser and entering http://localhost in the URL window" I then get a "Problem loading page" screen.


It looks like Mongoose didn't get installed properly for some reason. When you click Start Button - > All Programs, does "Mongoose web server" show up in the list? If not, retry the install. If it is there, follow the instructions at http://roksbox.com/home/index.php?optio ... cle&id=103 to change your default web root (start at step 3). Make sure you reboot your computer when done so Mongoose will use the new web root.

When I attempt to "Now find the ip address of your computer by opening a command window (start -> run -> cmd) and typing ipconfig. Your ip address will show up as IP Address", a dos black screen flashes open and then closes not allowing for me to determine the ip address. Since I was attempting to take this step by step I have not been able to go beyond this point yet.


Maybe the instructions aren't as clear as they should be.

Click the Start Button
Click Run
Type "cmd" (without the quotes), then click OK.

This should bring up a black screen, where you can type "ipconfig" and show your ip address. It will probably be listed as IPv4 Address under Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection.

What needs to be done to continue? Also, how do I uninstall Mongoose, if necessary, it does not show up in add/remove programs but does in the start menu.


If Mongoose is installed, go to Start Button -> All Programs -> Mongoose web server, and there will be an option to uninstall there.

Thank you in advance for any help you may lend.
0 Kudos
WilDD
Level 7

Re: Possible Bug w/ Subcategories?

"CorporateDog" wrote:
According to the online documentation...

http://roksbox.com/home/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=123&Itemid=97

If you are using an XML file, you can display information about subcategories using xml or nfo files. The information files should be called poster.xml, or poster.nfo, and located in the images folder below your video root folder.


The documentation goes on to explain that the directory structures under the 'images' folder should mimic the category structures in your main 'videos.xml' file, if you want to provide additional information/images for them.

Here's the thing: while Roksbox successfully finds my 'poster.jpg' image for a subcategory, it WON'T pick up an .xml file named 'poster.xml'. I have to give it a name that corresponds with the subcategory name instead (like 'Firefly.xml' for a [TV Shows/Firefly] category chain).

It's admittedly a minor thing, and a workaround exists, but either the documentation should be updated, or the code should be updated. I easily spent an hour pulling my hair out over it.


You're right. It should be the subcategory name with a .xml or .nfo extension. Originally it was poster.xml or poster.nfo, and was later changed, but the documentation wasn't changed. I have now changed the documentation on the website. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

And sorry about the hair.

PS: While we're making a wishlist for the next version, I'd like to request the ability to describe subcategories in the main 'videos.xml' file, rather than having to create separate (and potentially redundant) XML/image files for them.


I'll see what I can come up with on this.

Also PS: Great app! Although I haven't pulled the trigger yet on purchasing it, it'll be a must-buy when the demo period is over. The streaming from my NAS is flawless.


I'm glad you like it. I'm always looking for ways to make it better.
0 Kudos
tfrost2002
Level 7

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

I was able to find the ip address but when checking for the proper folder by entering the ip address in the browser "C:/www" did not show up but it did show a "parent directory" with nothing else on the list. The directory exists under My Computer C: drive in windows. What now?
0 Kudos
gkpotluri
Level 7

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

Hi,

I am not able to add my NAS drive to the Roksbox. I am not able to find the path for the content in the NAS. I have a Lenovo ix2-dl. The path it shows for the content when I log in using SSH into the NAS is /nfs/Movies. But when i try to enter the same in the setup wizard it say not available. Seems like I am doing something wrong.

Thanks,
gkpotluri.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Gilgamesh
Level 8

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

"tfrost2002" wrote:
I was able to find the ip address but when checking for the proper folder by entering the ip address in the browser "C:/www" did not show up but it did show a "parent directory" with nothing else on the list. The directory exists under My Computer C: drive in windows. What now?


I don't use Mongoose as it proved too flaky so I switched to the much more reliable Apache.

However under Apache the address is not "c:\www" or anything like that rather it goes like "http://192.168.1.xxx/" with that address being the address of my server PC. (I think "Localhost" or some such will work from the serving computer as well.) Just enter the address in a browser and the served directory should show up.
0 Kudos