Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Delco
Level 7

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

"bladefallcon" wrote:
the coding for the website needs to be made better!!!
...it would not let me register because it says I cannot use any characters other than a-z, meaning no numbers..even though it takes an alphanumeric code...but IE on the windows machine allowed it. How do you screw that up so that firefox doesn't work??? Seriously.....

SO ROKSBOX CAN ONLY BE USED IF YOU USE AN IE BROWSER! THIS IS STUPID.
AND WHOMEVER DECIDES NOT TO FIX IT IS STUPID.
Or at least replace some text on the page to tell Firefox users to keep asking for a new code till you get one without numbers.
0 Kudos
trekkeriii
Level 10

"Delco" wrote:
"bladefallcon" wrote:
...it would not let me register because it says I cannot use any characters other than a-z, meaning no numbers..even though it takes an alphanumeric code...but IE on the windows machine allowed it. How do you screw that up so that firefox doesn't work??? Seriously.....

Or at least replace some text on the page to tell Firefox users to keep asking for a new code till you get one without numbers.

Dude, I would read the Forum Rules about personal attacks and flaming. Might get yourself a timeout by the moderators if you keep making posts like this. Not to mention posting the same thing in multiple threads, which is also mentioned in the rules. Calling developers/engineers stupid is not going to encourage them to help you, just a piece of additional advice.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos
Gilgamesh
Level 8

"Delco" wrote:
"bladefallcon" wrote:

As I said in the other thread since I can use any browser I have I must believe you are unablu to fix whatever it is that is wrong with your settings so you must be talking about yourself.
0 Kudos
kantarjiev
Level 7

I'm having a lot of problems with Roksbox crashing my Roku 2 XS when streaming 720p HD. See

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=52314&p=396712#p396712

The crashes are random - that is, sometimes the video will play for 10 minutes or more and then start to stutter and stall, ultimately crashing the Roku entirely; sometimes it manages no more than 10 seconds and crashes back to the roksbox control screen. There also appears to be a problem that's related to resuming play rather than playing from the beginning; resuming play almost always crashes back to the roksbox control after 10-15 seconds.

The video claims to be

File Types: Mkv
Video Codec: H264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part10)(avc1)
Language: English
Resolution: 1276x720
Frame Rate: 23.976215
Audio Codec: A52 Audio (aka AC3)(a52)
Chanels: 3F2R/LFE
Sample Rate: 48000 Hz
Bitrate: 384 kb/s

Help? When it's playing, it's beautiful; the codec can clearly handle the format.

Oh, and the remote control becomes quite unresponsive when the stuttering starts, if that's any clue.
0 Kudos
krisbee
Level 7

"kantarjiev" wrote:
I'm having a lot of problems with Roksbox crashing my Roku 2 XS when streaming 720p HD.

When it's playing, it's beautiful; the codec can clearly handle the format.

Oh, and the remote control becomes quite unresponsive when the stuttering starts, if that's any clue.

What webserver are you using? If not apache, I would recommend switching to apache...
0 Kudos
Highlighted
JSW
Level 7

Hi,

I've been using Roksbox for several years now and love it, but I have a few questions.

1) Has anyone been having problems with themes? I have three Rokus running Roksbox, and they are each set to show themes automatically, but I've noticed for some time that they aren't working. Most recently was the 4th of July, no theme, just the black background. I could manually select the 4th of July theme and see it, but as soon as I changed back to the automatic option, it was gone.

2) I also noticed we had a recent software update on Roksbox. Maybe I’ve just never found it, but is there a page that shows what was added/changed in each update (and maybe when they were released)? If not, would it be possible to have that? Right now I kind of stumble across new features by accident.

3) This is a request I’ve made a couple of times, but is there a chance of getting a delete option added for movies? One of the things I use Roksbox for is part of my homemade DVR setup, and it would be great if I could delete TV shows after I watch them. Especially with a verification first, so I don't delete something by accident! Right now I go to my server periodically to clean them up.

Thanks as always for your great product!
0 Kudos
PalmFrond
Level 7

I have a Micca EP350 G2 media player for some of the long TV series stuff - a bit more convenient than thumb drive on the Roku. Works well enough but I'm using composite to the TVs. Thought RoksBox would be slick.

I am no wizard but I tried everything I could think of, I was unable to connect with RoksBox. Got frustrated and deleted the channel.

Still like the idea of RoksBox. Particularly if the GUI is better than the one on the EP350.

My Mac connects with smb://ip#/c

When I put the IP address in Safari, it goes to Neighborhood Web with the Ip#/home.html

Help would be appreciated or knowing I just have the wrong stuff to connect to RoksBox so I can stop wondering.

Thanks.
Doug
0 Kudos
Zudnic
Level 7

For the record, anyone using PVD and generating an XML file must edit the XML file. PVD by default adds a path to the video file that is local to your computer (e.g., c:\myvideos) when the path needs to be relative to your web server.

If you don't do this you get a 404 when playing the video file on your Roksbox.

After generating the PVD XML file, open it up and do a CTRL+F. In my case, I needed to replace
z:\dvd video\mp4\
with
MP4\

Just something I worked out and thought I would add if anyone comes across this in the future.
0 Kudos
DallasSoxFan
Level 7

Problems with an LT

I was hoping someone could shed some light into this for me.

Here is my problem: On my Roku LTs, Roksbox playback is punctuated with 1 second long audio/video blackouts every minute or so. The video continues happily on its way, but with these occasional display hiccups. This problem doesn't exist on my original first generation Rokus, just the LTs. The LTs don't have this behavior on any other channel I use (netflix, amazon video, pandora, PBS Kids, or Amazon Cloud Player), just on Roksbox.

Here is my setup: I use a RaspberryPi (low powered linux) running Raspian and lighttpd as the webserver. It is networked through a wireless bridge to the main router. It works very well and I can reliably get 3 concurrent streams playing to Roksbox. As for media storage, I use directory browsing with the video file, cover jpg, and xml metadata all having the same file name. This also works peachy. (Actually, I should probably write up my instructions for the metadata - I've really streamlined the process). My media is all ripped from physical disks that I own. I rip using handbrake using the original AppleTV profile. I don't really care about getting to 1080 with my rips. The vast majority of them are from my kids and they aren't HD snobs so my media comes from DVD not Bluray.

I have 4 Roku's in the house. Two of them are first generation (original) Rokus and the other two are Roku LTs. One of the first gens is wired, the other is wireless. Like I said, the first gen rokus work fine, I just have these problems with the LT.

I am fine solving my problem by getting a Roku 3, but I'd like to at least know that will actually solve the problem. Re-encoding really isn't something I'd like to do (WAY too many videos), but I will do so if I hear that the Roku 3 won't help. Actually, I would probably look to ebay and get a couple of extra first generation ones instead!
0 Kudos
DallasSoxFan
Level 7

My method for roksbox metadata files

As promised in my other reply...

These instructions are for linux. This is more than capable of being used on Windows, but you will need to use alternate programs and figure it out yourself Smiley Happy

***save all files into the same directory or alter the commands to use the full path
1. Install xsltproc. This is a command-line application for converting one XML format to another using XSLT transformation.
sudo apt-get install xsltproc
2. Save the XSLT at the bottom of this post to a text file and name it nfo.xsl
3. Use this URL to download the metadata for your video file and name it movie.nfo (http://nfo.sprocket.dk)
4. Download the cover art for the movie using google images. Be sure you choose a jpg.
5. Use the following to remove all ampersands from the downloaded .nfo file
sudo perl -pi -e 's/&/and/g' movie.nfo
6. Use the following to convert the movie.nfo to movie.xml
sudo xsltproc -o movie.xml nfo.xsl movie.nfo
7. Rename your movie file, jpg, and movie.xml to all have the exact same case-sensitive file name (except the extension, of course).
8. Copy to your web server (IIS, Apache, Lighttpd, etc)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0" xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform">
<xslSmiley Surprisedutput method="xml" indent="yes"/>
<xsl:template name="divide">
<xslSmiley Tonguearam name="to-be-divided"/>
<xslSmiley Tonguearam name="delimiter"/>
<xsl:choose>
<xsl:when test="contains($to-be-divided,$delimiter)">
<name>
<xsl:value-of select="substring-before($to-be-divided,$delimiter)"/>
</name>
<xsl:call-template name="divide">
<xsl:with-param name="to-be-divided" select="substring-after($to-be-divided,$delimiter)"/>
<xsl:with-param name="delimiter" select="','"/>
</xsl:call-template>
</xsl:when>
<xslSmiley Surprisedtherwise>
<name>
<xsl:value-of select="$to-be-divided"/>
</name>
</xslSmiley Surprisedtherwise>
</xsl:choose>
</xsl:template>
<xsl:template match="movie">
<movie>
<origtitle>
<xsl:value-of select="title"/>
</origtitle>
<year>
<xsl:value-of select="year"/>
</year>
<genre>
<xsl:value-of select="genre"/>
<!--<xsl:call-template name="divide">
<xsl:with-param name="to-be-divided" select="genre"/>
<xsl:with-param name="delimiter" select="','"/>
</xsl:call-template> -->
</genre>
<mpaa>Rated <xsl:value-of select="mpaa"/></mpaa>
<director>
<xsl:for-each select="director">
<xsl:value-of select="concat(., substring(',', 2 - (position() != last())))"/>
</xsl:for-each>
</director>
<actors>
<xsl:for-each select="actor">
<xsl:value-of select="concat(name, substring(',', 2 - (position() != last())))"/>
</xsl:for-each>
</actors>
<description>
<xsl:value-of select="outline"/>
</description>
<length>
<xsl:value-of select="translate(runtime,translate(runtime,'0123456789',''),'')"/>
</length>
</movie>
</xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>
0 Kudos