Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

I have been using a WD MyBookLive drive with Roksbox for a while with a lot of success. I just purchased a new Seagate Central 4 TB drive that I would like to get working with Roksbox as well, but am having trouble getting the settings to work. I have DLNA enabled on the drive and can see it within Windows. I am just not sure how to configure the settings in Roks to get it to work. I have tried pointing to http://ip address//Public/Videos for videos, but it is not working.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

"JSJarvis" wrote:
I have been using a WD MyBookLive drive with Roksbox for a while with a lot of success. I just purchased a new Seagate Central 4 TB drive that I would like to get working with Roksbox as well, but am having trouble getting the settings to work. I have DLNA enabled on the drive and can see it within Windows. I am just not sure how to configure the settings in Roks to get it to work. I have tried pointing to http://ip address//Public/Videos for videos, but it is not working.

The Roku can only see up to 2TB
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

"JSJarvis" wrote:

Roksbox and Roku are not DLNA clients. There is only one DLNA channel that works as far as I know and that is Chaneru Beta channel. So you do not need DLNA turned on for Roksbox.

Also, are you using Roksbox or Rokksbox cloud?

You did not say what server you are using unless the drive has its own server but I have a 3TB drive working just fine with Roksbox Cloud and Apache as my server so there is no reason a 4TB drive should not work as well.

If the drive is network enabled and has its own server built in then that is another issue and someone with knowledge of the drive involved my be able to help. But again DLNA is meaningless to Roksbox and a DLNA server will not work.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"Gilgamesh" wrote:
Roksbox and Roku are not DLNA clients. There is only one DLNA channel that works as far as I know and that is Chaneru Beta channel. So you do not need DLNA turned on for Roksbox.

Also, are you using Roksbox or Rokksbox cloud?

You did not say what server you are using unless the drive has its own server but I have a 3TB drive working just fine with Roksbox Cloud and Apache as my server so there is no reason a 4TB drive should not work as well.

If the drive is network enabled and has its own server built in then that is another issue and someone with knowledge of the drive involved my be able to help. But again DLNA is meaningless to Roksbox and a DLNA server will not work.

Thanks Gilgamesh. The WD drive I have been using has a media server built into it, which is how I have been able to use Roksbox Cloud up to this point. This new Seagate Central drive does not appear to have its own server built in, at least from what I can see. I may have to just break down and set up my own server. Might be the best thing anyway since I could use both my old WD 2 TB drive along with the new 4 TB drive for media storage.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

"JSJarvis" wrote:

Thanks Gilgamesh. The WD drive I have been using has a media server built into it, which is how I have been able to use Roksbox Cloud up to this point. This new Seagate Central drive does not appear to have its own server built in, at least from what I can see. I may have to just break down and set up my own server. Might be the best thing anyway since I could use both my old WD 2 TB drive along with the new 4 TB drive for media storage.

Just a few suggestions about a media server:

Use Apache as you server it is more flexible and has greater stability than any other I have tried,

Do not bother with an expensive computer, serving video really requires little computing power. I acquired my last server form Tiger Direct as a refurb for 49.00 and it has been running great for the last year. You also do not need an operating system, if you use Windows, past XP. Windows 7 works but is not needed for serving video.

Dedicate the server to that purpose. You can run multiple serving programs on the server but do not do much else on it. I run Apache and The Chaneru Server and from time to time The PS3 media server. They all work fine and I have never had a crash even though I am running a cheap, low power, computer.

If you run Apache be sure these lines exist in its config file:
=======
EnableSendfile Off
EnableMMap Off
Win32DisableAcceptEx
=======
Those lines seem to be needed for some installations and have no downside for video serving even when they are not actually needed.
=======

Enjoy your server if that is the way you go.

BTW: I use TightVNC to manage my server and it seems to not interfere with operations and means I do not need a monitor, mouse or keyboard hooked up the the server once I get everything going. I only ever need those if there is a problem that prevents correct boot-up and those have been virtually nonexistent.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

WilDD, hoping you (or someone else knowledgeable) could give a reply on this...

I'm trying to use Roksbox to watch some work-related live video from an m3u8 link. In concept it's working correctly except that a box keeps popping up overtop the video that says "HLS segment info". It needs dismissed but reappears after another 10 seconds or so. I've tried an .xml file using the xml method, and also a .pxml file using the directory method and the results are the same. I've tried USB and Dropbox as the source.

I've tried the exact code you have on the website for the sample NASA stream and also get the "HLS segment info" box, so I don't believe there's anything I'm doing wrong with the file. I'm using Roksbox Cloud on a Roku 3.

Any idea what might be causing this or how it might be fixed? I might be able to get a few new folks using Roksbox if we can get around this one hiccup.

Thanks!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"WilDD" wrote:
"GunGun" wrote:
I can't seem to finish registration. I created an account, paid with no issue, am able to log into the website, but every time I reach the registration page it tells me- "Please use letters only (a-z) in this field" on the registration code field. I have waited over a week and tried both options of the Roksbox software on my Roku. Both give alphanumeric confirmations, neither of them will be taken by the field. Help?

URL I used was- http://roksbox.com/register/

URL redirected to- http://roksbox.com/home/index.php?optio ... gistration

That's strange. I get the same thing in Firefox, but not in IE. If you have a machine with IE on it, try it from there. I will look at the Firefox problem.

I created an account but was never sent the email verification, so I can't log on to register Roksbox. If I try to recreate the account, it says user name and password already used. Help please?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I'm a new customer, and I had one question.

Are you planning on adding a feature to allow the app to jump straight to the videos screen on startup? I have no use for pictures and music, and once its set up i will rarely if ever go into options. maybe the main menu can come up when you hit *. I would gladly pay an extra donation for such a feature. Smiley Happy

thanks!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

"farside847" wrote:

Are you planning on adding a feature to allow the app to jump straight to the videos screen on startup? I have no use for pictures and music, and once its set up i will rarely if ever go into options. maybe the main menu can come up when you hit *. I would gladly pay an extra donation for such a feature. Smiley Happy

thanks!

You can set that option in the settings. In the Main Menu Preferences, choose Default Focused Media. Then Select Video Screen. When you launch Roksobox, the Video folder will be the default folder. Hope that helps.
0 Kudos
Level 7

"maw4156" wrote:
"farside847" wrote:

thanks!

You can set that option in the settings. In the Main Menu Preferences, choose Default Focused Media. Then Select Video Screen. When you launch Roksobox, the Video folder will be the default folder. Hope that helps.

Yes, this is nice, but unfortunately this does not accomplish what I am looking for. I would like the app to start in the "video" mode, not simply highlight the video option from the main menu. I want the main menu to be gone entirely. It seems like when you select "videos" it loads a second application. I wonder if there is some way to load this application directly without first loading up the full menu?
0 Kudos