Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
JSW
Level 7

Re: roksbox -Streaming Local Media Channel Available for Tes

Hi,

Is anyone using MCEBuddy version 2.1 with Roksbox? I've been using version 1.1 for some time to convert TV shows I've recorded with the Windows Media Center. MCEBuddy converts the file to an .mp4, removes the commercials and puts the new file at a specified location. You can also tell it to store the new file by show, so each series you record gets its own subfolder. I have a 'Videos\TV\Recorded\' file structure set up for Roksbox, so once a show has been converted, it's available to any of my Rokus commercial free (kind of like a whole-house DVR).

I recently rebuilt my media server, and I put the new 2.1 version on it. I'm not sure what all 2.x offers over 1.x, but one thing I noticed right away is that it now creates a season subfolder and gets the actual name of the episode. So I end up with things like 'Videos\TV\Recorded\Fringe\Season 04\Nothing as It Seems.mp4'. Version 1.1 doesn't do the subfolder for seasons, and it gives the file itself a generic name such as 'Fringe_KPTM_03-30-12_09-00'.

The problem is Roksbox won't play the .mp4 files created by version 2.1. It either goes to a black screen after loading the file, or it shows a still frame from the video while the audio plays. Has anyone been able to successfully use MCEBuddy 2.x with Roksbox, and if so, what options (recording quality, etc.) are you using?

Thanks for the help!
0 Kudos
scarpent
Level 7

Hi. I've been using Roksbox for some time now and everything has been fine/stable, but I think the recent category alphabetization update has "broken" the ordering of my shows. I'm using an XML file and have always had the categories/subcategories set to sort alphabetically, but relied on the order in the XML file for the actual shows within a category. But now the show names are sorted by alpha also. If I change the option to use XML file order it is fixed, but now my categories are also by XML file order. I'd like to maintain the old behavior if possible -- categories/subcategories alpha, shows by XML file order. Was this change in behavior to the file ordering intentional, or are there any other options for the ordering of individual entries?

Thanks!
0 Kudos
Andycabs
Level 7

Hi all. I love the added option for turning on and off subtitles. This was one of the best fixes yet as far as im concerned. However..with these latest updates I have noticed a small issue with the order of the sub catagory listings. I use a single XML file for all of my Movies and individual XML files for TV series episodes. Then when Roksbox encounters a files with a corasponding xml file it overrides the single xml file and uses the individual file for the episode. The movie catagories work just fine. But with the TV sub catagories for different shows and seasons, the files show up out of order. It seems to list the odd numbered episodes first then the even numbered episodes after. While this is not a major problem it is a tiny bit of an annoyance.. Here is an example of my faile naming. "DS9 S01E01.mp4, DS9 S01E02.mp4, DS9 S01E03.mp4" ect..ect. Episode 1 is always centered when the sub catagory menu comes up the the even numbered episodes are left of episode 1 and the odd numbered episodes are right of episode 1. Do I need to change sonething in the individual xml files to change the order? Here is an example of an individual episode XML file.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<video>
<title>Episode 1: The Homecoming</title>
<year>1994</year>
<genre>[TV, Deep Space 9, Season 2]</genre>
<mpaa>PG-13</mpaa>
<director>Gene Roddenberry</director>
<actors>Avery Brooks, Rene Auberjonois and Alexander Siddig </actors>
<description>Word that a previously thought dead Bajoran resistance legend is still alive sends Kira and Chief O'Brien to Cardassia IV to rescue him; meanwhile "The Circle", a sect of the Bajoran provisional government that is intent on wiping out alien influence, is sneaking into power.</description>
<length>43</length>
</video>

P.S. this only started happening with the recent updates to Roksbox.
Thanks
Andy
0 Kudos
jimboha_
Level 7

Howdy,
I just typed up a very detailed question, but lost it by accident!

Recap: Does the addition of an SD card into a Roku 2 unit with Roksbox improve the "large collection experience"?

I have 3000+ MP3s and 5000+ JPGs. Must I use frugal mode, or does Roku 2/Roksbox use the additional storage available on the SD card to parse the collection?

I can provide more details if needed, but this is the main question. I have searched the Roksbox FAQs and this forum, but found nothing.

Thank you.
Jimboha!
0 Kudos
Gilgamesh
Level 8

"jimboha!" wrote:
Howdy,

Recap: Does the addition of an SD card into a Roku 2 unit with Roksbox improve the "large collection experience"?

I have 3000+ MP3s and 5000+ JPGs. Must I use frugal mode, or does Roku 2/Roksbox use the additional storage available on the SD card to parse the collection?

I can provide more details if needed, but this is the main question. I have searched the Roksbox FAQs and this forum, but found nothing.

Thank you.
Jimboha!

I very much doubt that it would as the card is only used for storing the chs but channels do not use the card for storage or any other purpose.
0 Kudos
Andycabs
Level 7

"jimboha!" wrote:
Howdy,

Thank you.
Jimboha!

I have found that buy using the recommended software to create XML files for movies,Music and photos and than having Roksbox load the XML file, I greatly decreases the loading time. The Roksbox website has links to software for each format.
0 Kudos
jimboha_
Level 7

I have found that buy using the recommended software to create XML files for movies,Music and photos and than having Roksbox load the XML file, I greatly decreases the loading time. The Roksbox website has links to software for each format.

Faster is definitely good. But can it handle MORE without gettting bogged down?

And the question still remains: can it handle MORE (faster?) if there's an SD card present (in a Roku 2)?

If not, then I'll get a Roku without the SD slot. I don't plan on subscribing to very many channels. The older generation Roku offers more video OUTPUT options and includes USB.

Jimboha!
0 Kudos
Gilgamesh
Level 8

"jimboha!" wrote:
And the question still remains: can it handle MORE (faster?) if there's an SD card present (in a Roku 2)?

As I said a couple of posts ago but I will say a bit more forcefully now: NO, ABSOLUTELY NOT. The SD card is ONLY used for storing channels. The channels CANNOT use the SD card in any way.
0 Kudos
willalmo
Level 7

I am having a very hard time getting roksbox to work. I have apache setup on my pc and it seems to be working. Maybe I am doing something wrong, but the roku isn't getting it...posting.php?mode=reply&f=28&t=26058#
0 Kudos
krisbee
Level 7

"willalmo" wrote:
I am having a very hard time getting roksbox to work. I have apache setup on my pc and it seems to be working. Maybe I am doing something wrong, but the roku isn't getting it...posting.php?mode=reply&f=28&t=26058#

Have you tried on a seperate pc and see if you can see the files? No firewall setup?
0 Kudos